• April 26, 2024, 07:55:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bridging 2 N routers.  (Read 5385 times)

jangotate

• Level 1 Member
Bridging 2 N routers.
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »

Not sure if this can be done. I have 2 D-Link wireless N routers (a DIR-628 and a DIR-655) and I'd like to set them up in a bridge. Here's my infrastructure:

Cable internet coming in to a Motorola SB6120

My Router is a D-Link DGL-4100, it handles my WAN connection and the DHCP for my internal network w/3 desktops connected w/CAT6

The DIR-655 is connected to the 4th port on the DGL-4100 and is my WAP for the network. (Had a lot of problems as a DHCP server, router and internet gateway, but makes an excellent WAP.)

That's all in the basement. On the 1st floor we have all of our entertainment devices connected wirelessly to the DIR-655. An Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and TiVO. All of which use 802.11G.

So I'd like to use my old DIR-628 at the entertainment center - connect all the games, etc w/ethernet to the 628, and then have the 628 connect to the 655 on N only on the 5Ghz bandwidth to increase speed w/all those devices and so that I can go N only on my laptop too to speed things up. I doubt I'll get 300Mbps, but it'll be better than 54.

Am I wasting my time? I'm not getting it to work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

chefnee

• Level 1 Member
Re: Bridging 2 N routers.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:25:11 AM »

Please clarify your question...

I have similar situation. Modem, Wired Router, and an AP (all of which have many devices connected).  If you feel up to the task, you might need to get a gigabit wired router with more ports like 8 ports and you need to to connect both DIR-655 and DIR-628 in the LAN ports.

To make your experience easier, read the user manual for either model of DLink routers.  Specifically, for the DLink DIR-628, in page 14 of 104 in the user manual it will give you instructions to setup a wireless router to act as an AP.

Here is the product manual download:ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir628/Manual/dir628_manual_120.zip

Another suggestion:

I've read online about a technology called WDS.  I have a gigabit router that has this option, Zxyel X-550N.  Research about WDS here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System  I haven't done too much with WDS, but it will be easier because you eliminate extra wiring. In a nutshell, it lets you connect two AP together.

Turning a router into an AP.

I hope this can help:)
***I am not a professional and don't offer any guarantees and/or warranty.***

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:58:38 AM by FurryNutz »

dan02120it

• Level 1 Member
Re: Bridging 2 N routers.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »

Thanks chefnee,

You helped me out big time with this same issue. You rock!