• April 19, 2024, 05:16:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to Mount Hard Drive using SharePoint  (Read 13353 times)

emerald

• Level 1 Member
Unable to Mount Hard Drive using SharePoint
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:56:45 PM »

I am running Vista SP1 and have loaded the 1.31 firmware on my DIR-655. The Sharepoint Utility connects to the router and shows the hard drive as available, but I have not been able to figure out how to mount the drive. The documentation implies that I should see the same dialog as when I plug the drive into a USB, but I see no dialog nor do I see the drive in the Computer window. I disabled the Norton 360 firewall and it had no effect. How do I proceed? ???

emerald

• Level 1 Member
Re: Unable to Mount Hard Drive using SharePoint
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »

Oops s/SharePoint/SharePort/*

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »

is the HDD self powered?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

emerald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:34:34 AM »

Yes, it is.

emerald

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 06:38:14 AM »

Another tidbit. I am running Vista 64 Home Premium.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »

Right clicking the drive in Shareport and choosing 'Connect' does not work?

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »

Emerald, I have a USB drive attached to my DIR-655 and it will mount right after I reboot my router. After that it is a matter of time before it unattaches and will not reattach until I reboot the router again. The fact that Sharepoint sees it means that you've done everything right. Something else is going bump in the night and no one seems to be able to pinpoint the problem. I've been feverishly working on the PC side of the issue to see what I can come up with but I'm running out of ideas. Initially, I had firmware version 1.21 and Shareport version 1.14 running. My hardware version is A3. The test I use is to run my drive imaging software, which can take up to 5 hours to complete, and under the aforementioned setup it ran for just over 4 hours before it lost connection. I then decided to upgrade the firmware to the latest version and use the accompanying Shareport software. I have yet to see the drive stay connected for longer than 1 hour before it disconnects. Rebooting the router has been the only way I have found to get it to reattach the drive. I have disabled the NIC and then re enabled it to refresh the network without rebooting the router and this has not worked. If I reboot my PC, when I start Shareport I now am presented with 2 identical hard drives neither of which will connect. Of course, there really is only one but I cannot figure out why it shows 2 and the only way to correct this is to reboot the router. D-link engineers cannot duplicate the problem but my guess is that they are running the test on a pristine setup without all of the myriad software that is added and removed by the common user, not to mention the **** that usually comes preinstalled. If the D-link engineers could concoct a monitoring program that would create a log that we could then ship to D-link (to somehow pinpoint what is happening) would be something I would volunteer for. But, I don't think they know what to look for so how can you write a monitoring program if you don't know what to monitor? I went so far as to install the Netmon software by Microsoft to see if I could get some idea what is happening when the drive detaches. What I found, and this could be speculation, is that I received a flurry of UDP requests from the router just before or during or after the drive detaches. Most of them were identification requests from the DNS. What I noticed is that although I correctly registered my primary and secondary names, it would say that something about it was incorrect. This may all be pie in the sky wishful thinking as I have no idea if  the router should query who is on the other end and it doesn't like the answer; would it disconnect my drive? Inquiring minds want to know.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:09:59 PM by Clancy »
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

Where there's 1.10 there's probably 1.11  ;)

tgranados

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »

I have a DGL-4500 router running the 1.21NA firmware. I also cannot get the SharePoint utility v1.10R1 to connect to my drive. The utility shows the drive and states it is available. When you click on the connect it says "Connecting" then changes to "Getting Status" then returns to available. It never actually connects.

marvan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »

I'm afraid that the problem is due to the new code of SharePort written in the new firmware of vary routers that the SharePort can't be made successful connection after couple hours although a device is connected to SharePort permanently.

My DGL-4500 with firmware v1.15 could stay for weeks without any reboot which I didn't have any issue with printing.  After I upgraded to v1.20, I must reboot my DGL-4500 everytime when I have some printing.  Even I upgraded it again to the latest v1.21beta01, still the same happen.

I've posted this issues many times under PC SharePort and DGL-4500 but none of D-Link support reply me !! What kind of the services from this large corporate!?!?!
two DIR-X5460 v1.11
DCS-8630LH 1.06.01
two DCS-8526LH 1.08.01
HP EliteDesk 800 i7 running Win11 (on 2nd X5640)
Synology DS620slim NAS (on 2nd X5460)
Macbook Pro 13" M1 (on AX WPA3)
Macbook Pro 15" i7 (on AC WPA2)

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 04:09:45 AM »

I've posted this issues many times under PC SharePort and DGL-4500 but none of D-Link support reply me !! What kind of the services from this large corporate!?!?!

The forum is not a support channel! If you really need to contact Dlink support you can use the channels mentioned on the website (email/phone). The forum is only slightly moderated by Dlink personnel, there is only input from other users.

PS: before starting to scream "The forum should be...": It is not. Period.

marvan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »

Of course I know what is forum and how to contact the proper support.  Actually, I did email the D-Link support about the SharePort issues but they just asked me to call the technical support directly but never help to forward my case.  Although I have told that the problems only happen after I upgraded the firmware and SharePort software, the helpdesk only keep asking me to call the technical support and no help at all.

In this D-Link forum, who are the forum admin & moderators?  You?  They should be from D-Link, aren't they?  Who announced new firmware and news, etc., in this forum?  You?  There are many users have reported the same problems on vary model routers and some users even have requested to remove the download links of the problematic firmwares to avoid more users will be trap.  As a big corporate, although this D-Link forum is not a proper channel, they should respond us and correct their mistakes immediately (e.g. remove those firmware from their FTP).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:44:28 AM by marvan »
two DIR-X5460 v1.11
DCS-8630LH 1.06.01
two DCS-8526LH 1.08.01
HP EliteDesk 800 i7 running Win11 (on 2nd X5640)
Synology DS620slim NAS (on 2nd X5460)
Macbook Pro 13" M1 (on AX WPA3)
Macbook Pro 15" i7 (on AC WPA2)

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »

(...)
In this D-Link forum, who are the forum admin & moderators?  You?  They should be from D-Link, aren't they?  Who announced new firmware and news, etc., in this forum?  You?  There are many users have reported the same problems on vary model routers and some users even have requested to remove the download links of the problematic firmwares to avoid more users will be trap.  As a big corporate, although this D-Link forum is not a proper channel, they should respond us and correct their mistakes immediately (e.g. remove those firmware from their FTP).

So what are you trying to say here? Apparently you haven't been paying much attention to what goes on on the forum.