• April 25, 2024, 06:42:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't access web-server content within DIR-615 network  (Read 5277 times)

hallrar

• Level 1 Member
Can't access web-server content within DIR-615 network
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:42:25 AM »

Hi, just exchanged an older router with the DIR-615.
I have port forwarded port 80 to the web-server PC. The web-server forks fine from an external PC outside of the network, but from a PC within the DIR-615 network it's VERY slow and finally stalls.
Some text is downloaded in my browser but all graphic content is abscent.

Does anybody know why this happens, and is there a solution?

Hal

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
Re: Can't access web-server content within DIR-615 network
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »

are you trying to access by IP or Hostname?

hallrar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »

If I, from a PC within my network

a) use the internal IP adress to the web-server (192.168.0.6), everything is fine.

b) use the external IP adress or my hostname, I get the problem.

And again, if I use a PC outside of my network use IP adress or hostname, everything is fine.

Hal

hrbanana

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »

Have you tried disabling the SPI firewall? Maybe play around with firewall settings & make sure you are running latest F/W.

hallrar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »

Now I tried disabling SPI but it didn't help.
I am running the latest firmware (4.11).
As for playing with the firewall settings, I am not sure what to try. I thought port-forwarding port 80 to the correct internal IP adress should do it.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Anyone who is running a web-server without this problem?

Hal

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:37:57 AM »

If I, from a PC within my network

a) use the internal IP adress to the web-server (192.168.0.6), everything is fine.

b) use the external IP adress or my hostname, I get the problem.

And again, if I use a PC outside of my network use IP adress or hostname, everything is fine.

Hal

Hello, I think that in this case it might not be an issue per se with the 615 because i have seen other brand routers do the same thing. You see what is happening is being caused by how the DNS reflector is working. When you use the outside hostname its resolved to your public IP. This works great from the outside because you have your public IP forwarded to your private IP and the request came from the outside. But when this request comes from the inside the DNS reflector gives the public IP to your inside (private client).  When the client starts to access the public IP from the inside, some loops start to occur because you are forwarding traffic from the public IP right back into your private network when all that was needed was direct access from the private network. The loop goes private to public to private etc. Round and round. Some multilayer switches (routers) can handle this correctly maybe with the spanning tree protocol (if at the switch level) or firmware that is able to associate the real private IP with the external request based on the forward when it should resolve internally. Either way some routers like the 615 it appears are not setup for this. The only way to really get around it is to always use the IP internally or to add an entry to your hosts file in your windows machine. The hosts file entries are looked at first before the DNS query so the entry would have your outside hostname resolving directly to the private IP instead of the public IP. I hope I made sense because I have trouble translating whats happening into plain english.

hallrar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 06:28:54 AM »

I think what you're saying makes sense, and is probably true here. Thanks.

yet, I am stunned to realise this can happen with a router these days.

Surely this is a priority fix in future firmware-updates!

I've had 2 other routers earlier and none of them has this problem.

Hal