• April 24, 2024, 03:37:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Disabling autoupdate on the mediaserver  (Read 5361 times)

jpk

Disabling autoupdate on the mediaserver
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:15:54 AM »

I am running the D-link mediaserver on vista home premium under a standard user. I am kinda new to vista.

I want to disable the autoupdate on program startup. How do I do that? This is to avoid the authorization I have to provide as an admin.

I have tried setting the privlege level to "administrator" for mediaserver.exe and mediagui.exe files and that does not help. And I prefer the d-link mediaserver over WMP because of some of the features (like search works while playing a file in the d-link server).

I did not see anything obvious in the consumer.ini file (and I could not make mods to it as well even as an admin - that is a different issue). Or is there a registry setting?

Thanks.
-jp

ccontreras

Re: Disabling autoupdate on the mediaserver
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »

There is not a way to disable the auto update feature of the D-Link Media Server.

You can download the newest media server at the following link:

http://www.support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSM%2D520#apps

You can also try to use Windows Media Player 11 as your media server.

You can follow the FAQ below to help you activate WMP11 as your server:

http://www.support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2692&question=DSM-120%20/%20DSM-320%20/%20DSM-320RD%20/%20DSM-510%20/%20DSM-520

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:51:04 AM »

I am running the D-link mediaserver on vista home premium under a standard user. I am kinda new to vista.

I want to disable the autoupdate on program startup. How do I do that? This is to avoid the authorization I have to provide as an admin.

I have tried setting the privlege level to "administrator" for mediaserver.exe and mediagui.exe files and that does not help. And I prefer the d-link mediaserver over WMP because of some of the features (like search works while playing a file in the d-link server).

I did not see anything obvious in the consumer.ini file (and I could not make mods to it as well even as an admin - that is a different issue). Or is there a registry setting?

Thanks.
-jp
Question.  How did you get your vista machine to work with the 520.  I have tried everything with no success.  See my thread.
Sluggo

jpk

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »

Too bad I can't disable autoupdate...it would be a nice-to-have in the next version...I suspect it is already there as an undocumented feature :).

End of the day, WMP is good enough sharing, but given the way I play music (adhoc "queuing" of the next song), I miss the editable-playlist feature from the D-link media server. Also, the search from the D-link server can be used in more "contexts" than when using the WMP sharing.

And sluggo - I did not do anything special; just followed the instructions in the dlink support side to enable sharing from WMP. I guess I got lucky. You could also try this link (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx) to see if it gives you some ideas.

Regards,
-jp