• April 18, 2024, 11:11:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem installing new drivers  (Read 18026 times)

isuzudave

Problem installing new drivers
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:17:04 PM »

What is the procedure to upgrade the drivers on my DWA-652?  It came with version 1.11 and I downloaded 1.3.  When I try to install the new version everything seems to go fine, but it can’t find any networks.  I have tried uninstalling the old drivers first and installing the new driver over the old one.  The old driver gives me the option to use Windows zero configuration or not (I check the no box) the new driver does not give me that option.  I have tried the new drivers with the Windows zero service turned on and off, but I still can’t get the D-Link utility to show any networks.  If I uninstall version 1.3 and reinstall the drivers from the D-Link CD everything works fine again.  Any ideas?  This is on a HP/AMD laptop with Windows XP home.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Problem installing new drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:40:01 PM »

I am using the downloaded 1.30 drivers with mine.  I did not do the setup, I just pointed Windows to the folder with the drivers in it when the new hardware wizard came up.  Using WZC to handle the network.  How is your router set up? 

isuzudave

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:11:30 PM »

The router is fine.  When I install the new drivers I can't find any wireless network, not just mine.  The setup guide that came with the card says to click on cancel if the new hardware wizard comes up.  I could try just updating the drivers with the windows device manager, but I assume the D-Link connection software that come with the 1.3 drivers is updated also.  I do not really want to use WZC, but I will if it is the only way to get things to work with the new drivers.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »

I was just curious if you had router setup to braodcast SSID, were doing MAC filtering, etc.  Some of these will keep you from seeing the network.

isuzudave

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »

I am broadcasting SSID and no MAC filtering.  It is a pretty basic setup.  It is working under the old drivers, and I am connecting at 300mbps so this is kinda low on my priority list.  I just feel better when all my software and stuff is up to date.  I also have another laptop that I can try and install the new drivers on and see if it is a machine specific problem.  When I have a couple of hours to kill I will give tech support a call.  I just thought I would post here to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »

Try deleting the old perferred networks from the D-Link utility. After you do that, rescan for your network. Connect, then activate. That should help.

isuzudave

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »

There are no preferred networks on the utility.  When I start the setup for the new driver it asks if I want to remove the current software.  If I click “no”, the setup exits.  If I click “yes” it removes the current version and asks me to reboot.  After rebooting I again click on the setup.exe for the new driver it goes smoothly until I get to the point where I set up a wireless network.  I press the scan button and no networks show up.  The activity light on the card blinks and that is about it.  The utility has just been installed at this point, so there are no preferred networks.

michaelos

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »

I have the same issue.  I installed the drivers (v1.0) that came with the card.  I had intermittent lockups and services.exe would eat up 100% of my cpu.  So, I did what all good computer users should do and found v1.3 drivers and installed it.  Now no networks are displayed and i am told that a "local connection" is unplugged.

So, I am going to start going backwards.  I am trying to install v1.2 now and see if it works, if not ver1.1 and then if that doesn't work... I will return the card for a new one.

Michael

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »

Sounds like you're having a registry issue, try using a utility to clean up uneeded entires.

gottarun4321

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »

Has anyone resolved this issue?   I've got the same thing happening on one of my laptops.   I've tried everything I can think of, including swapping the cards.  (I have two.)   Curiously, in the one laptop, both cards work with the new driver and in the other, neither does.   The one that works is running XP Home, the one that doesn't is running 2000 Pro.    One the one that doesn't run, the computer eventually locks up.

isuzudave

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:08:31 AM »

I finally got the new drivers to work with my laptop.  Here is what I did.  I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows and all of my applications.  When it came time to install the card I used the new drivers instead of the ones that came with it and it works fine.  This seems a little extreme, but I wanted to do a fresh install anyway because some other programs were running a little slow and the machine was locking up about once a day.  This laptop had Windows XP home, and it had been running the same install for about 3.5 years.  At least now I know it was a software issue between the old drivers and the new drivers and not a hardware incompatibility with the new drivers.  I think the Windows registry just gets a little flacky after so many years of updating, installing, uninstalling, and updating of drivers and software.  Sometimes a fresh start can work wonders.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »

Did anyone else try a registry utility? I'm willing to bet the result would have been the same as reinstalling.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:12:32 AM by Lycan »

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »

Sounds like you're having a registry issue, try using a utility to clean up uneeded entires.

Any one try this? It works.
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.

isuzudave

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 01:36:19 PM »

Any one try this? It works.

In the past, registry checking/repair utilities have caused me more problems that they solved.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 04:47:46 PM »

Then the best thing at that point is format reinstall.
Windows always runs better that way anyway.

Pages: [1] 2