• April 17, 2024, 11:36:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Only getting half of my connection speed.  (Read 51755 times)

PiranhaKAU

• Level 1 Member
Only getting half of my connection speed.
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:21:22 AM »

Hi.

I have been using a D-Link DIR-600 for a couple of years now. And I haven't had any problems until maybe a couple of months ago. It all started with my internet just kind of dying (mostly in the eavnings) and not working until i rebooted the router. So I call my internet provider and they tell me to update firmware and to plug the internet straight into my computer instead to rule out everything at their end.

After some time I manage to update firmware. Problem with internet sill remain but is not as frequent. I left it like that for a couple of weeks, but earlier this week i checked my connection speed and it says i have only 50mb/s after the firmware update. Since i had the weekend off I plugged the internet straight into my computer and get my full internet speed at about 90mb/s. After plugging in the router again I only get around 50 again.

Now I have checked the firmware again and I found a newer version 2.15b i think it was. Updated to that one and problem with speed still remain.

Any help would be appreciated.

- PiranhaKAU

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Only getting half of my connection speed.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What region are you located?
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Has a Factory Reset been performed? Was a factory reset before and after sending the FW file then setup from scratch?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
Double NAT
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP server feature. Tools/Time.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

PiranhaKAU

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »

Hi.

EU/SWE. Fiber from a wall socket.
I did try disabling wireless and testing speed. Same result. I will try reset.

Thx for the help.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »

Try a test and disable QoS.

Disable any PC security programs while speed testing as well.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

zerowalker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »

I am having the same issue as this.
from also have Fiber.

Tried many things.

Product Page : DIR-600
Hardware Version : Bx
Firmware Version : 2.15

I only get 50mbit out of 100mbit when i connect.
I have set the cable to 100mbit/duplex on my NIC to confirm that wasn't the issue.

Hard Harry

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »

Hi.

EU/SWE. Fiber from a wall socket.
I did try disabling wireless and testing speed. Same result. I will try reset.

Thx for the help.

I assume you have a ONT? What kind and how is it configured? Do you need PPPoE or does it use DHCP? Does it have NAT? etc.

zerowalker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »

The original guy is probably not here anymore, check the date;P

What is ONT btw?

Hard Harry

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »

The original guy is probably not here anymore, check the date;P

What is ONT btw?

Ahh, thanks for heads up. I was kind of on a posting binge so didn't notice  ;D

ONT is Optical Network Terminal. Basically a fiber modem. Some are transparent, other have router functions which can conflict performance wise with routers connected to it. Typical dual NAT scenario.

zerowalker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 09:44:23 PM »

Oh, well i ahve no idea what i have.
I have an apartment and just plug it in the wall and get 100/100 ;P

Can't speak for what the "Main router" is etc.

What should i do to troubleshoot, as i assume i should be able to get 100mbit via this router?

Hard Harry

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »

Oh, well i ahve no idea what i have.
I have an apartment and just plug it in the wall and get 100/100 ;P

Can't speak for what the "Main router" is etc.

What should i do to troubleshoot, as i assume i should be able to get 100mbit via this router?

First step is finding out what your connecting to.  Doesn't the ISP have any support info?

Also, can you explain what you tried when you tried "many things"?  How is the router configured? DHCP? PPPoE? Other? What IP do you get when connecting direct to the wall?

zerowalker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »

Not real
First step is finding out what your connecting to.  Doesn't the ISP have any support info?

Also, can you explain what you tried when you tried "many things"?  How is the router configured? DHCP? PPPoE? Other? What IP do you get when connecting direct to the wall?

Not really, don't think so at least.

As for many things i i just mean messing with random settings, new firmware etc.
Haven't done anything in those you are talking about.

Though i just made the router to an Access Point, and now i get real speed.
Problem is i can't even reach the router now, how do i login to it?

Hard Harry

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »

If the router works better as a AP, that means what ever is providing internet to the ethernet jack is a router. If THAT router (what ever it is) has the same access IP (192.168.0.1) then you need to change it on the DIR-600. To do so disconnect it from the wall, reboot it, and then when wired to DIR-600, bring up the 192.168.0.1 IP. Once logged into the DIR-600 the Setup > Network Settings > Router IP Address > change to something else, IE 192.168.2.1 and then save the settings and reconnect to the wall.

Also, keep in mind that the DIR-600 is a bit long in the tooth, and was more a value brand even when brand new. Wired as a AP, can probably handle 90-95Mbps, but wireless is going to be less. Only a single antenna Wifi N draft 150Mbps. My guess is wireless speeds will be 30-40Mbps.

zerowalker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »

If the router works better as a AP, that means what ever is providing internet to the ethernet jack is a router. If THAT router (what ever it is) has the same access IP (192.168.0.1) then you need to change it on the DIR-600. To do so disconnect it from the wall, reboot it, and then when wired to DIR-600, bring up the 192.168.0.1 IP. Once logged into the DIR-600 the Setup > Network Settings > Router IP Address > change to something else, IE 192.168.2.1 and then save the settings and reconnect to the wall.

Also, keep in mind that the DIR-600 is a bit long in the tooth, and was more a value brand even when brand new. Wired as a AP, can probably handle 90-95Mbps, but wireless is going to be less. Only a single antenna Wifi N draft 150Mbps. My guess is wireless speeds will be 30-40Mbps.

I would like to access the router without rebooting it, but i can't figure out how to access it when it's in AP Mode.
If i can i will then change the other settings and see how it works out.

As for the bandwidth, i think that speed is probably fine, that's what i about get when i connect directly.
Wireless speed is less of an issue, as long as it's 10mbps+ i am happy on that part.

zerowalker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:37:51 AM »

Is there no way to login to a router that's been converter to an AP without reseting;(?

Hard Harry

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 05:03:45 AM »

Is there no way to login to a router that's been converter to an AP without reseting;(?

I am not sure. You should just be able to disconnect it from the wall, which will stop the IP conflict with your ONT, and be able to access it normally. Can you ping the 192.168.0.1 IP? The internal webserver should still be up even if acting as a AP. At-least I would think. Can't find confirmation. Anyone else have one to confirm?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:05:35 AM by Hard Harry »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5