• April 18, 2024, 06:48:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Did firmware 1.13 screw my router?  (Read 8005 times)

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
Did firmware 1.13 screw my router?
« on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:13 AM »

Hi,

I've been updating to the latest 1.13 firmware (from 1.12) and now I suddenly can't do a thing?
The router is alive, no doubt about that! And it's working as intended, but ONLY on default settings?
Which is rather useless for me as then we've got a IP-conflict with our VoIP-adapter, I can't make my GameFuel settings, forwarding ports, password protect the wireless etc..

When I try to change just the tiniest setting, it wont save it?
I will just get tossed back to the login screen and when I do the login it's all back to default again?

I did also try to use the "reset" button on the DGL-4500, nothing.
Tried to re-flash, flash back etc.. It claims that the flashing is working, but it's not, it's the same bloody firmware on it afterwards, even when it says that flashing was successful??

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
Re: Did firmware 1.13 screw my router?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:33:29 AM »

So I finally managed to flash it back to 1.12 with Windows TFTP!
And with 1.12 everything is working as intended again! (besides my wifi being defective, but that's another story)

So then my conclusion was that either 1#: that 1.13BETA was really messed up, or 2#: It was simply a bad flash..

Then I actually try flash my DGL-4500 to the official 1.13 firmware, and what happens?
Back to the same s*** again! Can't do a thing, can't load settings, can't change any settings and can't flash / re-flash without using Windows TFTP!

What's up with this 1.13 firmware? How can a official firmware mess up the DGL-4500 so bad?
How come a official firmware is this bad? And not even removed from the D-Link FTP?!

Back to 1.12 now, which actually kinda works.. 1.13 have yet to let me change any settings WHATSOEVER, and that's with both the BETA and official version of 1.13!

Have to be the worst router firmware I've ever experience in my entire life..

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:44:36 AM »

I couldn't host games very well with the 1.13 FW.  It would cause severe lag.  So, I moved back to 1.12 as well.

First and foremost, in ANY company they should be fixing stuff before adding any new features.

And as issues arise from adding new features, they can address it. 

It's probably just some sloppy coding.  I do hope it gets fixed soon.  I love the router to death, but having no firmwares for almost a year, and then getting 3 bad ones in a row doesn't help much.

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »

RAMGUY,

That sounds very odd. What's interesting is that I haven't encountered that issue before with this particular version. There might be an explanation. What browser were you using? Try a different one while upgrading to 1.13. You might want to crash-reset the router and install a fresh copy. Try to upload the firmware/change the settings from a second computer. If similar problems are apparent, it may in fact just be a bad flash. You could also try downloading the file again as it may have been corrupt in some way during the initial download. I'm fairly positive D-Link would remove the file on the FTP site if it was deemed corrupt.

Best of luck, but I'm glad you were able to get 1.12 working.

-Russell

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:05:15 AM »

I'm fairly positive that the problem is not a bad flash what so ever.

***The problem is with the firmware itself***

When you first install v1.13 you can enter configuration changes with no problem.

- BUT...there is a time period (hours - perhaps days) after which the router refuses to allow any changes to be made.

- - To effect any changes, you need to do a hard reset of the unit (what you are referring to as a Crash Reset)

- - - But this time, the time period for making any changes is shorter.  It was something like half a day for me. The next time after, it refused to even accept any changes.

Today after reading your success at returning to 1.12
I decided to give it a go.

My router was at the point where it refused to take any more changes what so ever. I couldn't even input a password for the Admin account. ** Definitely not good **

I was ready to trash the router what with how PO'd I was.

I've used tFtp before and I have used DD-WRT on other routers before, so I'm not new to using tFtp.

Well, needless to say, I couldn't gain access to the router using tFtp as the attempts failed. I completely tore the router apart, checking the whole thing out. Tried everything I could think of, then finally I was able to get it to respond!

It finally took a password for the Admin account.

After that, I was able to update the firmware to v1.12 successfully. :D

Not entirely sure, but the success was only after I had the unit apart and the black anodized metal plate removed from under the circuit board. I reassembled the unit without this metal plate and it seems to be working just fine.

All I know for sure is there is some sort of problem with the v1.13 firmware and it should be pulled.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

Well my network seems to be running much better now that I downgraded to 1.12.  Its nice to be able to enter information and settings again in the menus.  I think that the next time an updated firmware is released that I'll let others be the guinea pig before I use it. ;)

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »

AMEN to That!!!!

Preferably the D-Link Tech support team should use these routers in their own homes AND their Office environment at work so they can see first hand the problems that everyone else has been encountering.  Without a Corporate network Administrator to interfer so they will see for themselves.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

JackUup23

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:39:44 AM »

No this does not sound very odd for 1.13, any bios after 1.02 is not good look at the other posts on the 4500, people are having alot of problems with this router, if you are at 1.02 stay at 1.02 if you went to 1.13 you have to wait until DLink gets it fixed, if they get it fixed

NBAKingzFan10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 02:05:50 AM »

I'm with Russell on this one. I've upgraded to 1.13, with caution of course, and have not noticed any degrading of my network, or any other common issues other people are having with the router. I find it very odd, but do not discredit people of their problems. I'm sure they exist, and in great numbers. I just feel very lucky that the 1.13 firmware hasn't messed me up, like most others.

The best of luck to everyone, and hopefully D-Link releases a solution to the problems people are having. If nothing else, a rollback option to 1.02 or later should be available for those who do experience problems with the new firmware.

FromAtoN

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »

What's funny is that I check the FW versions when I go to local stores and they are 1.02 versions.  And they're back up to $200!