• March 28, 2024, 02:56:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ports work for APs, but won't work for workstations  (Read 12051 times)

Sparty

• Level 1 Member
Ports work for APs, but won't work for workstations
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

I'm trying to help someone out that has the DES-1228P to manage their APs.  They wanted to use the other ports for regular workstations, but none of the ports will pass traffic.  The lights appear normal, no red, and the AP's can pass traffic just fine.

Is this a switch gone bad or just a configuration step we're missing? 

Thanks!

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Ports work for APs, but won't work for workstations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

For fear of stating the obvious, something is definitely amiss here.

Do we have any VLANs?

Are we plugging workstations into ports that had been used for APs successfully the moment before, or previously unused ports?

Along those same lines if you switch a workstation port with an AP port does the difficulty follow the port of the device?
non progredi est regredi

Sparty

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »

I did read about VLANs but didn't see any setup when I logged onto it remotely.

I know he did some trouble shooting with plugging things in, but I will try your suggestions and report back.

Just a note.  I'm helping someone at a grade school who has been given the responsibility of this issue.  He's not really the tech but that's how schools go.  This may be a slow going process as I have to make time to stop by during the day for assisting.  I state this so you don't think I abandoned the post and give up on it.  It may take some time for me to get back over there.  I'll also make sure to respond if/when we get it figured out.

Thanks!

Sparty

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »

They figured out that it was still under warranty and had the installer come out and repair.  Didn't sound like the guy I was helping was to involved in the fix, but if I get any usefull info, I'll pass it along.

Thanks again.