• April 19, 2024, 03:58:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Both disks "Hard Drive Has Failed"  (Read 12005 times)

Patate

• Level 1 Member
Re: Both disks "Hard Drive Has Failed"
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »

I've tried with the left drive: it is recognized as a 526 MB volume with 499MB free (it's a 1TB drive !). There is only a backup folder which is empty. I am feeling bad. Same with the right drive. Linux says it is ext3/ext4 (would not that be rather ext2 ?)

Here is the mail I received on 11/09. And I received it again after restarting the DNS-323 (by removing the power).
         Left Hard Drive Has Failed
         Right Hard Drive Has Failed
   Sincerely,
   Your DNS-323

It think I have firmware 1.05 or 1.06 (I have the first version of the DNS-323, from 2008 I think).

What can I do now ? Is there a chance to recover my data ?

Can I restart the DNS-323 without any disk to try to look after some params (firmware version …) ?

Thank you

edit: Is it possible that I got hacked? The day hard disks failed I received an email to pay otherwise my data would be destroyed but I erased the email. I do not believe it too much.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:57:08 AM by Patate »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 12:28:40 PM »

That sounds bad and yes it is possible you have been hacked especially if your NAS is/was open to the internet.

My 4 DNS-323 NAS are about the same vintage as yours but I run them behind a solid firewall with access to or from the internet (I also run them from a large UPS for power security).

There was a thread in one of the DNS NAS groups about the problems with hacking http://forums.dlink.com/index.php/?topic74592.0  I don't know if that will be helpful or not.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Patate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »

Thank you for your help ivan.

I think the "Backup" folder on the disk is the first of the volume...so maybe the raid1 is implicated.

I will wear the HD tomorrow in a data recovery center.

Patate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 03:10:03 AM »

>>>it is recognized as a 526 MB volume with 499MB free (it's a 1TB drive !).
>>>There is only a "backup" folder which is empty.
It is possible that this folder was the first one on my volume.
Any idea about what happened ?
Is this the fault of RAID 1

(+-900$ for data recovery !)

Thank you

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 02:42:47 AM »

The only time I have seen a problem with a RAID 1 array in the last 20 odd years was when a disk physically died and someone pulled the good disk  rather than the dead one (we were able to recover all their data from the 'good' disk and managed to get them to set up a valid backup system).

Unfortunately all small NAS boxes use what is known as a software raid, where the operating system does the necessary processing and can be a problem if the parity information is damaged in some way.  Once the data structures are damaged or lost, data recovery becomes a long slow process and full recovery is most probably not possible.

In my old company (I am now retired) we had signs saying 'any data that you do not have at least two other copies of is not backed up',  my department added to that with 'and a third tested copy held off site'.

I am very sorry that you appear to have lost your data, I think we have all lost data at some point, but you must consider the value of the data against the cost of possible partial recovery.  That is something I can't advise you on.

Patate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:40 AM »

I think I should have cut the power directly after receiving the mail "failed" for both drives.

But as the lights were blue and not amber, I turned off the power and turned it back on. Then the self-rebuild may have messed up.

I do not think I would use RAID1 again.
I have another NAS (Synology) and it uses SHR.

Patate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 04:13:38 AM »

I finally was able to recover my data using Linux Live and mdadm.
There was only one bad sector on the right disk (left disk was fine).
I've tried to format the two disk and to do several hard reset but the NAS still don't "see" the disks (total drives: 0 and "HDD1 Hard Drive Has Failed" & "HDD2 Hard Drive Has Failed" in the logs).

There are 3 possibilities according to my researches:
- 3V button cell should be replaced
- the power supply unit should be replaced
- the NAS is dead

Pages: 1 [2]