• March 28, 2024, 02:45:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Replacement parts cameras?  (Read 23198 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Replacement parts cameras?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »

The laws I quoted are applicable to domestic (i.e. United States) sales and purchases. U.S. companies are not required adhere to United States commercial law for overseas markets, but are rather held to the local laws of the jurisdictions where the products were marketed and purchased. Under the global policy of eminent domain, that's true for all nations.

Without proof, I think it's a stretch to conclude that D-Link treats domestic and international consumers differently. If a product is out-of-warranty (in the United States), there is no requirement to provide after market support (even for a cost). There are a fair number of domestic (U.S.) consumers in these forums with out-of-warranty product support issues and the inability to acquire parts for legacy products.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

jeffjohn

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »

I was thinking that 'fitness for purpose' would necessitate replacement or service at reasonable cost for an acceptable period beyond the statutary warranty, subject to mitigating wear-and-tear .  I returned my out-of-warranty TFT-TV to the UK store and benefitted from a substantial rebate when I cited fitness-for-purpose within 6 years.  I assume that imported goods would not be exempted from EU convention.

jeffjohn

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:52:55 AM »

The UK agents for D-Link stated that as the item was not purchased in the UK, they did not support it.  I guess that concurs with your findings in that as I bought in NY State, then I am bound and limited to US jurisdiction.  Fair enough!  Jeff

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »

The UK agents for D-Link stated that as the item was not purchased in the UK, they did not support it.  I guess that concurs with your findings in that as I bought in NY State, then I am bound and limited to US jurisdiction.  Fair enough!  Jeff

I can't speak for U.K. law specifically, but under U.S. law, if a foreign seller actively markets (i.e. advertises) their products in the buyer's jurisdiction, they are held to local law (even if the purchase was consummated elsewhere).

For example, Acme Inc., a foreign company, advertises in City X: "Residents of City X, visit our website and purchase our widget". The buyer in City X is making an foreign purchase prompted by the seller. Under these specific circumstances, the seller maintains liability. The real problem is enforcing those rights if the seller has no local presence.

Law on this is further modified by the conditions of the sale (i.e. the fine print), specifying the warranty conditions, sale location, etc.

In your case, it sounds like you visited a third party vendor website in the U.S. to consummate the purchase. The problem lies in the fact that you weren't directed there by "party in question" (not to mention that we're discussing U.S. law rather U.K. law.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:07:31 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »

I was thinking that 'fitness for purpose' would necessitate replacement or service at reasonable cost for an acceptable period beyond the statutary warranty, subject to mitigating wear-and-tear .  I returned my out-of-warranty TFT-TV to the UK store and benefitted from a substantial rebate when I cited fitness-for-purpose within 6 years.  I assume that imported goods would not be exempted from EU convention.

Under U.S. law fitness for purpose does not extend past the warranty period. The buyer is well aware of the constraints of the warranty when the sale is consummated. Exceptions to this circumstance exist under a legal doctrine where a product's performance is held to the standard of the class of products with similar function, similar price range, similar quality, and similar underlying technology. If a particular product fails while the "industry standard" for a similarly classed product continues function properly, then there is a case.

Keep in mind that you must provide proof that a significant number of these products are failing (not just the one unit you purchased). This is one way class actions are initiated.

uubird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 01:37:58 AM »

My DCS-6620G just died as well - red+green lights = paperweight. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy anything from D-Link again, as many have noted, they might as well not claim to even have a support department.

uubird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »

So does anyone know how to procure a replacement board for a 6620G?  I have requested one from the URL given and note that I am assured a prompt reply! Surely there is one repair shop in the USA?

uubird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »

My DCS-6620G just died as well - red+green lights = paperweight. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy anything from D-Link again, as many have noted, they might as well not claim to even have a support department.

uubird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »

Could d-link staff respond to this, please!  there are many of us with defunct IP Cams that need a new m/board.  Otherwise the product is just an expensive paper-weight after its short warranty!!

uubird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 11:53:57 PM »

I need the tiny .5 inch cooling fan for my DCS-5300G....

uubird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »

I doubt we will get any answer, from my experience with trying to get warranty on one and from what I have read from other people your pretty much own your own, dlink support is pretty much non existence. They just want to sell new cameras after that good luck...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »

uubird, from your flurry of posts it looks like you're waiting for a response from D-Link. D-Link does not frequently post threads in this DCS forum.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:12:22 AM by JavaLawyer »

WyreNut

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »

Does the term "link spammer" ring a bell with the flurry of posts?  ;)

WyreNut
Moderator, Palm Inc. Community Forums
http://forums.palm.com
Pages: 1 [2]