• March 28, 2024, 08:20:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: R15 What I like and Don't..so far  (Read 8712 times)

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
R15 What I like and Don't..so far
« on: September 01, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »

First let me say I am glad to be part of the UAT group for the R15 and I really appreciate D-Link offering it and providing me with the product for testing etc..

First sight:
I really liked the product box, it was attractive.
Pulling the tray out of the product box, my first look at the router also was attractive. It is a good looking router.
That being said, when holding it in my hands it feels cheap, but I think the price point is spot on for that and it reflects it.

Manual Setup was easy!
The UI is clean and fairly easy to navigate.
It has most of the capabilities that you would expect (see dislikes)
The wireless range on the router seems rather good, it is beating out my Linksys WRT 3200ACM and NetGear RAX20 (see dislikes)
I like the ability to test the Speed right from the router.
Speed seems to be fine, my speed isn't excitingly fast but I am able to get the speeds I should be able to get.
Video Streaming seems to work just fine.

Dislikes:
Some of the capabilities you might expect on your router such as Firewall are somewhat broken in their current functionality, no ability to select ANY for source or destination, making it difficult to use if you were to set to IPv4 filtering and filter on a permit list as opposed to deny list.
No ability to block ICMP (PING)
Capabilities such as FW rules, Port Forwarding, Parental Control etc. have low limits as to how many you can have.
According to wording Secure DNS is over HTTP as opposed to TLS (could have mean to be HTTPS but left off the S?)
The logging seems poor, logs are not categorized by type and or are not stored for very long locally - logs must be saved and downloaded to view as opposed to having a log viewer on the device.
While the wifi does do a better job on coverage then my two other routers it however still has problems covering my house which is only 1400SF. The house is very old and has very thick walls, which may be part of the issue.
There are issues while connected to the Router UI and changing a page where it will say the device is not found, after clicking again the page or option will pull up.
The Wifi Connectivity drops and comes back moments later (most of the time)
Sometimes the SSID will disappear for a time, if I reboot my client I can pick the SSID up again but am unable to connect, rebooting the Router fixes the issue.
The only option for VPN is L2TP over IPSec.
No integration with VPN solutions like ExpressVPN or NORDVPN with connection switching or kill switch.

So this is what I have so far, I will add to this list as I continue to use the router.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:48:39 PM by sh0nuff »

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
Re: R15 What I like and Don't..so far
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 04:24:36 AM »

Update: I have purchased a second R15 to hopefully fix my coverage issue and to test out its mesh capabilities.
Looks like it will be here early next week, I will post an update when I get it setup and try it out.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »

;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 11:55:40 AM »

Second R15 in setup as Mesh (extender) took just minutes and everything appears to be functioning as expected.
Overall it was very simple and quick.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 04:03:57 PM »

;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 02:19:57 PM »

@sh0nuff Did you try the beta firmware that disables ICMP? Just curious how it ran for you.

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 04:06:13 AM »

@sh0nuff Did you try the beta firmware that disables ICMP? Just curious how it ran for you.

Sadly, I did not.. work didn't leave me much free time over the last couple of weeks.

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 04:37:12 AM »

So, I have my auto update firmware toggled to disabled and logged into my router to see that they both auto updated anyway - pretty sure that's a bug.

My test shows that ping is still allowed from the internet.

- I think the AI Assistant isn't working too well - My weekly wifi environment report for last week says:
Your overall Wi-Fi environment is crowded
Your Wi-Fi network was optimized.
(I live out in the country and there is no one close enough for me to pick up their wifi signal, I also only have about 14ish devices connecting to my wifi - not sure why it would think my environment is crowded (its not clear if it means due to other wifi routers or devices connected)?

and Weekly Internet Traffic report shows..(this is obviously incorrect as I use internet all day every day)
This week you used 0MB of data.

My coverage seems to be pretty good now in my house, however I am still having plenty of issues with my wifi cell phone use with it.
Each of my families phones use wifi calling because our cell service isn't very good where we are, however we have noticed the following with our cell phones:
The cell phones are randomly disconnected from the wifi, most of the time reconnect - sometimes requires manual reconnection.
Poor call quality over wifi and random disconnects, sometimes every couple of minutes.
Calls not coming through, wifi showing connected and full but the call does not ring in after several tries.
A disconnect from wifi and reconnect sometimes will correct the issue.

Likewise on my computer I do get random issues with my work VPN getting disconnected and reconnected at random (but the wifi connection shows no disconnect) - our work VPN is very stable so I believe it has more to do with the router itself.

will update when I have more to say :)

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »

Thanks for the update and feedback.

We will test some things today. I have heard with the latest firmware you need to reset the router which will correct the ICMP issue. I have not had time myself to test yet but will this week.

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 10:00:50 AM »

We will test some things today. I have heard with the latest firmware you need to reset the router which will correct the ICMP issue. I have not had time myself to test yet but will this week.

I just reset to factory default, logged in and restored my configuration from the config.bin I pulled down before the reset.
PING is still enabled (still failing ShieldsUp due to PING).

Thanks!

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »

I just reset to factory default, logged in and restored my configuration from the config.bin I pulled down before the reset.
PING is still enabled (still failing ShieldsUp due to PING).

Thanks!

I had to reset back to factory defaults and reconfigure everything by hand in order for the PING blocking to work.
It is working now. - So just to be clear.. if you reset to factory defaults and restore config from backup, your PING will still be enabled.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »

Yep, I manually set it up after factory reset to get Shield's Up to Pass.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »

I also tested it and same results as you. I reported the issues to the router group.

I also verified and reported the firmware auto-upgrade issue. I wish their was an option to say yes or no to upgrade.

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:33:30 AM »

Things are no longer going well....
Speed test without the router (straight from modem is fine)
Speed test hardwired in the router is fine
Speed test over wifi is unstable and very painful......

I assume it is something with the new firmware.. while wifi was somewhat unstable before .. speeds were fine.
Now, both wifi and speeds are unstable
Speed without router = 228.78mb down, 5.86mb up
Speed with router, hardwired computer = 172.52mb down 5.03mb up
Speed with router over wifi = 9.97mb down, 3.46mb up

sh0nuff

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 06:46:12 AM »

I have tried toggling off QOS... WifiMesh, smart connect etc... and nothing has helped.
After reloading my previous config onto the firmware I am able to get 20ish-mb down.
Still nowhere near where I should be, but much better than the single digits..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:04:07 AM by sh0nuff »
Pages: [1] 2