• April 19, 2024, 02:52:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't access some internet sites/slow speed  (Read 6271 times)

sam6357

• Level 1 Member
Can't access some internet sites/slow speed
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »

Just installed new dlink 615 router and 2 adapters on my other two computers in my house.  Everything connected fine, I have internet access on all computers,  BUT when I try to visit certain websites it comes back and tells me I have no connection, (but I do).  I have gone through all the forum discussions and can't find where this issue is discussed. The other issue I have is the extremely slow speed of the internet access, which is discussed at length here, so I am trying different fixes that have been recommended.  So far I have changed the WEP to WPA-Personal, and I think it has sped things up abit.  But I noticed that one of the moderators said they do not use any encription, so maybe that will fix both of my problems??  FYI:  one of the websites that don't allow me on it is The Weather Network, sorta weird...  Can anyone help me with this?  Another FYI:  when I changed from WEP to WPA-Personal the other two computers in my house lost its connection to the internet!!

WyreNut

• Level 2 Member
Re: Can't access some internet sites/slow speed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »

Your fastest wireless connection is going to be achieved using WPA2 encryption.  When I changed up from WEP to WPA2, I saw my connect speed change from 54Mbps to 162Mbps.

Of course, all your other computers and Wifi devices will have to change their connection method also!

WyreNut
Moderator, Palm Inc. Community Forums
http://forums.palm.com

sam6357

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »

Yep, I fixed the speed problem by changing to WPA2 only, cipher type AES.  The problem remains with some websites unable to display, I believe it is a problem with the DNS, as I am able to access the internet.  From the CMD prompt on my computer I ran the ipconfig and my default gateway, dhcp server and DNS server is all the same: 192.168.0.1 which is the IP to the router.  I think maybe that something has to change there to fix my dns problem.  Any ideas??
Thanks

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

Do you have primary and secondary DNS servers configured on the router's Internet Setup settings? You could try using the free OpenDNS servers. Set your DNS addresses to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and see if your speeds improve.

sam6357

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »

umm...just tried that, didn't work.  Can't seem to bring my kids computers online now, changed their settings to match the changes I made on the router, still not connecting.

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »

Just a long shot, but do you have DNS Relay enabled (under Router Settings) in the Network Settings Setup?

sam6357

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:49:21 AM »

I have it enabled, I tried disabling it and it didn't fix the problem. I got one of my kids computers back on line, working good, strangely enough, his computer with the adapter can access the websites that I can't.

sam6357

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:58:05 AM »

Okay, having just read what I posted I realize if the other computers with the adapters can access the websites that I cannot then it must be something with my computer and not with the router.  Like maybe Norton is blocking for some reason, so I'm going to disable my antivirus and all firewalls and see what happens.