• April 25, 2024, 09:52:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VLAN Configuration for voice over IP  (Read 5352 times)

AdHTV

• Level 1 Member
VLAN Configuration for voice over IP
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:59:42 AM »

Greetings,

I have a question regarding VLAN configurations for voice over IP on a DGS 1210 Switch.
I have created 2 areas in the DHCP server, one for normal clients and one for voice over IP. I would like all my phones to receive an IP address from the second area, including the VLAN tag.

I already configured it in the switch how I thought it should work, but it won't so far.
Is there a general guide for configuring a DHCP relay and a VLAN on the switch?

Is this even possible with the DGS1210 series switches, even if they aren't level 3 switches?

brians

• Level 1 Member
Re: VLAN Configuration for voice over IP
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 09:30:47 PM »

Did you have any luck with this?

I am trying to do automatically with LLDP.
I am going to be attempting to do this on some DGS-1210-52MP.
I have working on NEC VOIP  phones with DGS-3120-48PC  series using LLDP and LLDP-MED. You set the Voice VLAN to whatever your voice VLAN is and when you setup LLDP-MED you set the capabilities and network policy TLVs and the phone just grabs correct VLAN over LLDP.  However, when I went to my DGS-1210 series they appear not to support all the TLVs for LLDP-MED and only the PSE. In normal LLDP they  have the LLDP 802.1 extension which is supposed to send the VLAN. I tried on same DGS 3120 with no luck using this methods vs. LLDP-MED, but will try on an actual  DGS-1210 soon and report back because maybe it works differently. The non-PoE versions of these 1210 switches don't have LLDP-MED anyways at all... probably because they just support the PSE for PoE and use the older 802.1 pre TLV extension. I think Dlink should update the DGS-1210 for proper LLDP-MED and I am disappointed so far looking at it... hopefully can get working.

You can also use the OUI settings to get it to auto assign VLAN based on MAC addresses of the phones... you set auto tagging to the VLAN per port.  I had working before in a brief experiment but not sure how the VLAN tagging with pass through to PC would work on the phone in this way.

After saying all this, if you can can get into the interface of your VOIP phones and program the VLAN manually to the proper one it will work. You just have to tag the Voice VLAN on the ports the phones are plugged into.

brians

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 07:11:45 PM »

No luck getting DGS-1210 series LLDP working with VOIP phone to auto configure voice VLAN.
I emailed Dlink support, don't expect much.

brians

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »

Ok, even though DGS-1210-52MP advertises LLDP-MED... I got this from DLink:

Products: DGS-1210-52MP

The DGS-1100 and DGS-1210 series switches will not have LLDP-Med support. I believe the DGS-1210 series may offer LLDP-Med for PoE+ power delivery only.
For LLDP-Med support, you would need the newer DGS-1250 series, DGS-1510/1520, or higher models such as the DGS-3120 series.

I argued back with web link showing LLDP-MED supported on their specs...
https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dgs-1210-52mp-52-port-gigabit-smart-managed-poe-switch
But just got back this response again...
Products: DGS-1210-52MP

The DGS-1210 series switches will not be capable of full LLDP-Med. Our recommendation would be setting up the Voice VLAN settings to assign the phone to the Voice VLAN when your phone OID is detected on the ports.
Should you require further assistance with your D-Link products, please reply to this message.

So I recommend not getting DGS-1210 series if you want the convenience of LLDP-MED.
Now I will have to manually program Voice VLAN information into 40+ phones because customer got these switches and DLink not supporting LLDP-MED in this switch, otherwise LLDP-MED would have configured them all automatically.