• April 16, 2024, 04:03:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Power via PoE, network via Wifi  (Read 7506 times)

sp1ke

• Level 1 Member
Power via PoE, network via Wifi
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

I have an Ethernet cable going outside the house now. The previous owner used it for something but as far as I can tell it's leading nowhere right now. Inside the house, the cable is connected to an RJ45 outlet. I don't have wired ethernet inside the house apart from this cable but I could use a POE injector (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386535829&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+injector) to power the security camera.

This would power the camera but and as far as networking goes I could use my existing WiFi.

I was just wondering if the camera would still connect to the WiFi network if there's an Ethernet (power only) cable connected to it?

GaryNY

• Level 2 Member
Re: Power via PoE, network via Wifi
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »

I was just wondering if the camera would still connect to the WiFi network if there's an Ethernet (power only) cable connected to it?

You're asking about the DCS-2310L, right (this is the DCS-2310L forum)?  The DCS-2310L is a wired-only camera, it doesn't support Wifi regardless of how it's powered.  The similar DCS-2332L camera does support Wifi, but I believe that one doesn't support POE. 

I think your choices are complete the connection of your ethernet cabling from the POE injector to an ethernet router or switch, or run separate power (not POE) for a DCS-2332L to run via wifi. 

Note that these cameras use 5V power when powered by a wall adapter.  POE voltage is higher.  Because of this, POE is able to supply power over greater distances.  The length of wire you can use with 5V power is more limited, due to voltage drop in the wire, unless you use heavier gauge wire than what's built onto the standard AC adapters.  You're best off to not try to run a longer 5V power wire than what comes built onto the AC wall adapter (if you can't locate the adapter close enough to the camera, you're better off using a 120V extension cord to get the power adapter close enough to the camera).

GaryNY

• Level 2 Member
Re: Power via PoE, network via Wifi
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »

Here's yet another idea if you can't run ethernet cable to the POE injector:  This is a wifi range extender that also has an ethernet port. http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx I believe you could use this to receive your wifi signal, convert it back to wired ethernet, then pass it through a POE injector and finally to the camera.

Note this leaves a question in my mind of if your wifi is secured with a password, where do you enter the password to gain access? I think not in the camera. Maybe the wifi range extender has some way to enter a password for wifi access for its ethernet port?

The answer, after looking at the description, is this extender would be where the wifi password has to be entered, and it has a WPS button (working together with WPS on your router) should make it easy to complete the connection.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:51:21 AM by GaryNY »