• April 18, 2024, 05:05:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Taking camera and using in other locations  (Read 5802 times)

cptstubing

• Level 1 Member
Taking camera and using in other locations
« on: January 05, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »

I've been taking my camera with me to use as a baby-cam.
I recently went to my mom's place for the holidays.  I had the camera there before so when I plugged it in, I assumed it would work.  I had to power cycle it a couple of times and redo the WPS button on the router and cam.  It eventually worked.

Now I'm home.  I plugged the camera in and it didn't automatically connect to my router.  I had to pin-hole reset the camera and delete the camera from my app and add it again.  This is a real pain in the butt.

Why is this?  Wouldn't the camera just connect to the internet if the router recognizes it?  This doesn't seem like the case.
I'm guessing now that my camera is connected to the internet through my own router, if I went back to my mom's place and plugged it in, would it not work again?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Taking camera and using in other locations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »

That sounds correct.

The cameras only know of 1 connection.  They aren't like your cellphone and store a lot of WiFi connections.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Taking camera and using in other locations
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:36:44 AM »

Cameras only connect to the SSID (wifi network) you have created. As Ryat said, it only stores 1 connection. If you move the camera to a new location it cannot connect unless it is using the same SSID and password. This is common with most Wi-Fi clients other than smartphones and tablets.