• April 19, 2024, 09:45:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: my router still works.  (Read 15781 times)

zoulkyud

• Level 1 Member
Re: my router still works.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »

Let me be honest.  I am running this router perfectly normally.  I watch netflix on my Xbox.  I do all my standard stuff before that locked up the router.  You may say your settings are the same but I believe one of the settings is the culprit.  I can't see the same firmware, on the same hardware mysteriously working on one but not on another.  I am not saying your settings are wrong but that one of them is the nefarious culprit and is what Dlink needs to fix.  I may upload my config file later if it will help.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:47:37 PM by zoulkyud »

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

Hey guys,

I got some news.. We finally got some code but we are not releasing it out yet to you guys. You know what happened last time everyone got the code and didn't like it. That said we are hand picking customers to try out this code and waiting for their feedback. It's not going to be released as soon as you think. We will be testing in our environment, which btw we never see the issue in house. Customers that we have picked will be testing out this code and we will wait for there results. If we get enough positive feedback from those selected customers we will make a decision to post it here as beta for you to try or not. It will all depend on testing results.

Sorry it has been this long and we may have lost you as a customer and wish you the best of luck on finding a new router. For those that are still around we are working on a fix.

jdiffend

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »

A router could be up for an extended period of time and you do just the right (or wrong) thing and boom.
Given my experience with the firmware I'd say it's difficult to identify exactly where the problem lies.

My router was up for two days... then I tried loading several web pages while the 360 was downloading the latest 'The Guild' video.
The 360 download seemed to continue downloading but the web pages were failing including the router setup page. 
The 360 is hard wired but the laptop I was trying to browse from is wireless.

I tried pressing the buttons on the router to see what it said and the menu came up but the content under each menu item was blank.  It wouldn't even display the date/time.  When I got to the last menu item it crashed and rebooted.  I think I might have been trying to wrap back to the first item but I'm not sure.

Now, I had been streaming video from Netflix, downloading videos, etc... the entire time the system was up without a hitch.  What changed?  Good question.

I just hope the new firmware fixes the problem.  I'd be happy to test it but I think they want people in the local vicinity.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »

If you'll release the code I'll put it on my a1 and see what happens since we already know what it was doing with 1.21na.  I truly hope that the new code will correct the problems that are present with this router.

ssnui

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »

I got a new FW 1.21NA build 3 (I guess I was handpicked by Dlink), load the FW runs for 3 days and it started to act up again. First the wireless signal were weaker, then the slow down of DL speed to about 1/3 (after 30 mins) it got back up to the same level as before. Then the locked up and reboot happened.  I have to restart the router 3 times in order for it to connect to obtain the IP from AT&T. One thing got fixed: UPnP that got screwed up when the Windows Home Server try to config the router. And the USB share port problem got fixed too.

ssnui

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »

And I email the contact at Dlink on the status but haven't heard back from him.

jdiffend

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »

The 360 download seemed to continue downloading but the web pages were failing including the router setup page. 
The 360 is hard wired but the laptop I was trying to browse from is wireless.

I tried pressing the buttons on the router to see what it said and the menu came up but the content under each menu item was blank.  It wouldn't even display the date/time.  When I got to the last menu item it crashed and rebooted.  I think I might have been trying to wrap back to the first item but I'm not sure.
Minor correction.  The status menu item displayed the "GENERAL WIRED INTERNET WIRELESS" screen but it wouldn't bring up screens under them if I remember right.  I need to start writing this stuff down as it happens.  I'd even capture network traffic if it would help... though that would be huge and near useless with all the streaming I'm doing.

I can't return a router I've had for a year so I'm stuck seeing this through or I would buy another Netgear... my last one works great.  You couldn't give me a Linksys though.  The Linksys routers I've dealt with make my 4500 look reliable.  High bandwidth stuff *always* crashes the Linksys routers I've used and it never takes long.

I will say that D-Link has some of the easiest/best setup options... if they can just get the *#$% thing stable I'll be ecstatic.

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »

I got a new FW 1.21NA build 3 (I guess I was handpicked by Dlink), load the FW runs for 3 days and it started to act up again. First the wireless signal were weaker, then the slow down of DL speed to about 1/3 (after 30 mins) it got back up to the same level as before. Then the locked up and reboot happened.  I have to restart the router 3 times in order for it to connect to obtain the IP from AT&T. One thing got fixed: UPnP that got screwed up when the Windows Home Server try to config the router. And the USB share port problem got fixed too.

Thanks for letting us know here.. I will forward the message to the person who sent you the code. Please PM me the name.

Also what H/W version is your unit?
You say AT&T is your ISP.. What is the first two octets of your WAN IP located in the status page?
Or whats the make and model of your modem?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:33:38 AM by Ru-Fi-Oh »

Craiji

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »

Build 3 - has been up for DAYS here, best firmware my router has seen for a while

pricek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

I'm using the original 1.02 FW on the A1 model... been up for 14 days :)

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »

Build 3 - has been up for DAYS here, best firmware my router has seen for a while

What HW version is your unit? Let us know the exact run time. Thank you

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »

I am personally not handing out this code version 1.21 build 03. Only the ones that we chose will get this.

If you get the code from the users that are reporting it fixes the issue then hey I can't stop you from getting it. Again, it is Beta so don't be causing up a storm if it doesn't work like some of you have done in the past. You know who you are  ;)

the ones that have been selected to test out the code should be communicating with the Person who handed it out to you. Also If you don't mind reporting your findings here so I can make sure they are following up with you guys or you can PM me. I would like to know personally if the code you guys have fixes the issue (WAN slowdown and Lockups). Thank you!

keLston

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 01:32:14 AM »

Let me be honest.  I am running this router perfectly normally.  I watch netflix on my Xbox.  I do all my standard stuff before that locked up the router.  You may say your settings are the same but I believe one of the settings is the culprit.  I can't see the same firmware, on the same hardware mysteriously working on one but not on another.  I am not saying your settings are wrong but that one of them is the nefarious culprit and is what Dlink needs to fix.  I may upload my config file later if it will help.

And let me be honest. I was running this router perfectly normally. I watched TV streams. I was torrenting patches for my guild and clan in games. I was playing games. I was streaming music. I was browsing websites without a hitch. I did all my standard stuff and then download the 1.21NA and bam. Problems started. In fact, I had a lock up just now. What was I doing? Nothing. I had just opened my homepage (Google) and then I could no longer do anything else without power cycling.

You say it's a setting. My settings match your settings EXACTLY according to your screenshot.

I am not saying you are wrong except you are wrong. Yeah man, I downloaded what you claim to be a perfectly working firmware that hundreds of users are complaining about across various broadband sites to the point of filing with the BBB and planning a class action lawsuit. Yeah man, I purposely went out of my way to sabotage my own router so that I could no longer use the internet service I pay for exactly how I want to use it. Yeah man, I would prefer to complain on the manufacturer's website instead of having a working router.

Yeah man, makes perfect sense. Hundreds of people would rather destroy their 200 dollar investment so they can post on a forum instead of not doing that. Yeah man, people would rather take off from work to wait for a D-Link technician to come to their house and sit there for several hours to witness a lock up rather than getting paid and not wasting a day. Makes perfect sense now.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:34:16 AM by keLston »

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 04:35:43 AM »

FW 1.2x is crap and everybody knows it so stop trying to distract newcomers by attempting to con them into believing that its an isolated incident.

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »

My DGL-4500 is sitting on the sideline now, not even connected any more because of the problems with it.

I recently ordered a NetGear WNDR3700 router which came in on the 9th. Since I hooked the 3700 up and configured it, the difference has been dramatically significant.

ISP: Verizon DSL 3.0 MB

With the DGL-4500, it was a struggle to get my Sony Bravia iLink to work and even then, it wasn't worth using. With the WNDR3700, the iLink performs flawlessly and I can use it to watch movies with no interruptions.

When browsing the internet on my system, pages load significantly faster than they did with the DGL-4500.

The DGL-4500 would always present connection problems with my daughter's system no matter what I tried. With the WNDR3700 there are no connection problems with her system on my network.

Altogether, I'd say the experience with the DGL-4500 has not been very good at all and has been a wasted investment.

On the other hand though, the NetGear WNDR3700 has been a worth while investment.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard
Pages: 1 [2] 3