• April 16, 2024, 07:29:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Fluctuating speeds and unreliable utility  (Read 11425 times)

AlanB1976

• Level 1 Member
Fluctuating speeds and unreliable utility
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »

Hey all

I've got 2 problems as listed below and I don't know if they are related. I'm hoping someone here can help my woes.

1 - My 501av starter kit is giving extremely unreliable link rates. It goes from 250mbs down to 9mbs, sometimes even losing connection totally. This is without changing anything or switching other electrical items on/off. I don't understand how it can fluctuate so much. If it was bad wiring/interferrance and got consistent low rates, fine, but the fact that it can get high without changing anything starts to point to failing devices. It's getting to a point where it is so unreliable that I am going to discard it completely. I also recently installed a DHP-1565 and the rates its web page shows are pretty consistent. So, the 1561 seems to connect reliably to both 501av's, but the 501av's fluctuate between each other. Any ideas?

2 - The software utility shows wrong information a lot of the time. Most of the time, it will show the local unit as remote and the remote unit as local. MAC addresses and speeds also change. So, it will show the actual local device (with MAC address) as remote with a slower speed, if you can understand what I'm trying to say. I can understand it getting naming wrong, but to show the MAC addresses and speeds wrong is very frustrating and I start to wonder if the link speeds it is telling me are correct. Then, at one point, it showed a completely different device with different MAC address on my private encrypted network with no other devices (only that 1 incorrect one). At first I thought it was another device and someone was trying to hack my network but then I just lost faith in the utility as I still had connection to 2 other devices but they wouldn't show in the utility. I reset the devices but the utility still showed only the 1 incorrect line. It only started showing correctly after I reset the pc. It's not that bad if it just gets item naming mixed up, but so much goes wrong that I can't trust the information, making network problem solving very difficult.

So, are they related or is it a case of just bad software and some other issues plagueing my connection? Any help before I scream?

Thanks
Alan

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Fluctuating speeds and unreliable utility
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »

Hey all

I've got 2 problems as listed below and I don't know if they are related. I'm hoping someone here can help my woes.

1 - My 501av starter kit is giving extremely unreliable link rates. It goes from 250mbs down to 9mbs, sometimes even losing connection totally. This is without changing anything or switching other electrical items on/off. I don't understand how it can fluctuate so much. If it was bad wiring/interferrance and got consistent low rates, fine, but the fact that it can get high without changing anything starts to point to failing devices. It's getting to a point where it is so unreliable that I am going to discard it completely. I also recently installed a DHP-1565 and the rates its web page shows are pretty consistent. So, the 1561 seems to connect reliably to both 501av's, but the 501av's fluctuate between each other. Any ideas?
To test this, I would set up the units in a same room environment as a test and see if you notice the same fluctuations. If not then there maybe an issue in the power wiring between the local and remote locations. Test with all power appliances off as well. Unplug any power adapter supplies for electronic and electrical devices while testing as well.

2 - The software utility shows wrong information a lot of the time. Most of the time, it will show the local unit as remote and the remote unit as local. MAC addresses and speeds also change. So, it will show the actual local device (with MAC address) as remote with a slower speed, if you can understand what I'm trying to say. I can understand it getting naming wrong, but to show the MAC addresses and speeds wrong is very frustrating and I start to wonder if the link speeds it is telling me are correct. Then, at one point, it showed a completely different device with different MAC address on my private encrypted network with no other devices (only that 1 incorrect one). At first I thought it was another device and someone was trying to hack my network but then I just lost faith in the utility as I still had connection to 2 other devices but they wouldn't show in the utility. I reset the devices but the utility still showed only the 1 incorrect line. It only started showing correctly after I reset the pc. It's not that bad if it just gets item naming mixed up, but so much goes wrong that I can't trust the information, making network problem solving very difficult.
I would check to see if there is any SW updates for the utilities on D-Links web site. Un-install and re-install the SW. Disable any 3rd party security SW programs while testing and installing.

So, are they related or is it a case of just bad software and some other issues plagueing my connection? Any help before I scream?

Thanks
Alan
[/quote]
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

expose

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »

I recently have been experiencing issues with the 500av that apper to be similar to what is decribed in point 1. To be more precise:
I have been using the same setup for about 6 months now. I have not changed anything to influence the connection at all. Before I was easily reaching 70-80mbps, maybe even more but not verified. Not it tops at 10mbps. When I plug the units in, they run at the high speed for several minutes and then drop down to 10mbps every time and remain there. The problem remained after firmware upgrade.
Do you have any idea what is causing this fluctuations, I was thinking security protocols?? I am using the button security, but I have been using this always and was never an issue before. Also I notice that if I use the whole bandwidth right from startup, the speed does not drop. However if not used, the speed drops and cannot go back up.
By the way the units were working only the mentioned 6 months, so if this is their lifespan this is quite unexpected...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:34:13 PM by expose »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

I recently have been experiencing issues with the 500av that apper to be similar to what is decribed in point 1. To be more precise:
I have been using the same setup for about 6 months now. I have not changed anything to influence the connection at all. Before I was easily reaching 70-80mbps, maybe even more but not verified. Not it tops at 10mbps. When I plug the units in, they run at the high speed for several minutes and then drop down to 10mbps every time and remain there. The problem remained after firmware upgrade.
Do you have any idea what is causing this fluctuations, I was thinking security protocols?? I am using the button security, but I have been using this always and was never an issue before. Also I notice that if I use the whole bandwidth right from startup, the speed does not drop. However if not used, the speed drops and cannot go back up.
By the way the units were working only the mentioned 6 months, so if this is their lifespan this is quite unexpected...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.