• April 26, 2024, 07:34:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extender can not connect to Windows Vista Ultimate Media Centre  (Read 10914 times)

Emman

• Level 1 Member

Hi,

I just recently bought the unit and I am having difficulty setting it up to connect to my HPDV9000 Vista x64 SP2 media centre. Below are the steps I've done and still not successfull.

I've tried both static and dynamic IP setting on the extender but still the same problem. I also tried to connect directly the extender and the laptop via a switch and also I tried to connect it through a twisted UTP cable but still fail. Both wired and wireless connection exhibit the same process failure as below as seen from my laptop:

- Configuring Computer Settings - PASS
- Searching for extender - PASS
- Configuring Extender Settings  - PASS
- Setting Media Location - PASS
- Connecting to Extender. - FAIL

The last process that displays from my laptop fails (connection failure). The unit itself can connect to internet and I can confirm that by listening to the internet radio which means it get's the right IP on my network. I tried both domain/client and workgroup type of network setting but still I get the same error.

I can ping the extender from all my computers connected to the same network.

I also tried to connect the extender to my other laptop (HP DV5000) but still the same result. I'd been trying to connect this unit for almost 3 weeks now and I am really frustrated. I even uninstall all my security application (Symantec Endpoint Protection) but still fail.

I always reset the device everytime I tried a new connection setup and uninstall the driver information on my laptop to start fresh installation.

Extender Info:
Model: DSM-750
Hardware Version: B1
Firmware Version: 1.02

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Emman >:(

CyberCS

• Level 1 Member
Re: Extender can not connect to Windows Vista Ultimate Media Centre
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »

It's because you're running Visat 64bit.  I have the same problem and it didn't work.  I took the unit to my parents house which has Vista 32bit and it work right away.

I spoke to DLink support and they kept telling me it works with 64bit and tried walking me through all the steps to get it to work.  I think I spent 2 hours with the level 3 rep and it still it didn't work.  Media-lounge works no problem on Vista64 and so does the connection to my NAS.  I'm not sure if this is a Vista 64 problem or a Dlink problem.  Anyways, as long as my NAS works that's all I care about since it has all my movies on it.

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »

I have Vista x64 and no issues at all along those lines.

I had some issues wireless but resolved it by going wired.

Emman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »

Thanks CyberCS & Arvald.

As I mentioned, I also tried it with my other laptop HPDV5000 which is a 32bit machine and still didn't work. I was wondering what hardware version and firmware of extender you guys are using. I would appreciate if you can give such info for comparison because I suspect that the new hardware revision of DSM-750 had the ones that have a problem that might need some firmware patch.

Unfortunately I don't have luck yet to have a clear answer from Dlink Tech here in Australia. They just said that they are investigating on this issue. Don't know how long will it take but I am running out of patience since I've been battling this dilema for almost 3 weeks now. I'm just so anxious to make this gadget work as what Dlink claims it will work with media center... duh! ???

Cheers.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »

Have you at any point disabled any services on the PC for any reason? Removing the Anti-virus was a good first step.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Emman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »

Thanks for your reply ECF.

I uninstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection using Norton Removal Tool and disable the windows firewall and defender. What other services do you think that needs to disable or enable. My laptop is still in original install by HP and I don't know whether there are softwares or services that could make the DSM-750 not to work with the laptop. As I investigate on the services running, it is mostly microsoft services that are running and there's nothing on my startup process as well. I'm stuck...what would you recommend for me to do. Is my extender faulty or requires a new firmware? I appreciate your help and to anybody out there who could give me some feedback.

Cheers.

Emman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »

Hi,

Does anyone had any idea on how to solve this problem? I think after 3 weeks of troubleshooting and frustration, it is just fair to say that this product doesn't really work as it should be. I am prepared now to return this product and forever don't look back and endeavour to have another Dlink extender product. I am one unhappy customer >:(

Does anyone had a recommendation of what is the best extender out there to be use with Vista Ultimate microsoft media center? ;D

Thanks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »

Are you connected wirelessly? If so have you tried it wired as well? You may also want to try a direct connection to your PC and assign a static IP address to both device's 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.101.

Emman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »

HI ECF,

Thanks to your reply but it seems that you didn't read the first post which details my problem and what have I done so far. ???

Last night, I tried to connect the extender to the same laptop but with media player 11 and it connects and seen the files I shared. However, this is not what I want. I want to use it for media center. Also when I tried to watch a movie, after 30 min the connection drops and I have to turn off the extender and turn on again to connect. I tried to watch another movie and it happens the same thing. I also tried to connect my DNS323 directly to the extender and tried to played a movie and as suspected the movie just stop playing and TV just turns black (no dispaly) but it is still ON. I had to turn OFF and turn ON again the extender to get back online.>:(

Does anyone have some more idea?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:00:34 PM by Emman »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »

Try this on your PC

1] Start Vista Administrator .

2] Make sure Media Center is closed.

3] Open the Command Prompt and type in the following commands there. Each time press the Enter key after the command.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 wmp.dll

4] Restart the machine.

5] Restart the Media Center.

Emman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »

Hi ECF,

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work for me. Still the extender can not connect to media center but can connect through windows media player 11. However, even though the extender can connect to windows media player, I still can not watch the full lenght movie. It always disconnect after 30 min or so. I tried this both in wired and wireless connection and they both fail. The computer doesn't go on standby, screensaver or hibernation. The vista machine is up to date to current release updates from microsoft website.

Anymore idea?

Cheers. :)

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »

does the PC or laptop go to sleep?  try disabling the screen savers and check for any power management settings that may shut things down.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

If you are seeing this same behavior with two different computers I think the unit just may be defective it seems at this point. It seems the only way to know now it to have the unit tested with a computer known to work with an extender for sure or to try another unit and see if you have the same results.

Emman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »

Hi Arvald,

Thanks for the info. My computer doesn't go into sleep mode and not even go to screensaver.

Hi ECF,

Thanks for your analysis. However, I can not test another extender to connect to my computer. I am really disappointed with my experience with this product.

Cheers ???

mcconh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

I had the same issues at the start. Disconnects after 30 minutes and can't connect to Media Center. I worked on it for weeks.
Installing Network Magic fixed both of those issues with Vista Ultimate. Why this fixed the problem, I don't know.
Pages: [1] 2