• April 26, 2024, 09:47:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Controlling share name?  (Read 7503 times)

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
Controlling share name?
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:49:11 AM »

I've recently purchased the DNS-321 and have been setting up access control (Advanced/Network Access). I'm wondering if the user can set the 'Share' name or is it strictly under the control of the unit?

Also, I just noticed that when you set a temperature alert, it both sends out an email and turns the unit off! I wonder if it automatically resets itself when the temperature drops back below the limit? Can anyone recommend an appropriate temperature? I notice that the default is 122F/50C. Perhaps that's the recommend value. Unfortunately, I'm close to that now at 119F. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:59:37 AM by sdhome »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Controlling share name?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »

Access Control is set by the DNS-321.

Is that the temperature moving data I think you will be OK. If in power management mode that may be a little hot and you will want to make sure you fans a spinning properly that would seem high.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »

Access Control is set by the DNS-321.

Is that the temperature moving data I think you will be OK. If in power management mode that may be a little hot and you will want to make sure you fans a spinning properly that would seem high.

I assume you are saying that the 'Share' name is set by the unit and cannot be edited by user, correct?

The temperature only varies by a degree or two when in use and the fan seems to run even when not being accessed? Do you recommend I provide better ventilation to the cabinet? What should I set the alert temperature to to ensure reliable operation?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »

Users, Share names, R/W permissions on the DNS-321 volume are controlled and configured on the unit.

Yeah it look like you need better circulation it seems a little hot.

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »

Users, Share names, R/W permissions on the DNS-321 volume are controlled and configured on the unit.

Yeah it look like you need better circulation it seems a little hot.

I understand that those parameters are configured on the unit, but my question was whether you could create your own 'Share' name just like you can create your own 'User' name?

Can you recommend an alert temperature for reliable operation? I picked up a louvred grille today to vent the top of the compartment, but I need to know what the maximum recommended temperature is. Also, I'd still like to know if the unit will restart after shutdown when temperature drops back below alert temperature. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:01:12 AM by sdhome »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:36 AM »

The share name will be the volume or folder sharing on the unit.

I would recommend using the setting default on the unit and the unit will not restart on its own after shutdown you will have to manually restart the unit.

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »

The share name will be the volume or folder sharing on the unit.

I would recommend using the setting default on the unit and the unit will not restart on its own after shutdown you will have to manually restart the unit.

Thanks. I will go ahead and increase the ventilation to my cabinet and hope that the termperature stays below the default value of 122F/50C. In the meantime, I will set the alert temperature to this value.