• April 24, 2024, 10:22:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Upgrade firmware without backup  (Read 4412 times)

scotoma

Upgrade firmware without backup
« on: April 06, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »

Hi,

I want to upgrade my firmware so I can stream to my PS3. I don't have another external hard drive to back up my back up to, so can I put in another drive, upgrade the firmware and then put my drives back in?

I currently have firmware 1.02.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,
Pat

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Upgrade firmware without backup
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »

First - if it's your back up, then why would you need to back up your back up?

Second - what would you estimate the value of your data at - or the value of the time and effort it would take to replace it?  How does that compare to the cost of a new disk?

To answer your question - if your disks are formatted ext2 and are standard volumes, yes, you can remove them, install another drive, format that drive, and then upgrade the firmware and put the original disks back in.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

scotoma

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »

First - if it's your back up, then why would you need to back up your back up?
Thats kind of the point I was making. ;D I don't want to have to back up my back up, but thats what the firmware upgrade directions tells one to do. It sounds like the person in charge of coming up with the potential use-cases for this device overlooked a pretty important one...easily upgrading the firmware. :)

Second - what would you estimate the value of your data at - or the value of the time and effort it would take to replace it?  How does that compare to the cost of a new disk?
I already have an extra disk laying around.

To answer your question - if your disks are formatted ext2 and are standard volumes, yes, you can remove them, install another drive, format that drive, and then upgrade the firmware and put the original disks back in.
I am not sure what format my disks are currently in. Interestingly enough I don't see a way to tell in the web based configuration tool either.  Is there a way to change it without deleting all the data? Also, I have them in Raid-1, I guess that means they are not standard volumes.  :-\

What a pain. I am thinking I'll need to get an external hard drive enclosure, copy all my data to it, upgrade firmware and format (or vise versa), then copy everything back to it. Is that the common MO for D-Link firmware upgrades on NAS devices? I have to admit I own a few different D-Link products, but have always been happy with the performance "out of the box", so I have never upgraded the firmware on any of them before.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »

I have no idea what the common MO is for D-Link NAS devices, since the DNS-323 is the only D-Link NAS that I own - and the point I was making about backing up the backup is this - a backup is simply a copy of your data, if you already have the "original" data stored elsewhere, just format the disk and then make another copy of the "original" - of course, this leaves you without a backup if the "original" should somehow become damaged during the period of time that it takes to flash the firmware, format the drives, and then make a new backup copy, but it's your data so who am I to stop you.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »

The firmware is designed to update and not affect the drive data or configuration if you are using FW 1.02b or newer.  To avoid potential complications and loss of files, please back up all files to another location before upgrading firmware. It is recommended to backup your data.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream