• April 23, 2024, 06:53:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Firmware Beta 1.21b02 Beta 1 feedback and comments!  (Read 103997 times)

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: Firmware Beta 1.21b02 Beta 1 feedback and comments!
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »

Already I ran into some problems with " Firmware Version :  1.21NA,  2009/07/09  ".  Granted I kind of expected this, but the upgrade will of course wipe your settings.  Luckily I made a backup.  However, I went to try to restore my config settings and I get this ****:

This suxs, I had a ton of reserved IPs and Rules.

That's why you don't restore config files.  Binary mismatch from different versions.

Eebobb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2009, 05:44:35 AM »

No Luck for me and I am using an A1 DGL-4500 and this up time sucks bad.  I really use my connection a lot and I get 26 mb down and about 30 mb up so when I go nuts it really puts it to work and mine dies in about a day if I really use it.  If there is a difference in this firmware I have and the official 1.21 then I will give it a shot but if there is no difference whats the point.   I am gonna try and get a new router from D-Link cause I cant use it.

It wont let me post my pictures because I get an error

Here is my routers stats =(
http://eebobb.net/pictures/1.jpg
http://eebobb.net/pictures/2.jpg

onepremise

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

That's why you don't restore config files.  Binary mismatch from different versions.

That's no excuse.  My Netgear FM114 and Snapgear SG300 restored configuration files fine in between firmware upgrades.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »

That's no excuse.  My Netgear FM114 and Snapgear SG300 restored configuration files fine in between firmware upgrades.

The changes between some of the firmware versions are VERY drastic.  It DOES cause a mismatch.  And if you write down the settings, it doesn't take long to set it back up.  That's fine that your other routers are able to do it, but that's probably because they aren't actively being updated with HUGE changes. 

onepremise

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »

The changes between some of the firmware versions are VERY drastic.  It DOES cause a mismatch.  And if you write down the settings, it doesn't take long to set it back up.  That's fine that your other routers are able to do it, but that's probably because they aren't actively being updated with HUGE changes. 

You're basically telling me a router shouldn't be able to restore backups?! Or even parse a simple config file and restore previous settings.  Most Netgear routers do it, CISCO routers do it, Snapgear routers do it, and any given supported DDWRT routers.  My Netgear router firmware upgrades wiped settings all the time, but I could always restore with the original config.  What's the purpose of having a 'backup' feature if you can't restore.  And yes, if you're somebody that actually uses a router for more than 'gaming', then you will have many settings that require time and several reboots to restore.  Original password, DNS settings, time server, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, Teamspeak, not to mention all the additional port fowarding, filtering, IP reservations, WIFI hostname, WIFI WEP password, syslogging, etc.  You may have bought this router for the pretty lights on top, but I bought it to use for work at home.  I have several machines I use for development and testing. It's a pain dealing with all the reboots and restoring settings after upgrades.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »

You're basically telling me a router shouldn't be able to restore backups?! Or even parse a simple config file and restore previous settings.  Most Netgear routers do it, CISCO routers do it, Snapgear routers do it, and any given supported DDWRT routers.  My Netgear router firmware upgrades wiped settings all the time, but I could always restore with the original config.  What's the purpose of having a 'backup' feature if you can't restore.  And yes, if you're somebody that actually uses a router for more than 'gaming', then you will have many settings that require time and several reboots to restore.  Original password, DNS settings, time server, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, Teamspeak, not to mention all the additional port fowarding, filtering, IP reservations, WIFI hostname, WIFI WEP password, syslogging, etc.  You may have bought this router for the pretty lights on top, but I bought it to use for work at home.  I have several machines I use for development and testing. It's a pain dealing with all the reboots and restoring settings after upgrades.

Are you that stupid that you can't read?  I said that it cannot restore changes that differ GREATLY.  The router firmware versions had some huge changes, so it makes sense that you cannot restore settings that weren't in place there previously.  It would EQUAL a BINARY MISMATCH.  Go look up mismatch or something and figure out what it means.  It's obviously not sinking in.  Yes, I do work from home also.  I'm an accountant.  On top of that, if and when I do my testing, I have everything the way I want it.  I have over 19 DHCP reservations, and WiFi settings, WPA passwords, etc.  Even GameFuel rules. 

The reason we EVEN tell you to start from scratch is to alleviate any problems that may arise.  What you are essentially doing in your testing is starting from a basic start point, and then configuring to see where there are flaws afterwards.  Afterall, this is a BETA and should be TREATED as such.

However, what it comes down to is that you cannot expect it to restore an older configuration file which contained settings that are no longer enabled by default, or that have significant changes to them.  None of those other routers you mentioned probably do it either.  If they do, I'm sure they are messed up in some way.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »

In all honesty the config backups should work. Even across the firmware versions. We've encoded the firmware so that the newer features are added at the end of the config list. However as a precaution,  Reinvented's method ensures that a badly written config file isn't to blame for poor/unwanted router performance.

onepremise

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »

Are you that stupid that you can't read?

Why the hostility? I'm simply responding to your post, without the need to type in caps.

I'm an accountant

Err? Why are you even responding to the posts here?  You're not even a DLink developer? I have legitimate concerns here as a DLink customer. 

The router firmware versions had some huge changes, so it makes sense that you cannot restore settings that weren't in place there previously

Rather than dazzle me with your divine intellect, why don't you let the techs do their jobs and take the flaming elsewhere.

hasteveha

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »

The offical 1.21 firmware on the dlink site, is it the same code at the 1.21 beta? Or is it newer?

Thanks

bttang83

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »

Hello everyone, I am a new member but I have been following these threads for quite some time, I have an A1 version of the router and have experienced all of the problems that have occurred, the slowdowns and lockups. I bought this router last October, so I still within the warranty period right? I have read that they sent out A2 versions of the router to some, does anyone know if those A2 versions are working any better than the A1's? If so, what do I have to do to get one? I have been updating with the newest firmware's as they have come available, and have the 1.21 right now. I have very basic settings, just wanted something with gigabit for the ps3 as well as voip with 2 blackberries,  and 2 laptops. Calls get dropped constantly and the on the laptops, some pages load really slowly, or I have to reload. Any ideas?

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »

Well regardless of version if you run fw 1.2x you'll have problems.  My a1 worked ok until i made the mistake of flashing to 1.2x.  I will not ruin my a2 by doing the same thing.

Butcher

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »

Reinvented, is the official 1.21 working better than the beta?

UserCookie69

• Level 1 Member
    • My X-Fire Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »

don't see adifference other its 1.21NA to be honest

also clock time is right on router webpage but on the device itself its a day behind lol
but that has been issue since 1.2

running the A1 version i can honestly say i have not ahd any major issues other than the shareport issue and router reboots every few days
between 6-12 days that i have noticed in the past 2 months going form official 1.2 and now running 1.21
will give more feedback as time goes on

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:20 AM »

Reinvented, is the official 1.21 working better than the beta?

It's the exact same.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2009, 03:39:14 AM »

Well being that 1.20 is an official firmware and is buggy like no other.. We're going to make this code (1.21)official for the users whom aren't aware of forums and don't know where to get this code. Yes we're still working on a fixing the issues you guys are experiencing. 1.21 addresses other issues in 1.20 which is why we're releasing this code along with in house testing and a couple users that have had no problems with this firmware.

Please do not worry.. we're not stopping on making firmware and we hear everything you guys are saying. We keep a close eye on this thread to see what we can find and we will ask you when we need more info.

Seems it is the same as the beta just "official" now.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10