• April 26, 2024, 04:59:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems setting up e-mail notification alerts Gmail  (Read 18807 times)

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
Problems setting up e-mail notification alerts Gmail
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

I'm having difficulties setting up my e-mail alerts to be sent to my Gmail account:

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Sender E-mail : what?
Receiver E-mail : alan3885@gmail.com

Test Result: Failure

What am I doing wrong could someone please help me and verify that I'm setting this up right?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Problems setting up e-mail notification alerts Gmail
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:11 AM »

If it's like the DNS-323 (which I think it is), you can put pretty much whatever you want as the sender email - DNS-321@gmail.com - or even use the same sender & receiver addresses - it simply puts that information in the "from" field in the email - the critical information is the SMTP server, the user/password and obviously the receiver email address.

Now - why does it still fail?

Does gmail allow SMTP from where ever you are?  They may not - as a method of controlling spam.
Does your ISP allow SMTP from your ip to anything other than their SMTP servers?  They may not - as a mthod of controlling spam.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

zoomzit

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »

Gmail does not have an SMTP server we can use. I finally got gmail notifications to work by using my ISP's smtp server.

In my case, I have never used Comcast's email accounts, etc, (nor have I ever set them up or logged onto the comcast website) but I can use smtp.comcast.net as the SMTP server and it works....

Hope this helps.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:27:33 AM »

Gmail does not have an SMTP server we can use. I finally got gmail notifications to work by using my ISP's smtp server.

In my case, I have never used Comcast's email accounts, etc, (nor have I ever set them up or logged onto the comcast website) but I can use smtp.comcast.net as the SMTP server and it works....

Hope this helps.

It all depends on your ISP and how they deal with SPAM - some will allow SMTP relay from anywhere inside their network without authentication, which in my opinion is somewhat risky - Comcast obviously falls into this category - others will allow SMTP relay from outside of their network provided you can authenticate, and others will not allow SMTP relay unless you're on their network - which I find frustrating.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »

The DNS-323 will only work with email services that support the standard email port 25. If the email service such has gmail supports authentication and/or required a port other then 25 the mail service will fail.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:00:39 PM »

I wonder if D-Link can make a easier/friendly way of making e-mail alerts regardless of which e-mail provider you have and to just simply work.

jswashburn

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:04:22 PM »

Hope this helps.

I'm in the same situation as you.

I've got Comcast in Houston TX, but I only use GMail to send and recieve from Outlook. However, I've gotten around the whole non-ISP SMTP issue by configuring my POP account to send and receive via SSL. You just have to enable it from your GMail account setting, and then configure your e-mail client too. For example, incomming POP3 uses port 995 while the outgoing SMTP uses port 465.

I suppose having the DNS-321/323 support SSL and alternate ports would be nice, but for now I just use my Comcast SMTP server to send from.

onthecake

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

Yes. I had the same question about using gmail.

Since gmail uses Port: 465 or 587 with authentication this wont work.

I did get it to work with my local time warner account so I guess I will be using that.

For future request it would be nice to be able to use secure mail and select the port it is sending from (IE Firebird or Outlook type setup)