• April 24, 2024, 07:35:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Effect of password protecting folders  (Read 4783 times)

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
Effect of password protecting folders
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:01:36 AM »

I'm considering setting up usernames and passwords on my new DNS-321. I'm wondering if this will have a negative impact on backup performance. I happen to use SyncBackSE to backup, but suspect the issue is generic to any backup with username/passwords set.

Also, I wonder what is the recommended setting for Oplocks (yes/no) when backing up from Windows Vista. Right now it's set to the default No.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Effect of password protecting folders
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »

Setting up usernames & passwords should not adversely affect performance, although you could create a situation where the backup simply fails due to a lack of access, especially with Vista - the NAS uses linux and SAMBA to provide interoperability with Windows and there have been compatibility issues - there are work arounds but not being a Vista user, I can't be more specific.

Oplocks - or opportunistic locking should not be an issue for you on or off unless you are trying to access the file from multiple locations simultaneously - it's purpose is to prevent concurrent write access.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

Thanks fordem. That's the feedback I was hoping for. Apparently, I got it set correctly after a few tries because SyncBackSE is now running backups with username/password in place.

Also, glad to hear Oplocks is not a factor. We could be running simultaneous backups from two Vista laptops, but writing to different folders on the same drive. Would that be an issue?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »

I would not expect it to - when I said concurrent write access, I meant to the same file.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.