• April 16, 2024, 09:24:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 just died.  (Read 3898 times)

MrBOFH

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 just died.
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

My 3 month old DNS-323 just died last night. I was copying about 30Gb of data to it from my workstation when all of the sudden the power LED on the DNS-323 went off. Any attempts to revive it have failed. I tried removing both HD's, left it switched off since late last night. No joy.
When it died, it didn't even send a distress email.

I'm not sure if it's the PSU or the unit. Has anybody had this happen and can shine more light on a possible cause? Guess I'll have to RMA it to D-Link and hope for the best.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: DNS-323 just died.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »

Could be the power supply. Does it have a green LED on it? Are you sure the plug is in tight? Can you check the P/S to see if it is outputting power?
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

I agree, check the P/S first, it could be that it died.  They're not all that robust...
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

MrBOFH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »

Thanks Guys! It was the PSU. Actually the power cable. I noticed the LED on it flickering when I juggled the cable (It was solidly lit last night) Grabbed a spare power cable and after plugging it in the LED came back on and the DNS-323 is up and running again.

I checked the old power cable. No visible damage, but running a multi meter on it shows intermittent failure when the cable is juggled. I noticed one of my dog's tennis balls under the desk so it may have bumped the cable and caused the power issue.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »

Well, that was good.  The easiest part to replace. :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »

I think I read in D-Link's Terms and Conditions that they don't support tennis ball related power failures.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

MrBOFH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 08:13:36 AM »

I think I read in D-Link's Terms and Conditions that they don't support tennis ball related power failures.

*laughing* Actually, I think the cable from the 120 outlet to the brick  (not the PSU itself luckilly) had an internal manufacturing defect and started degrading. It looks like my problem was caused by that cable being moved slightly causing a conductivity failure.  Replacing the cable has resolved the issue and it passed the tennis ball torture. ::)

*legal disclaimer*
I cannot be sure about my original tennis ball statement, It could have easily been my foot or even  a truck passing by creating vibrations or any number of other events creating a force to move/vibrate that cable. Including but not limiting to loss of power or acts of God