• April 23, 2024, 12:08:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: QoS  (Read 8198 times)

wisetsui

• Level 1 Member
QoS
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »

I have an VoIP Phone, are there anyway to enable QoS on my DIR-615 B2 v.2.24?

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=959.0

I saw the beta firmware here, is anyone tried and know whether it is stable or not?

Thanks.

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
Re: QoS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:21:42 AM »

This router does not feature QoS you must upgrade to the higher-end models such as the DIR-625 or 655 >:(

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:17:01 AM »

Upgrade to firmware version 2.25 and thank D-Link :D. I can't believe it but D-Link has finally released a new firmware/feature and they finally added a QoS engine in the new firmware version 2.25 and It's such a huge improvement and for me since I can tell you that my overall network performs better and more efficient and that’s the way all networks should be no questions asked. I love surfing the web, VoIP, and watch live streaming IPTV so this is a huge benefit and should be standard today on all new 802.11n routers shipping today so everyone can have a great experience.

- Thanks D-Link  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:38:37 PM by alan3885 »

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:38:12 AM »

I was wondering does the DIR-615 F/W 2.25 feature WAN traffic shaping and if not why?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:55:45 PM by alan3885 »

c3max

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

Compared to the higher end N-routers the QoS engine implementation on the DIR-615 is weak.  It is supposed to be some type of auto QoS where it "detects" streaming traffic an gives it higher priority, but there is nothing that is configurable. 

I have a VoIP adapter that I wanted to put behind my router.  I have now tried it and the quality is so bad when I am trying to upload from my computer and talk on the phone at the same time that I sometimes drop calls and everbody complains about how bad I sound. 

I feel like I have been had.  I bought this router thinking that I was going to get real QoS, but all I have is another dumb 802.11g router :(  Thanks D-Link.

-C

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »

D-Link is there anyway to improve the QoS engine inside the D-Link DIR-615 you guys almost have the best entry level 802.11n router in my opinion so good job. ;) First off the QoS engine needs some more tweaking and refinement in four areas network priority efficiency, performance, and quality. I have a dedicated computer running Magic Jack with (Windows XP, P4, gigabit nic, and really nothing else installed or running) and I only notice a slight improvement I sometimes still hear some echo and jitter so I sometimes really question is my QoS really working on efficiently prioritizing my VoIP packets and yes it could be a lot better? Is there any way you can do more tuning to the QoS engine and especially with HD streams and VoIP and let end-user have some flexability add the option for the customer to customize the levels and other to the QoS settings? I read on smallnetbuilder.com the DIR-615 cannot be sustain a decent amount of connections this router needs some performance, better range (when in mixed wireless mode performance and range degrades and decreases alot and its starting to get bad), and tuning updates with a new firmware update. I really see the potential in this entry level 802.11n DIR-615 router it is almost ready to shine among all other entry level 802.11n routers in the industry.  ;D

"It should be noted that the D-Link DIR-615, although also based on a (different) Ubicom processor and having the same 16 MB of memory, did not perform the same as the DIR-625 in my tests. ??? The biggest differences came in the simultaneous throughput and maximum connections tests. But, more significantly, the 615 could reliably sustain only 32 connections in the maximum simultaneous connections test. Ubicom questioned these results when they first posted in the charts and said its tests (also done with IxChariot) produced results more like the 625's. D-Link had no comment on the results." - From smallnetbuilder.com

So why can the DIR-615 router only sustain 32 connections D-Link?

Smallnetbuilder.com review:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30387/96/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:15:05 PM by alan3885 »