• March 28, 2024, 01:10:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to add a password to a router that has already been set up  (Read 27740 times)

jennab85

• Level 1 Member
How to add a password to a router that has already been set up
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »

Hi everyone I have a DIR 655 router which my husband set up prior to leaving for overseas deployment. We live in a rural area and depend on satellite for high speeds which has a usage cap. Lately I have been suspecting that a neighbor is using my connection and I know this because my ISP HughesNet provides a status meter which is shows our 24 hour download allowance status and often the meter drops a lot without me doing anything or surfing the web. My husband didn't set up the router with a password and I'm unsure and can't find the manual. I was wondering if anyone here could help me. I know I should have set a password earlier but I want this set up as soon as possible to avoid getting my speed reduced through HughesNet's FAP system. So any help will be appreaciated. Thank you in advance.

MGP

• Level 1 Member
  • Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow!
Re: How to add a password to a router that has already been set up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:09 PM »

If you can login to the router with no password, then once you do login, click "Tools".  That will bring you right to the admin tab.  You can set two passwords.  One for the router admin, which has full administrative rights, and a user password, which would allow users to login, but only view settings. 

But that isn't the root of your problem if someone is using your network for internet activity.  That would be due to a lack of security on the wireless network.  You should set the strongest security that is common between your router and network interface card.  (Some older network cards might not support WPA2).  If both the router and network card support wpa2, you should choose that as your security with AES as your cipher.  (Choose Setup, Wireless Settings, and Manual Wireless Setup, to do this).

Good luck,
MGP

jennab85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »

If you can login to the router with no password, then once you do login, click "Tools".  That will bring you right to the admin tab.  You can set two passwords.  One for the router admin, which has full administrative rights, and a user password, which would allow users to login, but only view settings. 

But that isn't the root of your problem if someone is using your network for internet activity.  That would be due to a lack of security on the wireless network.  You should set the strongest security that is common between your router and network interface card.  (Some older network cards might not support WPA2).  If both the router and network card support wpa2, you should choose that as your security with AES as your cipher.  (Choose Setup, Wireless Settings, and Manual Wireless Setup, to do this).

Good luck,
MGP

I was able to login into the router and I tried to set the passwords through tools but it wouldn't save. I will try the network interface card later on.

Wack2K

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

If you suspect a neighbor is accessing your wireless network, then you should immediately follow MGP's instructions to secure your wireless network.  You can always add a password to router access later.  If the neighbor cannot access your network, then he/she cannot make any changes to your router configuration.

jennab85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

I tried to do manual wireless setup and I was still unable to get the changes saved on the page.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:29 AM »

It as been noted that the saving of changes can be blocked by some versions of Firefox.  You should try a different browser.

jennab85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »

It as been noted that the saving of changes can be blocked by some versions of Firefox.  You should try a different browser.

I tried using Internet Explorer but again nothing worked. Do you have any reccomendations of what might work?

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »

One thing you can do if you are the only one using the Internet at home, is to unplug the router when you are not actively using the Internet.  With the router off there is no way your neighbors can "Borrow" your signal.

jennab85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »

One thing you can do if you are the only one using the Internet at home, is to unplug the router when you are not actively using the Internet.  With the router off there is no way your neighbors can "Borrow" your signal.

I do that sometimes. But I use mostly my MacBook and a laptop. The desktop PC I have is about dead and I don't like to use it for school or work related purposes. Yesterday I had some stuff to do online but I was talking on the phone with a friend. I didn't open a browser at all. My ISP HughesNet provides their customers with download allowance status meter that shows how much bandwidth/data cap I have during my 24 hour rolling cycle and slowly I saw my meter drain from 97% download allowance to 0%. As I resulted I got FAP'D by HughesNet in which they reduce your speeds to very  slow speeds for 24 hours. HughesNet gives customers one free restore token in which you can speeds restored and after that you have purchase restore tokens for $5. I used my free restore token to get my speed back and again my bandwidth/data cap was drained down to 39% within in hour. I had several things to online yesterday and I could tell that someone else was using my connection through my status meter.  I think the neighbor that is stealing likely doesn't realize that my ISP has a FAP/bandwidth cap policy and he or she probably doesn't know that I have a tool that helps tell when other people are using my connection.

I think I'm going to have to reinstall my router or something. I tried making changes through the emaulator with different browsers but nothing has worked.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:22:34 AM by jennab85 »

Wack2K

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:10:27 PM »

What version of the of the router firmware are you using?  It will tell you on the upper right corner of the router login page.  The latest version of the firmware is 1.34NA.  Try upgrading to that version and see if that allows you to save the settings.

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

-=snip=-
... I tried making changes through the emaulator with different browsers but nothing has worked.
Your use of the word "emulator" makes me wonder... are you entering a local IP address (192.168.0.1 by default) in the address of your browser to access your router, or are you maybe accessing the online emulator?  :-[
DIR-655 H/W A4, Firmware 1.34NAb02 beta

war59312

• Level 3 Member
    • Will's Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »

Sounds like something is wrong with your router.

I would just do hardware reset via the small reset whole on the back of the router. Simply put a small needle in there for 30 seconds or until all the lights on the front of the router light up.

Then try and log into the router and see if you can set up a new password and enable wireless WPA network security.

BTW I have no problem with settings saving for my router using FireFox 3.6.12, IE 9 beta, Opera 11 Alpha or with Google Chrome 9 Canary Build.
God Bless America

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »

I do that sometimes. But I use mostly my MacBook and a laptop. The desktop PC I have is about dead and I don't like to use it for school or work related purposes. Yesterday I had some stuff to do online but I was talking on the phone with a friend. I didn't open a browser at all. My ISP HughesNet provides their customers with download allowance status meter that shows how much bandwidth/data cap I have during my 24 hour rolling cycle and slowly I saw my meter drain from 97% download allowance to 0%. As I resulted I got FAP'D by HughesNet in which they reduce your speeds to very  slow speeds for 24 hours. HughesNet gives customers one free restore token in which you can speeds restored and after that you have purchase restore tokens for $5. I used my free restore token to get my speed back and again my bandwidth/data cap was drained down to 39% within in hour. I had several things to online yesterday and I could tell that someone else was using my connection through my status meter.  I think the neighbor that is stealing likely doesn't realize that my ISP has a FAP/bandwidth cap policy and he or she probably doesn't know that I have a tool that helps tell when other people are using my connection.

I think I'm going to have to reinstall my router or something. I tried making changes through the emaulator with different browsers but nothing has worked.

Hi jennab85,

Not guessing what is wrong, but try this to fix the problem.

Do a Factory Reset, like war59312 suggests.

Using a Wired computer to the Router, set up the settings again.

Change the SSID Signal Name and stop broadcasting the Name. Don't use the default name.

Set up Wireless Security using WPA2 Only!, if possible.

Use the Network Filter to only allow your Computers access to the Internet.

Also turn off or Stop participating in programs that send back your Usage to them, to improve the product.

I would however use the Router's Firewall.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10