• April 19, 2024, 04:20:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NAS Volumes stop writing files when only 75% full  (Read 3077 times)

ousterj

• Level 1 Member
NAS Volumes stop writing files when only 75% full
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »

My NAS Volumes stop writing files when only 75% full.

I have several DNS-320s and one DNS-325. They are used only for backups; no apps are installed. Most of the HDs were formatted (as one individual volume for each HD) by the ShareCenter App. One DNS-320 has two 3 TB HDs as RAID-1 for a 6 TB volume. I use Seagate NAS 4TB NAS and WD Red 3 TB HDs in these NAS.

When running backup to the NAS the file transfer fails, Backup reports the Network destination is not longer available, yet the NAS volume is not full. The same occurs when manually copying files to the NAS volume.

When this happens I check ShareCenter and see this:
       NAS volume Storage Status:
       Volume 2
       3665.59GB / 1045.9GB Available   71%

This problem occurs on all my NAS volumes between 71 to 83% full.

Here's what I've done so far with no resolution.
. Checked that each DNS has latest firmware.
. Moved the HD to the other slot.
. Moved the HD to another DNS.
. Reformatted the HD (with ShareCenter) and started over.
. Installed a new HD, formatted, etc.
. Double checked the amount used on Local HD vs NAS volume.
. Removed NAS HD, installed in PC, formatted (NTFS) and tested to 98% full.

I've been trying to solve this for a couple of months and I'm getting desperate now. Am I going to have to use a 4 TB volume to backup every 3TB ?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: NAS Volumes stop writing files when only 75% full
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:20:36 PM »

For a start you say
One DNS-320 has two 3 TB HDs as RAID-1 for a 6 TB volume.
that is impossible.  If you have RAID 1 then you have only 3 TB capacity (the two disks are a mirror of each other), on the other hand if you have RAID 0 then you will get a 6 TB volume.

Now a few questions.
1)  what operating system are you using on the computer/s you use to transfer files?
2)  have you tried to use FTP to transfer the files?
3)  are these large (greater than 1GB) or small files that you are trying to backup?
4)  What backup software are you using?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ousterj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »

For a start you say
One DNS-320 has two 3 TB HDs as RAID-1 for a 6 TB volume.
that is impossible.  If you have RAID 1 then you have only 3 TB capacity (the two disks are a mirror of each other), on the other hand if you have RAID 0 then you will get a 6 TB volume.

Now a few questions.
1)  what operating system are you using on the computer/s you use to transfer files?
2)  have you tried to use FTP to transfer the files?
3)  are these large (greater than 1GB) or small files that you are trying to backup?
4)  What backup software are you using?

You're correct Ivan. It was a brain fart that made me type RAID 1 instead of RAID 0.

1)  I use Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 PCs.
2)  The same problem occurs when I use ftp to copy files (from PCs internal or external HD) to a NAS volume.
3)  One HD has  mostly large files ( 6,000 files, 2.3 TB total). Another HD contains small files (1,100,000 files, 3.0 TB total). Others have a mix. All have the same problem.
4)  To copy files I've used ShareCenter Local backup, Comodo Backup, Karen's Replicator, WIndows Explorer file/folder copy, Teracopy, FastCopy and ftp with the same results.

Prior to the DNS=325 and 320 NAS units I used DNS-321 with two 2 TB HDs. I  used both one vol per HD in one and RAID 0 in one with no problems.

I keep thinking that there must be something simple that I'm missing and I'll do a facepalm when I find out.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »

OK, you have given me something to think about because what you are seeing we don't see here.

We have several DNS-320 boxes that we use for local backup of service data (all RAID 1 but some 1TB, 2TB and 3TB disks).  We also have clients with similar setups which we installed. 

Something like what you are seeing was mentioned some time ago (I can't remember the forum) and we did a test using some of our units in case this was something we needed to be aware of for our clients.  In every case we were able to fill the disks to 98% without problems.

Now I am wondering if it is an Operating System problem because we, and our clients, don't use Windows.  There have been reports that win 10 is not operating correctly on some networks by giving incorrect disk space information on network drives and even actually dropping the network connection to them. 

I do not know if this is what you are seeing but it is a possibility.  There is one possible way to test this but it does require that you have a little knowledge of the Linux operating system or know someone that uses it and would be willing to use their computer to do the test.  The test is simple, use one of your NAS boxes that windows thinks is full and use linux to see if you can add more files.  The results of that test should show the way forward.

I will talk with my service people when I see them tomorrow  (the boss gets the night shift in turn just like everyone else) to see if they have any other thoughts about the problem. 

ousterj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »

There is one possible way to test this but it does require that you have a little knowledge of the Linux operating system or know someone that uses it and would be willing to use their computer to do the test.  The test is simple, use one of your NAS boxes that windows thinks is full and use linux to see if you can add more files.  The results of that test should show the way forward.

I can probably mange to use one of the Linux versions enough to do this. I think I can boot my laptop from an Ubuntu or other CD and run this test. I will give it a try this week.
If I wasn't so set in my ways (lazy) I'd probably switch to Linux. However I support a bunch of family and friends who all use Windows and I need to stay current.
Thanks for the tip.