• March 28, 2024, 03:42:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP server set up with DNS-323 and DGL-4500 without using port 21  (Read 12797 times)

misterz100

• Level 1 Member

I have tried everything but nothing seems to work, my drive cant seem to be accessed outside my network at all, the best I got was that it asked for username and password then the page could not be displayed, my ISP blocks port 21 so I have to set it for something else, can anybody help me out here?
EDIT: my firmware version on the DGL is 1.22 and the DNS 1.09

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: FTP server set up with DNS-323 and DGL-4500 without using port 21
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »

Setup the DNS323 for FTP on the standard port, 21.
I'm assuming the DGL-4500 is a router, so setup port forwarding on it using a high port (over 1024). So, set 5555 for example to forward to your local DNS323 IP address on port 21.

Use the external IP of your router and port 5555 (or whatever you are forwarding) for external access.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »

Setup the DNS323 for FTP on the standard port, 21.
I'm assuming the DGL-4500 is a router, so setup port forwarding on it using a high port (over 1024). So, set 5555 for example to forward to your local DNS323 IP address on port 21.

Use the external IP of your router and port 5555 (or whatever you are forwarding) for external access.

I think the chances of this working are about one percent - and that one percent would require the ftp client to have a public ip address and not be behind a NAT firewall/router.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »

I have tried everything but nothing seems to work, my drive cant seem to be accessed outside my network at all, the best I got was that it asked for username and password then the page could not be displayed, my ISP blocks port 21 so I have to set it for something else, can anybody help me out here?
EDIT: my firmware version on the DGL is 1.22 and the DNS 1.09

Attempts to use the DNS-323 with ftp on any port other than 21 usually fail because the NAT firewall/router at the client side, does not know how to deal with the incoming data connection and discards it.

You need to configure the DNS-323 and the router to use passive ftp.

misterz100

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »

OK first off The DGL-4500 has altho of setting but nothing has anything to do with FTP except virtual server, so you mean use virtual server to have a public port of 5555 and private port of 21? And the DNS-323 only has passive setting nothing mentions active :S, do I have to forward the passive ports as well? If so the virtual server can only forward 1 port so i would have to use normal port forwarding...unless I can use a combination of both?  ??? ???

misterz100

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »

OK omg it works thanks much, I was doing that stuff and im like...im sur ei tried this already, then asked a friend to try it and he got acces ^^  ;D you guys are awsome ill go here first next time XD

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:41 PM »

I think the chances of this working are about one percent - and that one percent would require the ftp client to have a public ip address and not be behind a NAT firewall/router.

I've setuip literally hundreds of environments just like this and they all work so I'm not sure why you say it has a 1% chance of success. The OP seems to have it working too.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

I've setuip literally hundreds of environments just like this and they all work so I'm not sure why you say it has a 1% chance of success. The OP seems to have it working too.

Were you using active or passive ftp?  You didn't specify and you also did not instruct the OP to configure for passive ftp - which is why I said it had a 1% possibility of working. 

Active ftp will fail 99% of the time when setup as you described - with the 1%, as I indicated, being when the client is not behind a NAT firewall router.

ftp is different from most protocols in that it uses two separate communication channels - a control channel established from client to server, for which the default is port 21, and a data channel - traditionally, the data channel would be established from server to client and this is where the problem occurs.  When the client is behind a NAT firewall/router, if the control channel is established on port 21, the firewall router knows to forward the incoming request from the server to the requesting client, rather than to block it.  When the control channel is established on a non standard port this "fixup" does not occur - and this was the reason that the OP did not get beyond the username & password request - he already had the non standard port forwarding setup.

Passive ftp was developed to work around this problem - and the difference between the two is that with passive ftp, the data channel is also established from the client to the server, based on a port number sent from the server via the control channel.  For passive ftp to work, it requires forwarding additional ports to the ftp server - which is what was missing from your instructions, and why it was unlikely to work.

Incidentally - prior to the release of the 1.08 firmware, the first release of the firmware in which the passive ftp port can be defined, it was not possible to use the DNS-323 with passive ftp from the internet - I therefore have to assume that the literally hundreds of environments you have set up were not "just like this"- in that they did not use a DNS-323 as the ftp server.

If you have the time to spare, search these forums and see how many people have struggled to get ftp working on a non standard port.

misterz100

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't specify how i did that but from what you just said was what I began to understand. I Used virtual server to forward port 5555 public to 21 private then went in the "gaming section" which is the same as a port forwarding section and forwarded the passive ports 55536-55663. Ive also have successfully used dlinks DynamicDNS so i wouldn't have to check my external IP all the time. So far my only problem seems to be that navigating thur the FTP site required FileZilla and/or firefox to brows, as Internet Explorer 8 only seems to work rarely or not connect at all for reasons I don't understand, also I cant set users with password or connection becomes impossible with any of the above clients or browsers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:35:07 PM by misterz100 »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:42:19 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't specify how i did that but from what you just said was what I began to understand. I Used virtual server to forward port 5555 public to 21 private then went in the "gaming section" which is the same as a port forwarding section and forwarded the passive ports 55536-55663. Ive also have successfully used dlinks DynamicDNS so i wouldn't have to check my external IP all the time. So far my only problem seems to be that navigating thur the FTP site required FileZilla and/or firefox to brows, as Internet Explorer 8 only seems to work rarely or not connect at all for reasons I don't understand, also I cant set users with password or connection becomes impossible with any of the above clients or browsers.

Thanks misterz100 - the line I highlighted is the setting that dosbourne neglected to mention in his posts, and the reason I suggested that his method was unlikely to work.  Forwarding "port 5555 public" to "port 21 private" and configuring the DNS-323's ftp server to listen on port 21 does exactly the same thing as forwarding port 5555 public to port 5555 private and configuring the server to listen on 5555 - it's the forwarding of the passive ports that makes it work.