• April 19, 2024, 04:03:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Open Ports  (Read 9513 times)

Lars7

Open Ports
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »

Hi Guys,

Having done a firewall test on my home network I have discovered that I have 2 open ports, 80 and 443.

How do I configure my Dir-655 hardware A3 to hide these from the outside world?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Open Ports
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »

Look and see if you have enabled Remote management (Tools->Admin). if so, turn it off.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Lars7

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

Look and see if you have enabled Remote management (Tools->Admin). if so, turn it off.

Hi EddieZ,

Thanks for replying,

No, nothing in under Adminstration is enabled

twk3

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »

Was your test done from within your network? Those two ports are used for the web interface of the router, for your internal network. But should not be open. External test on my own network show those ports as being in stealth mode.

Lars7

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »

Was your test done from within your network? Those two ports are used for the web interface of the router, for your internal network. But should not be open. External test on my own network show those ports as being in stealth mode.

Hi twk3,

Yes I did the Shields Up test from my Laptop does this explain why the ports where open?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:46:06 AM »

YES.

For future reference, please do not conduct those test if you have not put some effort in getting a basic understanding of a PC and internet access. The results will not help you (as shown...).
Sorry for the harsh words.

Lars7

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »

YES.

For future reference, please do not conduct those test if you have not put some effort in getting a basic understanding of a PC and internet access. The results will not help you (as shown...).

egg and chicken situation EddieZ,

If I hadn't done the test I would not have come here and gained a better understanding.   ;)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »

egg and chicken situation EddieZ,

If I hadn't done the test I would not have come here and gained a better understanding.   ;)

1.000.000 dollar question would be: how do you get to do a test like that if you have no clue what it will tell you. It's like a woman taking a pregnancy test every week without knowing how to get pregnant.

I hope I did not scare the kid... :P

Lars7

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »

The answer wasn't that obvious to you either.

:)  ;) ;D

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »

YES.

Kind of harsh EddieZ.

Doing the test from your laptop may not be the reason behind the open ports.
Did Lars7 have any other machines connected to the Internet at the same time doing stuff?
Was there other stuff running on the laptop that may be connected to the Internet?
Whenever I do a Shields Up test from my machine that is connected to the router all my ports appear as stealth.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »

The answer wasn't that obvious to you either.

:)  ;) ;D

@Lars7 & davevt31:

Assumption is the mother of misunderstanding.  8)
But: Your first lines in this post (the question) indicated (close reading) that you discovered ports that are open to the outside world. That was your statement. So the only way this can happen without running a webserver (if you did you would know about it I guess, you'll need to set port forwarding/virtual server explicitly)...) is through Remote Management.

So I did not 'make up' any information or assumed it was an outside world portscan....you gave me the info.  ???

Lars7

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »

Kind of harsh EddieZ.

Doing the test from your laptop may not be the reason behind the open ports.
Did Lars7 have any other machines connected to the Internet at the same time doing stuff?
Was there other stuff running on the laptop that may be connected to the Internet?
Whenever I do a Shields Up test from my machine that is connected to the router all my ports appear as stealth.

I have a home server and a media extender but after making sure that they were not connected to the internet I did the test again and got the same results.

Sorry, forgive my lack of knowledge, but I thought that firewalls, hardware or software, where supposed to make you invisible to the outside world when you were connected to the internet?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:43:33 AM by Lars7 »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »

No, their supposed to keep unwanted connections from getting in. Stealthing ports is not a real security measure, and if your connecting to the internet, HTTP is done on port 80 and https is done on port 443.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »

I have a home server and a media extender but after making sure that they were not connected to the internet I did the test again and got the same results.

Sorry, forgive my lack of knowledge, but I thought that firewalls, hardware or software, where supposed to make you invisible to the outside world when you were connected to the internet?

If there is an external IP, you're visible to the outside world. Using the stealth mode could be less safe. Because it still tells the possible attacker that there is a computer in that IP address, and that the computer admin has decided to stealth the ports. If there wasn't a computer, trying to access the IP would result in a response that there is no computer in that address, while stealth results in no response at all. So the attcaker might see the machine as more interesting challenge, something worth trying to hack into.

"Closed" port send a response to the sender that the port is closed/inaccessible while a "stealth" port doesn't send any response. So when you speak of being secure, you could just "Close" your desired port so nothing will even come from the outside.