• April 19, 2024, 04:10:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: DIR-890L FORUM USER REQUESTS and BUGS  (Read 101115 times)

morber

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-890L FORUM USER REQUESTS and BUGS
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »

What is the Mfr and model of this device?
Does the devices have a section or configuration to give a host name to the device?

It is a netgear device from comcast (basically a wireless router with their firmware for their system). There is nothing to set/config on it - just uses dhcp.

The name that we give a device in the table is not coming from or going to the device - it's the name read from the internal table on the DIR-890L to make it more meaningful to the human viewer. So not sure how/why that would be an issue. The model is ASG1100 and according to Netgear, it is a unit that is an oem for various companies who then install their own firmware and software.

What do you mean by the 5Ghz is going UP and Down? Please explain...
ok - have the 5.1 and 5.2 setup with their own name so I have 3 possible wireless connections.
Sitting in other room using a wireless tablet and can watch the signal bars for either 5.1 or 5.2 band go from full bars, then up and down a few for bit, then the connection is lost and does not get re-acquired. Even if showing full bars again. Have to go into wireless settings on the device and select a different band and it connects just fine and will run okay for a while and eventually it gets lost again. When selecting the 2.4 band, it is stable. Go back to one of the 5ghz bands and we see that behavior over and over again. Only the 2.4 is stable. As to distance - it's  about 20 ft from router and thru 2 stucco walls - one with big window and other has patio doors.

For giggles, moved a range extender into the room and while it seemed to help with signal strength, it did nothing to stabilize the behavior of the 5ghz bands.
Just as a reference - my DIR-655 was rock solid from that same spot without a range extender.
Hope that clarifies. If there is any thing I can do to trouble-shoot, will be happy to.

Have run into a device that is online and has a name of (unknown) and does not have a reserved ipaddr. When I go to edit it, I can edit it and the save icon becomes available. Save it and it does NOT change. I can go to any other active device and change that name easily. Have tried it with 3 different browsers and two o/s.

Looks to be a bug - can't edit if there is a parentheses in the name of the device.

Yeah, that time out is way too short - needs to be longer.
Stability of 5Ghz seems better, but still either one is going up and down - and I'm not moving around.

On that discussion of limit of 24 devices - that seems to be a combo of active and inactive - can't add more than that even with half the devices off line. That limit needs to at least be doubled.

Is anyone else finding that the app (android) and mydlink s/w only shows some of the device names but not all of them?  I'm luck to see half of my device names - only way to see them is connecting direct  to the device.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:54:51 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2015, 07:06:40 AM »

On 5Ghz, there could be some problems with this as 5Ghz is susceptible to building materials and such due to it's high frequency. If your with in one wall or line of sight, does the 5Ghz radio signal jump up and down?
That being said, mine is between 2 walls and I don't see any fluctuation in signal. However it can be low if i'm in a different part of the house.

• Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

In regards to device names, the router detects the host name of the device. IF there isn't one specified on the device or not readable, then "unknown" will be displayed however when user sets a reservation, the user can edit the name of the device from "unknown" to a custom name.

I've pasted on to D-Link information about issues seen here. I'll post back if I get some information.

What is the Mfr and model of this device?
Does the devices have a section or configuration to give a host name to the device?

It is a netgear device from comcast (basically a wireless router with their firmware for their system). There is nothing to set/config on it - just uses dhcp.

The name that we give a device in the table is not coming from or going to the device - it's the name read from the internal table on the DIR-890L to make it more meaningful to the human viewer. So not sure how/why that would be an issue. The model is ASG1100 and according to Netgear, it is a unit that is an oem for various companies who then install their own firmware and software.

What do you mean by the 5Ghz is going UP and Down? Please explain...
ok - have the 5.1 and 5.2 setup with their own name so I have 3 possible wireless connections.
Sitting in other room using a wireless tablet and can watch the signal bars for either 5.1 or 5.2 band go from full bars, then up and down a few for bit, then the connection is lost and does not get re-acquired. Even if showing full bars again. Have to go into wireless settings on the device and select a different band and it connects just fine and will run okay for a while and eventually it gets lost again. When selecting the 2.4 band, it is stable. Go back to one of the 5ghz bands and we see that behavior over and over again. Only the 2.4 is stable. As to distance - it's  about 20 ft from router and thru 2 stucco walls - one with big window and other has patio doors.

For giggles, moved a range extender into the room and while it seemed to help with signal strength, it did nothing to stabilize the behavior of the 5ghz bands.
Just as a reference - my DIR-655 was rock solid from that same spot without a range extender.
Hope that clarifies. If there is any thing I can do to trouble-shoot, will be happy to.

Have run into a device that is online and has a name of (unknown) and does not have a reserved ipaddr. When I go to edit it, I can edit it and the save icon becomes available. Save it and it does NOT change. I can go to any other active device and change that name easily. Have tried it with 3 different browsers and two o/s.

Looks to be a bug - can't edit if there is a parentheses in the name of the device.

Yeah, that time out is way too short - needs to be longer.
Stability of 5Ghz seems better, but still either one is going up and down - and I'm not moving around.

On that discussion of limit of 24 devices - that seems to be a combo of active and inactive - can't add more than that even with half the devices off line. That limit needs to at least be doubled.

Is anyone else finding that the app (android) and mydlink s/w only shows some of the device names but not all of them?  I'm luck to see half of my device names - only way to see them is connecting direct  to the device.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

morber

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »

Thanks for the tip - sadly they don't have a free mac version.

I did run into another issue.  Went into wireless settings, change the 2.4 channel from auto to 3 and save button lhighlights (like it should) but when I click on it, I get a message that sez "router not found" - back to wireless menu and save is still highlighted. When you leave the page, it knows you haven't saved it and asks if you really want to leave and lose the changes. Say no and try to save again, same result.  That is using FireFox 41.0a.1. Everyone needs to be aware that FF and D-link don't like each other - many features of DIR simply don't work FF at this time.

Change to Chrome - works just fine. Looking more and more that FF and D-Link simply don't work well together.

Found KISMAC for watching wireless signals - and even after changing to unused channels (with a few empty channels in between) I was able to see the channel numbers and signal strength just fine..... and watched signal strength bounce up and down about every 10 seconds - example would be at 57 then drop and come back at 30 then drop and come back at 17, etc.  Kinda in line with what I'm seeing on devices.

The positioning of the unit info is interesting as there is nothing in setup docs that addresses it - other than antennas should be at 45 degree angle. In relationship to what? The flat plane of the base or the surface it is sitting on - and if you wall mount it, then in relationship to what? I have it wall mounted about 6 ft off the floor and 3-4 ft from 3 NAS and monitor - and 4-6 ft from two computers - and 6ft from wireless phone DECT  6.0 on 1.92 or 1.93ghz.  It is about the same location of the antennas for my DIR-655 that did not have signal strength bouncing issues.

It would be very helpful if there were better (and clear) guidelines about placement. While on placement, there is only one way to do wall mount so it hangs on screws securely - and this puts all the connectors on the top - where they can't be reached without getting on a stool or stepladder and then you are still blindly feeling for the plugs and hope you get the right one. The slots should allow it to be mounted up, down or sideways on a wall - so you can have access to the ports, etc. Sorry for getting a bit off topic - but placement and antenna orientation is important.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »

Ok, I'll have a look at the channel selection when I get home. I have a look with FF as well. I tend to use Opera/Safari for Mac mostly when I'm on Mac. I haven't seen any issues with FF as of yet. I heard that this new UI is better tuned for Chrome. Opera works great though on it.  ;D

Only two things to remember about external antenna router, Straight up for single level buildings, Angled downwards at there bump stops for multi level buildings is all.

If your seeing the signal levels going up and down on more that once PC or Laptop, then your unit could be faulty,  I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jarome

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »

Really disappointed in the Router. Smart Connect  DOES NOT WORK! It put me on channel 1 along with my neighbors, and I was unable to maintain a connection to the devices in my bedroom. One reason may be that the bedroom is at the front of my house, is nearer to the interfering neighbors, and the router in my computer room in the center of the house cannot easily detect the interferers. I manually set the DIR-890L to channel 6, turned off Smart Connect, and everything worked. But now I cannot take advantage of the nice features of Smart Connect—a bummer!
Why can't you let the user choose the channel and still use Smart Connect? The whole neat thing about the router is thus impossible to use.

Also, your "high-level" support claimed that you dropped the ability to reserve an ip address for a device. You can, but it is totally hidden on the home page. See my review at http://jamesrome.net/drupal/DIR-890L

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=62704.0

Really disappointed in the Router. Smart Connect  DOES NOT WORK! It put me on channel 1 along with my neighbors, and I was unable to maintain a connection to the devices in my bedroom. One reason may be that the bedroom is at the front of my house, is nearer to the interfering neighbors, and the router in my computer room in the center of the house cannot easily detect the interferers. I manually set the DIR-890L to channel 6, turned off Smart Connect, and everything worked. But now I cannot take advantage of the nice features of Smart Connect—a bummer!
Why can't you let the user choose the channel and still use Smart Connect? The whole neat thing about the router is thus impossible to use.

Also, your "high-level" support claimed that you dropped the ability to reserve an ip address for a device. You can, but it is totally hidden on the home page. See my review at http://jamesrome.net/drupal/DIR-890L

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »

For users with Android phones and this model router, seems that IPv6 protocol maybe the culprit to bad phone behavior. It's recommended to disable IPv6 on the phones or set IPv6 Local Connection Only on the router instead of Automatic. D-Link is aware of this and working to resolve the issue fully.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=62655.0

For user with IPv6 needs, I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link or Android support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.

RElapse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2015, 07:53:46 PM »

I could not find appropriate info anywhere, is anyone else concerned about the lack of ability to deactivate WPS completely? This is the single biggest security risk of a router and on the 890l you can not tun it off, please if there is a way and I am missing it, fill me in, otherwise this should be a feature implemented immediately! along with  making the smart connect wifi invisible.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »

WPS is automatic and only working when used with a WPS device. There is not ON or OFF function for it anymore since the WPS bug was fixed a few years back.

You can disable the Smart Connect feature and set up the radios manually.

I could not find appropriate info anywhere, is anyone else concerned about the lack of ability to deactivate WPS completely? This is the single biggest security risk of a router and on the 890l you can not tun it off, please if there is a way and I am missing it, fill me in, otherwise this should be a feature implemented immediately! along with  making the smart connect wifi invisible.

RElapse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »

If there is no way to manually turn it off/ disable it, this is a huge security issue.  I have used Reaver on my own network to crack the WPS pass code  and succeeded. allowing me full access to my network. you can read more about reaver and how it works  via google, the point is that it does work.  disabling WPS and making your network invisible are two of the easiest ways to secure your home network according to security experts. is Dlink completely ignoring this issue?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »

Maybe provide the links and steps to reproduce this, I'll have D-Link review it. There is no information regarding WPS security at this time from D-Link.

There is new FW you can try if you like.

If there is no way to manually turn it off/ disable it, this is a huge security issue.  I have used Reaver on my own network to crack the WPS pass code  and succeeded. allowing me full access to my network. you can read more about reaver and how it works  via google, the point is that it does work.  disabling WPS and making your network invisible are two of the easiest ways to secure your home network according to security experts. is Dlink completely ignoring this issue?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »

This issue is under review with D-Link at this time. Please be patient.

Thank you.

Jamal Rahim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »

I had a DIR-636L and i just upgraded with a DIR-890 i am really very happy with connection and networks speeds and everything but the setup is lacking many of useful features like Access Control, it was the most useful feature for me i was able to restrict specific users on my network to access specific website but now with DIR-890 if i block a website and i am blocking myself to open it too and that's not the way it should be, i strongly suggest to bring back the feature in a future firmware upgrade.

Thanks,

Jamal

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 07:35:06 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

Thank you for your feed back. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email. While posting issues in this forum is a great means of sharing information with other members and notifying D-Link of issues, D-Link escalates issues for resolution based on the volume of calls received through the official D-Link support desk. If D-Link receives a large number of calls pertaining to the same issue, that issue is more likely to be escalated as a problem for investigation and resolution. As such, in addition to posting issues in this forum, forum members are encouraged to call the toll free D-Link support desk to report their issue and requests.

I had a DIR-636L and i just upgraded with a DIR-890 i am really very happy with connection and networks speeds and everything but the setup is lacking many of useful features like Access Control, it was the most useful feature for me i was able to restrict specific users on my network to access specific website but now with DIR-890 if i block a website and i am blocking myself to open it too and that's not the way it should be, i strongly suggest to bring back the feature in a future firmware upgrade.

Thanks,

Jamal

kjohnso9

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2015, 07:48:24 AM »

I recently purchased a DIR-890L and while the smart connect was one of the features that attracted me to the device. While I have searched extensively online I am unable to find why smart connect SSID can not be made invisible. While I understand I can turn off Smart Connect and hide each individual band it defeats the purpose of one of the key features.

I am in Canada running the latest 1.08 FW
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7