• March 28, 2024, 03:05:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Do I need new Firmware, or is something set wrong?  (Read 2358 times)

Dillpickles

• Level 1 Member
Do I need new Firmware, or is something set wrong?
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »

Hello,
I'm in Pattaya Beach, Thailand I've had my DSL-2750U a few yrs. After going around & round between my IP Service, and condo staff about problems with wiring and internet speed. I have come to the conclusion my problem may be the router. My service is suppose to provide 13M download, and 1M upload, which I almost never got. Condo maintenance men decided to fix the phone jack in my living room, which before was connected to the one in bedroom.

Now my speed in intermittent, the longer my computers are running the slower the speed gets. I find myself restarting the router, or my PC to get the correct speed. I know nothing about my router except I have Firmware Version TH_1.03. If it's new Firmware that must be installed, I'll have to get a tech here to install it, as I don't trust myself, and may wind up knocking my network off-line

Can someone please advise.

Thanks ,
Dillpickles

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Do I need new Firmware, or is something set wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Are you wired or wireless when testing internet speeds?
Its not really recommended to speed test via WiFi due to many variables that can cause inaccurate results....Mfr wireless device design and support will be a factor.  We don't recommend speed testing over WiFi as a default test due to issues like this and many other factors and variables that lead to inaccurate results. Testing over wired LAN cables for default speed tests is preferred.

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding FW updates. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Dillpickles

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »

FurryNutz,
Thanks for the reply, the condo management is aware that not only myself, but number of other residents are experiencing the same problem.  They have moved others internet, Wi-Fi  connections to other phone jacks, or were able to make live. All the phone jacks were not made hot when this complex was built, only five yrs. ago. The advent of cell & smart phones made it not a priority, for residents. Unfortunately the only game it town is our ISP, or the complex's free Wi-Fi.  Satellite dishes aren't allowed, no fiber optics available for this area of Thailand, cable TV is provided by the complex, but of course limited.  Reason being for most of us our internet connection is so important.  Our ISP said the signal is stable, that's it's maybe poor isolation of the phone lines, management said they will put in a new box next month. 

Until today I wasn't aware that others were experiencing reductions in speed as I am. I have a net work of 3 computer, 2 laptops , and 2 tablets are Wi-Fi, my D-Link is connected to my PC. So it appears my D-Link is functioning properly.

But, one other question; I am aware of EMF, just wondering if having too much phone line bundled (snap tied together) could cause interference in the signal? I had to moved the  router  when I realized I was getting it from other devices.

Thanks again for you time.

Dillpickles

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »

Ya if the phone lines are not filtered well and there is other devices near by, could be an issue.

Seems like maybe that the ISP phone lines could be the issue or the service quality on them. One way to check is to take the DSL modem to a different location, say friend or family and see if the problem follows. If not, then you'll know.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.