• April 25, 2024, 09:51:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to register and unable to update firmeware  (Read 20001 times)

dexter

• Level 1 Member
Unable to register and unable to update firmeware
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »

Hello all,

I have just bought a DPH-541 for my own usage, but whichever setup I use I'm unable to register to my sip server. A ping to it works fine. My setup at home is using a D-Link wireless AP (WBR-1310) connected to a cable operator (it comes with firmware 1.00.14 - which I fail to upgrade to 1.01.1 over my wireless connection). Ping is ok from the device to my server. Password and user name are correct.

Pleas any hint or help?

- d

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
Re: Unable to register and unable to update firmeware
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:21:42 AM »

Hello all,

I have just bought a DPH-541 for my own usage, but whichever setup I use I'm unable to register to my sip server. A ping to it works fine. My setup at home is using a D-Link wireless AP (WBR-1310) connected to a cable operator (it comes with firmware 1.00.14 - which I fail to upgrade to 1.01.1 over my wireless connection). Ping is ok from the device to my server. Password and user name are correct.

Pleas any hint or help?

- d

Are you getting the router to issue an IP address to the phone? (if not it will never register to the VoIP service)
if the IP shows, are you saying it's just not registering with the VoIP service? (either the phone is bad, or a setting of wrong)
usually settings are the problem when using the phones "profile" menu, it's hard to get it just right like that, using the Web-based UI is easier, and faster, but you need the phone to be "seen" by the router, when it issues an IP for it.

If you're trying to update the firmware to the last working version, (1.01.01) you should do it while the phone is connected to the USB port... but, if you can't even have it give you an IP address to log into, you may have the security settings of the phone and security settings of your router, not matching.

I'm connecting using WPA2 Personal with AES and it's getting in just fine. (shown in the phone as WPA2-PSK AES) and it registers to my VoIP service too.

When first connecting, it takes around 20 to 30 seconds, from the phone first being turned on (booted-up), to fully registering with the VoIP service, including connecting to the router with encryption.
If I tried rebooting the phone, after it connected, (Tools/ReBoot option #8) it connected and registered in under 6 seconds.

If you're not using any encryption for your router or phone, something may not be set correctly.
that's why I ask, Is the phone NOT obtaining an IP address from your router?, ...
or just not registering to the service you use, but gives you the IP address?

If you're using any encryption method ...
The Shared Key on the router MUST match when placed in the phones Security KEY text window... as well as the encryption method chosen... you should use COPY/PASTE, with the KEY, to not make any errors entering the KEY manually.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:38:07 AM by WiFi »
Always Trying To Improve

dexter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »

Thanks you very much for your reply but see my answers to your questions below:

Are you getting the router to issue an IP address to the phone? (if not it will never register to the VoIP service)

I'm getting an IP address, and even able to successfully ping the server.

if the IP shows, are you saying it's just not registering with the VoIP service? (either the phone is bad, or a setting of wrong)
usually settings are the problem when using the phones "profile" menu, it's hard to get it just right like that, using the Web-based UI is easier, and faster, but you need the phone to be "seen" by the router, when it issues an IP for it.

Well I'm able to setup the phone via a web interface using its assigned IP address. All setting are correct. I have actually tried the setting with a X-lite on my MacBook and it work perfectly well. So I guess I may be missing something on the D-Link appliance setup.

If you're trying to update the firmware to the last working version, (1.01.01) you should do it while the phone is connected to the USB port... but, if you can't even have it give you an IP address to log into, you may have the security settings of the phone and security settings of your router, not matching.

I'm well getting a valid IP address from my local Wireless router! I have note tried the USB connexion yet as I'm usinga  MacBook and I haven't find the driver for it yet.

I'm connecting using WPA2 Personal with AES and it's getting in just fine. (shown in the phone as WPA2-PSK AES) and it registers to my VoIP service too.

When first connecting, it takes around 20 to 30 seconds, from the phone first being turned on (booted-up), to fully registering with the VoIP service, including connecting to the router with encryption.
If I tried rebooting the phone, after it connected, (Tools/ReBoot option #8) it connected and registered in under 6 seconds.

If you're not using any encryption for your router or phone, something may not be set correctly.
that's why I ask, Is the phone NOT obtaining an IP address from your router?, ...
or just not registering to the service you use, but gives you the IP address?

If you're using any encryption method ...
The Shared Key on the router MUST match when placed in the phones Security KEY text window... as well as the encryption method chosen... you should use COPY/PASTE, with the KEY, to not make any errors entering the KEY manually.

I have successfully registered to my wi-fi router (a D-link) with a WPA key and able to ping remote sites successfully. It only fail to register to the SIP server.

Here is my SIP setup:
----
SIP Account Name: MyProviderName
Phone Number:    2000 (my SIP extension number)
Authentication ID: 2000 (same as my SIP extension number)
Authentication Password:    **** (the SIP account password)
SIP Domain:    voip.mydomain.com
Proxy Address:       Port:    
Outbound Address:       Port:    
Local Port:    5060
Register Timer(sec):    3600
Codec:    G711u
Pkt Time(ms):    Default
OutofBand DTMF: On
-----
Debug Info:
-----
Wireless Network Status:
ESSID: MySSID
BSSID: 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:YY
IP address: 192.168.0.105 (Private IP: DHCP-Provided by the Router)
MAC address: 00:BB:CC:AA:DD:FF

WL Info:
rssi is -70
noise is -95
No scan in progress.
current mac channel 6
target channel 6
Receive: good 29659, bad 0
Transmit: good 54573, bad 0
-----

Thanks you for any additional hint ...

- d.

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »

from what I can see, it could be because you don't have the Proxy Address and port...
 also, your VoIP server may need the Outbound Address and port too.

you can try the same as SIP Domain, or take that entry and (if it's not voip.mydomain.com) run it thru www.getip.com, into the little text window to trace another IP.

For instance, the actual voip.mydomain.com shows an IP address of 216.34.94.184

so the entries in the two blank fields would be ...

Proxy Address: 216.34.94.184  Port: 5060   ... (unless your port is different)
Outbound Address: 216.34.94.184  Port: 5060 ... (again, unless yours is different)

Some VoIP services may also need the Register Timer(sec): adjusted , but start with above first and see if it works for now.

if your VoIP service fully supports the codec you entered, it's not a problem, but some providers use a lower grade compression, so setting the Codec: AUTO, may also help to register to them.

I'd like to know if you're successful.  It seems you're getting into the router, and if so, you should see the Web Interface UI pages... even on a MAC, web based is web based, or it should be... use the IP shown on the phone when you press the STATUS button after it finished saying Optaining IP Address at the bottom of the screen... it could take up to 30 seconds to negotiate this, when first booted up, but faster after that if using "restart" option.
The STATUS button is the upper right top-most button.

You CAN get into the Web UI using wireless, if your router actually sees the phone and created an IP for it, ... careful when connecting to OPEN Hot-Spots, you're fully open to hacking using the back-door entry account.

If the phones address shows ... 192.168.0.105 ... so far so good, or if another one shows, it's OK too, just use the one that shows on the phone to go into your Web UI by typing it into the URL area of the browser ...

http://192.168.0.105   
or whatever the IP showing on the phone is, and you should be able to enter your phones Login Screen.

If it's the first time you entered into the Web UI, the default name/pass is admin/admin
IF you forgot your login, use the back-door entry of sadmin/sadmin

Tell me if it's working...  :) ... if it still isn't registering, you may have copied the password incorrectly, if you have it working on the MAC, but not on the phone, or one of the other pieces of info... really, ... the phone should connect... especially if the computers softphone connects.

I have 3 different accounts for SIP and real DID service, and with a bit of trying, got them all to register, using the above info.

You don't have to log-out of the Web UI each time you make a change, ... after saving the change (clicking save at the bottom of the SIP accounts), it will try to re-connect with the new changes ... watch the screen !

ONE IMPORTANT POINT, I just realized, in the NETWORK settings, make sure you've chosen the SIP account to activate for that NETWORK and click that separate button on the bottom of that page too, or the NETWORK you chose to use with your router will never see the SIP account you want, ... (I hope you realized that too, already :)

Good luck!

Here is my SIP setup:
----
SIP Account Name: MyProviderName
Phone Number:    2000 (my SIP extension number)
Authentication ID: 2000 (same as my SIP extension number)
Authentication Password:    **** (the SIP account password)
SIP Domain:    voip.mydomain.com
Proxy Address:       Port:    
Outbound Address:       Port:    
Local Port:    5060
Register Timer(sec):    3600
Codec:    G711u
Pkt Time(ms):    Default
OutofBand DTMF: On
-----
Debug Info:
-----
Wireless Network Status:
ESSID: MySSID
BSSID: 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:YY
IP address: 192.168.0.105 (Private IP: DHCP-Provided by the Router)
MAC address: 00:BB:CC:AA:DD:FF

WL Info:
rssi is -70
noise is -95
No scan in progress.
current mac channel 6
target channel 6
Receive: good 29659, bad 0
Transmit: good 54573, bad 0
-----

Thanks you for any additional hint ...

- d.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:23:06 PM by WiFi »
Always Trying To Improve

dexter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »

Hello,

Thank you very much! I can now register (what was missing is the proxy and outbound address).
However I still have not been able to upgrade my firmeware  using the web GUI.

But I can use the phone fine with various profile etc ...

Thanks a lot for you help so far!

- d.

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
Re: Unable to register and unable to update firmware
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »

Hello,

Thank you very much! I can now register (what was missing is the proxy and outbound address).
However I still have not been able to upgrade my firmeware  using the web GUI.

But I can use the phone fine with various profile etc ...

Thanks a lot for you help so far!

- d.

excellent!
... now, ... to make the Firmware upgrade work.

Change the Display settings to NOT turn off the backlight, just for this update to the firmware,
you can set it back later if you had a time limit for it.

If your backlight on the display is set to go off after a few seconds, this may stop the upload to the phone,
also, make sure you do the bootloader FIRST, before doing the next part of the firmware update.

I remember reading something about having to keep the backlight ON while updating the firmware, and
they suggested using the phones USB connector, to the computers USB, as well.
keeping it attached to the USB port may also make it more stable while upgrading the firmware.

I'm not fully sure about this, if it matters, but when I did the upgrade I had it attached to the USB port,
and read, in the user manual, it should be done, as well as keeping the backlight ON.

I didn't have a problem doing the upgrade, as well as other users, so, ...
unless, because you're using a different operating system and computer type,
other than windows and IBM platform, nothing else should stop it, or create a problem.

Let me (and everyone else reading this forum) :) know if it works for you,
or any other problems you're having.

EDIT
Isn't the phone really nice, when it works! :D
so much potential. so few bugs to fix,
a shame to not update to newer version firmware,
higher than the last 1.01.01

If you agree, ... as well as others reading this ...
please ask D-Link to have the Firmware fixed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:42:21 PM by WiFi »
Always Trying To Improve

dexter

• Level 1 Member
Re: Unable to register and unable to update firmware
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »

Hello, sorry to come back on this after a while.

I have tried to upgrade this again and here is the outcome:

excellent!
... now, ... to make the Firmware upgrade work.

Change the Display settings to NOT turn off the backlight, just for this update to the firmware,
you can set it back later if you had a time limit for it.
If your backlight on the display is set to go off after a few seconds, this may stop the upload to the phone,
also, make sure you do the bootloader FIRST, before doing the next part of the firmware update.

I have done this ... and connecting my device to my USB port to put it into charging mode.

I remember reading something about having to keep the backlight ON while updating the firmware, and they suggested using the phones USB connector, to the computers USB, as well.
keeping it attached to the USB port may also make it more stable while upgrading the firmware.

I'm not fully sure about this, if it matters, but when I did the upgrade I had it attached to the USB port,
and read, in the user manual, it should be done, as well as keeping the backlight ON.

Did all of these

[Quote  author=WiFi link=topic=7016.msg45538#msg45538 date=1251497898]
I didn't have a problem doing the upgrade, as well as other users, so, ...[/Quote]

:-( Unfortunately it doesn't work with me. I keep having this message:

"Software Upgrade Failed - No octet stream keyword..."

unless, because you're using a different operating system and computer type,
other than windows and IBM platform, nothing else should stop it, or create a problem.

Well as this is being done using web interface the OS should be a proble. However I was reading the D-Link web site and found this: 

Do NOT upgrade firmware on any D-Link product over a wireless connection.
Failure of the device may result. Use only hard-wired network connections.

I don't know how it affect how this is affecting what we are trying to do her.

Let me (and everyone else reading this forum) :) know if it works for you,
or any other problems you're having.

Still having ...

EDIT
Isn't the phone really nice, when it works! :D

Yes indeed ... I'm using it as I travel a lot I'm able to connect to
conference wifi and have my local SIP extension on and with me
wherever I'm....which is great for my day to day job ... But I now
need to update the firmware to see if few bug i'm seeing can be
fixed by the update.

By the way do you know how to read message on the handset? I
keep seeing a message boz with a new message notification but I
can see where to access these messages.

- d.

dexter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »

Just to add as for the the bootcode update it works just fine.

The file I'm using for the firmware update is: RKP8D1_FW_1.01.01.bin

- a.

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »

Just to add as for the the bootcode update it works just fine.

The file I'm using for the firmware update is: RKP8D1_FW_1.01.01.bin

- a.

i came across this ...
http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=VoIP_Phones&thread.id=1118

about the Linksys version of our phone, where someone on the link above had the same issue,
as did others.  Someone on the above link suggested to use Internet Explorer-6 or higher to
enter the phones Web UI and update that way.  *not sure if you're using IE6 or 7 or 8 :-)
and it may not even make a difference, but ... who knows!

secondly, I think the computer with the file on it (drive or flash key) should be connected to the
routers ethernet, not by wifi connection.

I don't remember if there's an option, in the EXE file, to install without using the phones browser web UI ...
by it asking what IP the phone is at, and "finds" it by itself.  (this may have been another device :-)  I'm thinking of, not sure)  I updated it almost two years ago.

lastly, make sure you don't have privacy turned on from your firewall, or other web security program.
It could stop some script or routine working, (not sure of this either) I just know if I have my zone alarm privacy ON, I can't even get the login page on my browser.  :-D

hope this helps to solve your issue, but if not, i'll try to think up something else to do. :)
Always Trying To Improve