• April 17, 2024, 05:03:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: ActiveTV log in fails  (Read 7236 times)

mikehd

ActiveTV log in fails
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »

I've got ATV installed on a networked PC per the setup instructions. It is not configured for media sharing of folders, but under the advanced settings the UPnP Server Status is Green/Running. I have no firewall between the DSM-520 and my PC. Windows Firewall is Disabled, but ATV says it is enabled. I checked the exceptions for the Windows Firewall (even though I have it Disabled) and it has all three programs in the exception box that are required (ehshell.exe, MediaMallServer.exe, wcsdmxp.exe).

So when I go back to the DSM-520 and try to use ATV, I get the "logging in" message and it never completes. It finds the PC that has the service running but doesn't log in successfully.

I do not have any other media connector service running (didn't install the d-link app, nor am I using WMP11 to provide media). I get my local media from a networked HP MediaSmart Server.

How can I get a successful log in? In previous attempts I would see a message on the PC with ATV saying to allow the connection, so I clicked it but still no successful connect.

I've got F/W 1.06 on the DSM-520 and the latest ActiveTV version. Host PC is running WinXP Pro SP2, fully patched. H/W is a C2D, 2GB DDR2, P35 mobo. Connecting via LAN not wireless.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: ActiveTV log in fails
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »

What anti-virus or personal firewall software are you running on your PC?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mikehd

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »

From my OP:

Windows Firewall is Disabled, but ATV says it is enabled. I checked the exceptions for the Windows Firewall (even though I have it Disabled) and it has all three programs in the exception box that are required (ehshell.exe, MediaMallServer.exe, wcsdmxp.exe).

Forgot to include that I'm running AVG Free for my Anti-Virus. No other firewall or resident AV programs running.

When I do get the notification on the ActiveTV host PC to allow the login, then the DSM times out waiting for a reply.

Side Question on the ActiveTV log in functionality: Will I have to acknowledge the log in at the Host PC every time I want to access ActiveTV from the DSM? If so, this will drive me to simply uninstall the app from my Host PC. I can't see it being much value if I have to select it on the DSM, then run up to the Host PC to acknowledge, then run back to the DSM and use ActiveTV.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:34:20 PM »

Once you connect it once you will not be prompt to do this again when connecting to ActiveTV. 

You AVG software will need to be disabled (if that works) or configured to properly allow the ActiveTV software access to network devices. I am very sorry but I cannot help with the configuration of the AVG software please refer to the manual or online help.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mikehd

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »

Once you connect it once you will not be prompt to do this again when connecting to ActiveTV. 
This is good news.

You AVG software will need to be disabled (if that works) or configured to properly allow the ActiveTV software access to network devices. I am very sorry but I cannot help with the configuration of the AVG software please refer to the manual or online help.

Disable my anti-virus? I don't think so. It doesn't block ATV. No warnings, nothing in the logs. It's not the issue.

Regardless, I finally had 'success' in connecting to the ATV server on my host PC. I don't know why, as I didn't change anything on either the DSM or my host PC.

rhebs

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:51:54 AM »

This exact same problem happened to me.  I disabled Windows Firewall, but still kept getting the authorization message again and again.  It finally worked but it took over 30 minutes of fussing and I'm not sure why.  The new Active TV software is buggy.  The new firmware update for the DSM 520 is buggy too.  Too bad.  I would tell anyone thinking of buying this product to find something else.  I've had this unit for over a year now and it's never really worked right.  It's slow, the active TV Online software is buggy, the support blows, the remote is unresponsive and the file format support is limited.  NOT worth the money.  I hardly use this device at all anymore and would not purchase it if I had to do it over again.

tlchris

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »

Same problem here, i get the LOGGING IN TO ACTIVE-TV PC...  and nothing!  it use to work, the only different thing is that i install Windows SP3 and Tversity.

i even uninstall my eset nod32.

it is wired.

Can someone help me .

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:56:22 PM by tlchris »

caljsco

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:02:33 AM »

I'm running Active-TV and within that i've installed TVTonic (activated and all;account set up too)..now when i try to open it up on my DSM 520, it kicks me back to the MediaMall Homepage...now the other sites (CNN, CNN money, Heavy, YouTube, etc.) work, but this TVTonic is not..it works fine if i open it up on my desktop/Media server...any solutions...i know it's not the firewall, because i've tried it with and without the firewall, plus the other sites work which come off the MediaMall...please enlighten me on how i can correct this and continue to enjoy the use of your product...i'm not yet frustrated with this, but kindly offer me a solution before it comes to this...

from your faithful customer, Jim

Rhonie

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »

Looks like I am going to send the DSM-520 back.  It does not do the only thing I bought it to do.  I am having the same problem everyone else is having and get no support from Dlink to resolve this issue.  Active-TV does not work.  I rest assure that the paid services will connect with no problem.  I wasted a good part of Saturday and Sunday trying to get this issue resolved.  Maybe we should talk about legal action against Dlink for the time we have all wasted on trying to get a hold of Tech support and the time that we all wasted by not getting a fix for what apparently is a Beta product. And for false advertising. Tech support 24x7 is a lie also.  I would advise Dlink to contact me with a fix Asap.  Attorney standing by.