• March 28, 2024, 03:56:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Night Performance  (Read 5259 times)

arcticfax

• Level 1 Member
Night Performance
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »

Over the past few weeks, I have found most things about this camera to be exemplary.    However, I've recently noticed that night performance is lacking with my camera.  To describe it, night mode seems like it is merely a grayscale mode.   The camera switches modes perfectly fine and two IR lights are visible on the face of the camera.   But the video feed is pitch black. 

All other aspects of the camera operate properly.    But I cannot understand why the night mode produces a picture with no illumination.     I have an older D-link baby camera DCS-825L.... and the night mode on that camera is excellent with full illumination.    So - I don't really understand why the performance of this camera is so lacking.

Has anyone else encountered this?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Night Performance
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 11:19:04 PM »

So to be completely clear,  you have NO IMAGE whatsoever if the IR LED's are on and you are in FRONT of the camera?

Do you hear the camera click when entering day/night mode?

There might be an issue with your IR CUT filter...

Try slapping it around in your hand a few times...  ??? ???

arcticfax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »

There is an image it is very faint.   In the attached image, the outline of an object can be made out at the left side.   And I can confirm that I hear the IR mode click over with both red IR LEDs illuminated.

At this point, I've gone through all the settings in the Web UI to see if there was something that I could do.  But at this point, I might have to take your advice and give it a good slap.

I was hoping that someone with the same camera could verify what their performance is like in a dark room.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:32:26 PM »

There is an image it is very faint.   In the attached image, the outline of an object can be made out at the left side.   And I can confirm that I hear the IR mode click over with both red IR LEDs illuminated.

At this point, I've gone through all the settings in the Web UI to see if there was something that I could do.  But at this point, I might have to take your advice and give it a good slap.

I was hoping that someone with the same camera could verify what their performance is like in a dark room.

There aren't many posts in the 936L :(

So what are we looking at?

How far away is that item in the image?  A few feet?  20 feet? You should get about 15 feet with the IR's with no other light source. An Amazon reviewer claimed 10 to 12 ft.

Everything is fine during the day?  Is this a room? Outside?  If you turn on a light - everything is in day mode and looking fine?

It really does look like the IR cut filter isn't working properly, and  you are stuck in day mode all the time.

There is an nightvision image at the review on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R18S1Z6DBML85X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01HO9XZR4

Take a flashlight and shine into the area - and see if it is in color like day mode or in night mode.  I'm not sure if you would hear a click without it changing modes.  I guess anything is possible and it's still failing to switch over.

arcticfax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »

I see.

I've been looking at it a bit more this evening and testing the cut over.    There is a second click.    So..  when the lights are turned off, the camera clicks once.... then after a couple of seconds there is a second click.   My other D-Link camera only clicks once per mode switch.    So I'm becoming more convinced that it switches to night mode + grey scale........ then for whatever reason, it switches to back to day mode with grey scale enabled.   When I turn the lights back on, there is no clicking sound.  The camera simply switches to full colour.

I'm tempted to try a factory reset to see if it changes... otherwise I think this is a dud...   I have objects within 3 feet of the camera and it should all be visible.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »

OK - that is definitely making more sense now.  Thanks for the follow up.

Is the camera installed in any odd way?  Upside down and to the left?

Have you tried a different location?  Is there any magnetic interference of any sorts? (I think that's what controls the IR cut filter, I could be mistaken, I'm not an electrical engineer, just an old time hack).

Of course - it could be a dud.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:50:31 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DCSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?
What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

arcticfax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »

Hi,

I replaced the unit today with another one.   After doing the basic setup, the issue is resolved.   The previous unit clearly had a defect whereby it would not stay in night mode for more than a couple seconds despite the IR leds being activated.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Night Performance (RESOLVED)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »

Glad the new unit works.

Enjoy.  ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.