• April 28, 2024, 02:18:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't install software on Vista 64 Bit  (Read 8470 times)

kannibal25

• Level 1 Member
Can't install software on Vista 64 Bit
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »

Hi!

I've currently got 2 PC's setup in my home, one for myself primarily and the second one that is used mostly by my parents and sister.

My PC's Specs:
Vista Ultimate 64, SP1
4 GB RAM
500 GB SATA drive

My Parents PC Specs:
Win XP Home, SP3
2 GB RAM
250GB SATA drive

Due to the way our basement is wired, the Cable modem and Linksys router are hardwired into my parent's PC and I've been trying to get my PC online wireless.

The Linksys router (WRT54GL) is already setup for wireless as evidenced that both my iPhone and Xbox 360 work just fine through it. The issue I'm having is that, for the life of me, I'm simply NOT able to get the wireless adapter working.

I know its not the adapter malfunctioning as, for kicks, I tried installing it on my Parents (Win XP) PC and within 3 min, was able to see the new wireless connection and get online through it.

The issue on my PC is that, while the adapter is recognized by Vista, the driver software simply DOES NOT install. Here's what happens:

1) Follow Instructions on install guide, insert CD
2) Click on 'Install Driver/Software'
3) Follow Prompts, connect USB Thumbstick when asked

Here's where it gets loopy. After connecting the wireless adapter, windows simply.. does nothing. I see that both the DLink software is -trying- to install, and i get a prompt by the system tray that Vista is 'installing software', nothing happens. For a lark, I left the PC on for over 2 hours on the same screen to come back and see that I got a timeout error, specifically 'Waiting on user response'.

Since then I've tried installing the software:
- Safe mode
- Safe mode w/networking
- Safe Mode and running installer file as admin
- Safe mode w/networking and running installer file as admin

All Fail with the same results.. which is nothing. Most times, the only way I can cease the install is to physically remove the adapter itself from my PC, at which point the install actually says its successful and I can see a wireless adapter in Network connections, but it is permanently disabled.

I've also tried using the Add New Hardware wizard to just install drivers located in the Vistax64 folder, but get an error indicating that the installation failed.

For the life of me, I can't figure this out. So Odd. Tried calling DLink support and they're suggestion: Downgrade to Vista Ultimate 32 bit (WHA??).

Has anyone else seen something similar?

kannibal25

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can't install software on Vista 64 Bit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »

Wow, 60 Views and not one reply? I take it then, that my problem is one of those 1-in-a-million things that shouldn't happen, but does.

kannibal25

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:12:08 PM »

Ok, so further troubleshooting attempted..

Managed to get another old PC up and running, this one using a 32 bit version of Vista Ultimate (mine came with both 32 and 64 bit DVD's).

Software running is nearly comparable. Same AV suite used, different graphics and sound devices, but all peripherals stayed the same (USB Mouse, PS2 Keyboard).

So this PC's Specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.2 Ghz (Single CPU/Core)
2 GB Ram
Vista Ultimate 32 Bit

I install the DLINK Driver CD and.. within 3 min, have a functional wireless connection. Did not get any additional prompts from Vista during software install, which I find odd as this PC has NEVER had a wireless connection installed onto it. Didn't even get the 'Found New Hardware' prompt once I inserted the USB Thumbstick.. again odd, unless the DLink software supresses it somehow.

So at this point, its either something on my 64 bit PC that is screwing up the install.. or the 64 bit drivers that are wonky. Seeing as how there appears to be a distinct lack of posts here declaring similar issues, i'm going to go with something on my PC.

kannibal25

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »

Ok.. so.. further update.

Reconnected my Vista x64 PC up today, didn't make any hardware/software changes from the day I started having issues till now.

Re-inserted Dlink CD and followed instructions... now I'm getting messages indicating that the software install was successful! I can also see the new 'Dlink Wireless Manager' icon on my desktop which I never had before.

Only problem is that neither the Dlink software OR the Adapter itself appear to work. Double clicking on the Dlink Icon does nothing, I'm still not seeing a Wireless connection in either my System Tray or in Network Connections and more ominously, the adapter itself fails to light up when either connected via the USB Cradle that came with it, or directly into previously working USB ports on my PC.

The adapter itself still does work as I connected it to the older XP 32 bit PC and it lights up instantly. I've rebooted my PC both with and without the adapter hoocked up.. still nothing.

I've also checkced the Windows Event Viewer to see if there were any software or hardware errors.. doesn't appear to be as all I see listed are 'Informational' entries that have nothing to do with the wireless adapter.

I'm completely and utterly stumped.

Help!

kannibal25

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »

Well, managed to resolve this issue by exchanging the USB Thumbstick for a DWA-522 Internal N PCI card. Even that install had issues, but in the end, managed to get it running and am replying to my own thread on my Vista x64 PC.

I've got to say that there seriously has to be some issue with Dlink driver software as it took the better part of 3 hours to get this damn internal card to work on ANY PC as the drivers would CONTINOUSLY hard lock the PC (XP 32 bit/Vista 32 bit/Vista 64 bit) at the exact same point of install, so PLEASE DO NOT BLAME MY PC!!.. this is directed at Dlink's mostly useless support staff.

Took a bit of digging but found the solution in installing the Atheros chipset drivers instead of Dlink's proprietary garbage and from then on, smooth sailing. Given how much your phone support personnel use every tactic in the book to point blame on the PC, i feel very vindicated, though will highly doubt I will use ANY further Dlink product as you've reminded me why I avoided them previously like swine flu.