• April 19, 2024, 01:13:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Succesfully using a dlink camera wirelessly and using motion detection +email?  (Read 12686 times)

eseltzer

• Level 1 Member

I am looking for a wireless camera that I can use to detect motion and email me that picture or preferably video file via smtp. I need the camera to support sending via an alternate port (port 587) when it sends email. Looking through the documentation on the cameras I do not see where it supports an alternate port. Will any of the dlink cameras do this?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Yes some of our newer camera's have this option such as the DCS-910 and 920 with the latest firmware only. This option is being implemented in the cameras more and more with the latest code.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

eseltzer

• Level 1 Member

So the 920 will support emailing video on an alternate port?

The emulator and documentation on dlink.com do not really show this. It also seems to indicate it will email images only.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Yeah the documentation probably has not been update since the last firmware release. Yes you can change the port used for the email service.

unhappy_customeer

• Level 1 Member

The smtp email function on the DCS-920 does not work. I have spent countless hours with tech support but it is no use. It simply doesn't work. You have to either monitor the camera in person or watch the saved videos after the fact. An email notification in real time would be a great feature if it worked.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member

The smtp email function on the DCS-920 does not work. I have spent countless hours with tech support but it is no use. It simply doesn't work. You have to either monitor the camera in person or watch the saved videos after the fact. An email notification in real time would be a great feature if it worked.

The 920 does not have built-in motion-detection, so cannot Email on that event. There are others that can, but not in this price-range...

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Check out the D-ViewCam v3.0 software you can set the software to do motion detection and email on alerts. Same email limitation as the camera standard SMTP only.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member

That is correct, but I understood the question about it working on the camera itself... DViewCam does have a wonderful event handling mechanism, but that still requires a computer running it...

eseltzer

• Level 1 Member

So who is right on this one?

Technical Engineer Global Moderator
Level 11 Member

or

everyone else.

I want a camera that emails out on events and can do it on an alternate SMTP port.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member

Both, the DCS-9xx does not have Motion Detection built-in, but if you can have a computer running DViewCam, you can use that program to detect and react on Motion Detected.

If you want to have a stand-alone motion-detection activity directly from camera, then you will need to go a bit more upscale. Then the DCS-9xx will not do.

If it is 'normal' SMTP you are talking about, then it is possible. The fancy SSL-like Email and WebMail are not supported by D-Link cameras (as far as I know, but things change almost daily).

Hope this clears up some of the back and forth mud.     ;)

barrybgb

• Level 1 Member

I have a DCS-5220 that does email video clips. I had it working at my last place but now since I have moved, I cannot use the standard port. I can not remember if that was port 25 or not.

My new outgoing ports are 465 and 587 with the inbound at 143

Is there a way to change the default port to that of my different email clients?

I am also not in favor of running a computer just to get the motion activated video clips sent to me while I am out of town.

thanks for any help

fsum242

• Level 1 Member

I have 2 dlink, 4 panasonic, 1 foscam and 1 axis.  Although every company offers a variety of camera options, I have found dlink not as good as panasonic or axis.  The biggest problem with dcs-5220 is they didn't build into the firmware the ability to change the outgoing smtp port to 587 (which they could easily make a firmware upgrade but choose not to).  There is no reason to buy a camera that doesn't offer this ability... even the cheap foscams night vision offers this and if the audio part wasn't so bad, I would only by foscam since it is only $120! Not one axis or panasonic consumer or small business camera (under $2000) offers that which obviously can be accomplished for cheap.  Panasonic cameras are the best bang per buck but if you want the elite cameras, Axis's is the top dog. 

If you are looking for analog cameras with DVR capability - www.icrealtime.com

So, go buy a panasonic 700 series and be done with banging your head against the wall! Move up and out - trust me, for a few more $$$, you time is worth more than a dlink! ;D

www.GoVerge.com
Smart Automation in your hands!

!!!!clarkkent

• Level 3 Member

SMTP are normally on 25. If you are not using 25 then DCS-5220 is not the product for you since it is one of the oldest cameras... It's even tagged as End Of Life on the support site. Newer ones have the option to change the SMTP port to anything other than the default 25.
"A mighty sword is useless in the hands of a coward!"