• April 18, 2024, 07:58:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 Issues  (Read 4407 times)

nopz

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 Issues
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:05:28 AM »

Hi

I have 4 DNS-343 running. I have 2 questions regarding 2 of them.

1. This NAS has 4 drives no RAID has been configured. One drive failed and folders in it cannot be accessed intermittently. I tried scan disk in web interface. At first, it was okay after scan disk. Later, scan disk could not finish and disk problem could not be solved. So, I replaced the disk and restore data from the backup. Though, I still need to transfer some files which were not in the backup. I tried putting the faulty disk in a enclosure and access using sysinternal's linux-reader. Some folders can be recovered. After a while, I cant even see what's inside the folders. It looks like the drive is almost gone. Is there any way I should try to get the data back?

2. The other NAS has 4 disks forming a RAID-5 running on firmware 1.05. Though I am wondering what if the NAS enclosure fails? Would it be possible to purchase a new NAS enclosure, transfer all the 4 disks in the same order and then rebuild? Please suggest.

Thank you very much. I am quite a newbie in RAID and NAS. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-343 Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:46:45 AM »

Addressing your second question: you should be able to physically migrate your RAID-5 array between two DNS-343s. If you want to test this for yourself (without exposing your data) and you have four spare HDDs, you can create a new RAID-5 in one of your DNS-343s and transfer the array to another DNS-343.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

nopz

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-343 Issues
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »

Addressing your second question: you should be able to physically migrate your RAID-5 array between two DNS-343s. If you want to test this for yourself (without exposing your data) and you have four spare HDDs, you can create a new RAID-5 in one of your DNS-343s and transfer the array to another DNS-343.

Thanks JavaLawyer. Do they have to be running the same firmware version? What if the faulty one is running higher firmware version than the running one?