• April 16, 2024, 07:15:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Pink light on second drive  (Read 3163 times)

COXWELLJON

• Level 1 Member
Pink light on second drive
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:39:58 AM »

I have searched this forum for information on what a steady pink light on drive 2 means.  I encountered this after what appeared to be a malfunction of a UPS unit that my DNS-321 is connected to. I have 2 WD 500 gb green drives in the system running on Raid1.  The light for drive 2 is not amber and is not blue, but is steady pink.  I found nothing on the forum or D-link website that addresses this, but I have solved my problem and will share what I did.  Before anything I backed up the whole server to a large HD in my computer.  (7hrs)
1.  I removed both drives and reseated them but no change.
2.  I ordered a new WD black 500 gb drive to replace the apparently failed WD 500 gb green drive.  No change
3.  I removed HD 2 and checked to see if drive 1 would function alone in bay 1.  It did.
4.  I removed HD 1 and put the HD from drive 2 in drive 1 to see if I could access it.  I could so I knew I had 2 copies of my data that I could access besides the backup I made in the beginning.
5.  I accessed the D-link CD from my browser to make sure I had all the pertinent information at my fingertips.
6.  I did a hard reset of the server through the pin hole in the back. 
7.  I downloaded the latest firmware update (1.03)  and installed it.
8.  I then inserted the original HD-1 in bay 1 and my new WD black in bay 2
9.  I then carefully went through the set up process for changing a HD, formatting the new HD and selecting selecting Raid1.
10.  I then selected the option to rebuild the drive.  Everything started as it should and I left the server working over night.  It took about 5 hrs to rebuild but everything seems normal.  I will now reformat the apparently failed HD in a spare bay in my computer and it will become another backup of my data to be backed up to on a regular basis.  I may get a new external enclosure and install it there.

I apologize for the long post but the pink light syndrome does not seem to be addressed anywhere in the forum.  The DNS-321 is no longer supported but i will bet there are a number of them out there.  I still do not know what triggered the pink light but I suspect that a hick-up in my ups put some static on the line that changed the firmware somehow.  I have a small architectural firm run out of my home and the DNS-321 is part of my local area network.  I know it is not a true back up system but this incident proved the validity of having redundant Hard Drives.  Going forward I will have a 3rd & 4th copy of my data.  I hope this helps someone else who may encounter this problem to sort it out.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Pink light on second drive
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »

Thank you for posting this information and glad you got it running.

Is there any information in the user manual regarding the LED status colors?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.