• April 19, 2024, 11:42:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: dns321 dirves seem to work but case doesn't communicate with computer  (Read 9068 times)

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

I have a dns 321 with 2 2tb hard disks mirrored.

getting some unreliable results attaching the drive over wifi and wired.  For several months I could finally log in by restarting the case but now I fear I have no access.

Drives startup boot seem to be working are solid blue with the center light flashing.

1)  can these drive be transferred to another case to see if they work?
2) would the drives work (assuming the drives are ok) in a newer NAS and preserve the data?
3) can I with Linux driver read the drives with a suitable software drive and usb exnternal case?

any help appreciated.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Set a static IP address on the DNS to 192.168.0.32 if your main host router default IP address pool is 192.168.0.100 thru .199.
What is the Mfr and model of the main host router?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

I agree with FurryNutz.  This issue sounds like a floating IP address issue.
If you don't have access to the DNS-321, then log into your router UI and Reserve an IP address.

DNS ShareCenter - Should I Use DHCP, Static IP, or Reserved IP Address?
DNS ShareCenter - Mapping a DNS ShareCenter Device (IP vs. Volume Name)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

thanks for your prompt reply.
working off notes at work so will have to get home and check it out.
I think the ip (which is probably dns) was 192.168.1.x  but I do have notes here indicating the 192.168.0.32 with note back of case. LOL
the unit was continuously on so I guess if dns that never changed but perhaps changed with a power outage.

The router is a belkin router dual band which replaced a wndr3400.

Not sure of model for belkin model but seem to remember it handled the ac stuff and was bought from best buy about a year ago.

Possibly these intermittent problems started a few months after the new router.

At any rate will try the above and report back after the weekend.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

From everything you described thus far, it sounds like the IP address changed.
Please post back and let us know how everything turns out!

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

From everything you described thus far, it sounds like the IP address changed.
Please post back and let us know how everything turns out!

thanks and here's the update.

I tried the 192.168.0.32 and the computer didn't know it was attached.
So I got a usb hard disk cradle and downloaded the Linux reader software. It would not read the drive directly.  So tried the other drive and same thing.  So I used the file recovery software which did find files and took 24 hours to do so.  I accidentally restarted the recover so waited another day.  Then copied the files over to a new 4tb external usb drive.  Literally 2-3 days later I had recovered 496,000 files.  Not all correctly or on the correct folder but a bunch. Some movie directories had truncated files and the checkbook spread sheets showed up in the root directory instead of the finance directory and multiple files names were encountered.  I suspect it found file fragments at various locations.  But at least I got some data back.

I now have a new (to me anyway) used dlink 321 from ebay.  I'm gonna try putting the drive I didn't recover files on in that case.

Will the 321 be able to recognize the drive's data or not?  (assuming it is ok that is.)  I had various users on the drive for me, wife, granddaughter of which only mine was ever used and required a password.

If different 321 works then I plan to download that drive to the external drive.

Then I have a new 2 drive nas with usb drive I'll attach.  I plan to upload all the data and then setup a system where the nas is backed up to the external usb drive.

Any suggestions appreciated.

And thanks for replies.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:42:31 AM by beaslbob »

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Assuming the ShareCenter is the same model and has the same firmware version installed, you should be able to insert the HDD and it should read it just fine.

Keep in mind that since you mounted the HDD on your PC using Linux and used recovery software, there's a possibility that the software modified the HDD, which could potentially make it unreadable in the DNS-321. Also, keep in mind that the original DNS-321 may be working fine and the data volume is corrupt.

Did you read this thread: DNS-321 - Data Recovery (Windows PCs)

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

Assuming the ShareCenter is the same model and has the same firmware version installed, you should be able to insert the HDD and it should read it just fine.

Keep in mind that since you mounted the HDD on your PC using Linux and used recovery software, there's a possibility that the software modified the HDD, which could potentially make it unreadable in the DNS-321. Also, keep in mind that the original DNS-321 may be working fine and the data volume is corrupt.

Did you read this thread: DNS-321 - Data Recovery (Windows PCs)

I put the ebay dns321 on the computer and easy search did seem to find it.  It appears to accept the command to not accept dns also.
 I could not get the admin page up at 192.168.0.32 or 192.168.0.1. But it also had not HDFDs installed. Is that normal behavior?  Does the dll have to be installed?

Understand about the corrupted drive which is the reason I only recovered one of hdds.  If I finally to get this working on the other drive should one drive on the 321 be recognized so I can download from the 321 to another drive through the Ethernet interface? that would probably be the most reliable.

Thanks again

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

You shouldn't need the DLL or Easy Install application to mount the DNS-321.  Instead add a mapped network drive on Windows.
DNS ShareCenter - Mapping a Volume using Windows.

This still looks like an IP address issue related to your network, not the DNS-321. Is your router set to DHCP?  What is your router's IP address range?

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

You shouldn't need the DLL or Easy Install application to mount the DNS-321.  Instead add a mapped network drive on Windows.
DNS ShareCenter - Mapping a Volume using Windows.

This still looks like an IP address issue related to your network, not the DNS-321. Is your router set to DHCP?  What is your router's IP address range?

thanks.
will try on my newer desktop which I think I originally used to setup it up with anyway.  My old laptop (very old) doesn't seem to recognize it or at least I can't get to the long in prompt.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Post back and let us know if you can restore access with the other PC.

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

Post back and let us know if you can restore access with the other PC.

slow update. LOL

thanks for suggestions and help.

I finally got it back and am currently uploading the files to an external hard disk.
I found I had to have both original drives including the "recovered" drive installed.  I let the drive lights flash all day until they were on solid.
At that point easy search reflected the nas with the home_network name I had used as opposed to being the generic dlink. And it also reported the correct user partitions I originally setup.  It would error out when told to not accept dns though. And would not let me map drive letters. My old dual core laptop was perhaps too slow and it was timing out.

I was able to access the admin page also.

So I installed it on the lan and the old drives came up with all files seeming to by ok and even the movie files were 7gb instead of being truncated.

Not wanting to lose all that, I connected the external drive and starting downloading everything.  Now there were 120,000 files in 800gb as opposed to the 496,000 files "recovered" before. 12 hours later 5% or so have been copied and I noticed the download speed as 1mb/second.  Rough calculations indicated that would to 9 days to copy. LOL. So I'll try the other computer and see if I can get that up to 100's mb/sec the router is supposed run at.

Router is the belkin ac 750 and does not support as far as I can tell reserving an ip for the 321.  But it is working dns at 192.168.2.11.

So it looks like I'm recovering and perhaps it was more my old laptop than anything else.

At least I learned (again) to make backups.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:21:51 AM by beaslbob »

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

I'm glad everything sorted itself out!

beaslbob

• Level 1 Member

I'm glad everything sorted itself out!

Yea it is a relief. LOL

I finally added a usb wireless adapter to my computer and was able to get transfer speed up to 6 mb/sec and it only took a couple of days to copy the files. The adapter uses the ac protocol the router uses.

But it is a relief and obviously I still have lotsa work to do.  But the data is there thank god.

and thanks for you help also. LOL

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

You might want to at some point get a external Gb network switch and LAN wired your PC the the DNS for best data xfer performance.  ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.