• April 18, 2024, 04:46:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM-750, HMDI and AC3 output in Extender mode  (Read 3257 times)

afh3

• Level 1 Member
DSM-750, HMDI and AC3 output in Extender mode
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »

My DSM-750 will provide AC-3 Dolby Digital audio output while in Extender mode using the SPDIF optical output to my receiver when the content contains such an audio signal, but it does not seem to provide anything but LPCM from the HDMI interface.

When it is in MediaLounge mode, it will output AC-3 Dolby Digital via the HDMI interface as well as the SPDIF - so I know my receiver is configured properly to decode the signal regardless of which input I monitor.

To summarize: Using the HDTV tuner in my MediaCenter, and tuning to an AC-3 encoded program-source, the DSM-750 will pass the AC-3 audio to my receiver via the SPDIF connection, but will only pass LPCM via the HDMI interface. Likewise, a video-file with an AC-3 track encoded on it will play in Extender mode with AC-3 when monitoring the SPDIF output, but will only play as LPCM via the HDMI interface. That same video-file will play as AC-3 via BOTH the SPDIF and HDMI outputs if I operate the DSM-750 in the MediaLounge mode.

Should I conclude that AC-3 just doesn't work from the HDMI when the unit operates as an extender? If so, it seems to be a bit disappointing. If not, perhaps there is a configuration of the DSM-750 that I have missed - although this seems unlikely given the few configuration options present in the menus.

Can anyone here verify that their DSM-750 does output AC-3 Dolby Digital via the HDMI interface when operating as a MediaCenter extender?

Thank you for any insight you may have to offer in this matter.
-afh3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:35:00 AM by afh3 »