• April 19, 2024, 10:35:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: so .. fusterated .  (Read 6665 times)

cartman356

• Level 1 Member
so .. fusterated .
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »

hello , i bought the D-Link DIR - 655 about 3 weeks ago. it came with firmware 1.20. today i was having serious lag problems on xbox live, i was only getting about 34 mbps on wireless via the xbox wifi adapter. my imac was getting 120 mbps on wifi. so i spent some time with port forwarding crap and got so confused i gave up, then noticed i could upgrade my firmware, so i did. i update to 1.21 and then terrible things happened. i couldn't get connected to the internet, now my imac and my xbox could still find the router but i couldn't get any internet. i also download the old firmware and installed it and the internet still wouldn't work ! after hours of fusteration, i come to you people. i will answer any other questions you have about my situation. thanks for your help in my time of need, i really dont want to go out and exchange my router.

Alexx

• Level 2 Member
Re: so .. fusterated .
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »

Well when you firmware upgrade all your settings are reset, so if you can connect to the router but not to the internet after FW upgrade I bet you have the wrong settings. For example if your ISP requires PPPoE.

cartman356

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »

how do i find those settings ? im pretty sure thats what i have , but i dont remember ever putting them into the router in the first place .

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »

You could give the Xbox a static ip as I found the Qos feature and portforwarding with Dir-655 can be touchy @ times depending on your network traffic.

cartman356

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »

ill try that if i ever get the internet to work again

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »

How about starting off with the basics instead of all sorts of iffy configuration issues?

Look at my post here.  Download the app, look at your wireless network, and pick out the best channel to use with your DIR-655.  The firmware update could have triggered a channel change that is less than ideal. 

If you want help, launch the app, then post a screenshot of it and we can help.

Alexx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:48:48 AM »

ttmcmurry, Errm, how about getting his internet sorted out before you try to fix his poor wireless signal? For all we know the firmware upgrade could have fixed that anyway. The problem is that he can connect to the router but no the internet, so it has nothing to do with wireless settings.

cartman356, contact you internett service provider and ask what kind of settings they use. If they use PPPoE you will get a username and password that you can enter in the Internet Connection Setup Wizard. They should be able to help you with that step as well.

coppertrail

• Level 2 Member
Backup settings
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:15:18 AM »

FYI, next time you upgrade the firmware, save your router's settings to your hard drive beforehand. I always do this just in case the upgrade wipes out my settings.

cartman356

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:14:41 AM »

after 2 hours of searching i have found a username and password for my isp (aliant) i will enter them in and see how it turns out, i wrote them down when i first got there internet service.

cartman356

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »

ok i got it working i called my isp and everything is sorted out, now i just need some more help on my xbox wifi, i have the wifi adaptor and im using firmware 1.31 and i can only get about 30-35 mbps and i need faster then that to play lag free. and my imac gets 130 mbps which is great. i dont know

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »

ok i got it working i called my isp and everything is sorted out, now i just need some more help on my xbox wifi, i have the wifi adaptor and im using firmware 1.31 and i can only get about 30-35 mbps and i need faster then that to play lag free. and my imac gets 130 mbps which is great. i dont know

"speed" is not the most important thing when you want to game lag free, 30 - 35 mbps is more then OK. 90% of people have an internet subscription from 4 mbps up to 20 mbps...

It's latency that's important with gaming. And wireless connections usually have one a big 'con' : wireless has a higher latency in 9/10 situations.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

cartman356

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »

yeah i just played a few games and it was fine, i was just wondering because yesturday it was really laggy but maybe the firmware update helped things out , thanks everybody for the help :)

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »

ttmcmurry, Errm, how about getting his internet sorted out before you try to fix his poor wireless signal? For all we know the firmware upgrade could have fixed that anyway. The problem is that he can connect to the router but no the internet, so it has nothing to do with wireless settings.

While a valid point; he said he was connected at 32mbps via wireless.  That tells me there is a signal issue.  Where there is bad signal there is lag.  Where there is lag, there is all sorts of issues waiting to happen.  More importantly, changing settings on the router can mask wireless signal as an issue - meaning it's still there, but you don't see negative side effects as often (read: extra wireless protection).

That's why I said:  START WITH THE BASICS.  Do a site survey, post the graphic of the analysis, and let us look at your wireless environment.  If you can eliminate wireless signal as an issue, then the issue has to be with the router's settings. 

Easy:  Look at a picture to determine if a problem exists
Hard:  Tinker with settings for hours and hope to find the 'perfect combination'

With my suggestion you lose nothing and run a strong chance of fixing a really easy problem.  Always start from easy and work your way to hard. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:46:25 PM by ttmcmurry »