• April 23, 2024, 11:22:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Strange behaviour of Network  (Read 8811 times)

DefCon

• Level 1 Member
Strange behaviour of Network
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:56:27 AM »

Hi
I am trying to upgrade the "backbone" between 2 buildings. We currently have a DES-1005 as repeater between 2 DGS-3024. I thought why not add some management to that point and ordered a DES-1228 to get both management and gbit support. Now the strange part, when adding that 1228 to the network i can reach it from one side but not reach the other buildings 3024 , have tried both gbitports and 100mbitports , no matter what i do i dont get connection, but when going back to the old 1005 all works perfect.
My hair is turning grey as i cant figure out wtfh is going on. Can someone please give me a hint on what to do as i would really like to get this 1228 in that spot
//DefCon

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Strange behaviour of Network
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »

When you say no connection do you mean no link light?  If not you will need to clarify.

Lock down the connection speed on both sides (of the bad link).

The problem is (most likely) that the cable to the second side is not at the top of it's game and the DES-1005 is just a little more resilient.  You could prolly connect the side B to the DES-1005 to the DES-1228 to side A, and have it still work.  I just don't recommend it.
non progredi est regredi

DefCon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »

thx for reply
When i say no connection i mean that the led on the switch is lit, the port that leads on to the other building indicate that it has right speed (through webinterface), but i can't ping nor browse via webbrowser the switch in the other building.
Thx for the tips , will try them out  :)
//DefCon

DefCon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:07:57 AM »

Sorry for late reply to this thread.
I can give you an update on what has happend to that connection.
As the DES-1228 wouldn't play nicely with me and i couldn't use the old DES-1005 switch due to voip-issues I went ahead and installed a DES-3010G there and it worked perfect so nowadays we have Gbit to that switch and from there we use a 100Mbit port to the other building and everyhing goes smooth (vlan,voip, and so on).

Would like to thank you guys for all input and ideas you given me   8)
//DefCon