• April 17, 2024, 07:02:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Completely Stumped  (Read 4240 times)

Terra3

• Level 1 Member
Completely Stumped
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »

Had a PC with an Asus P4C800E Deluxe m/b.  Has an Intel 82547EI  Gigabit LAN controller.  Had this running perfectly well in my home network; all working through a D55.

Rebuilt a new PC with the same m/b for my bro.  Installed all drivers (all in WinXP SP3), updated versions of all.  Tested connection with my broadband direct i.e. w/o the D55 and connection good.  However, whenever I hook up a network cable from the D55 to the PC, the entire PC freezes.  Whether at boot (i.e. with cable attached before power up) . . . where it just hangs at the initial boot screen, or in WinXP (with network icon indicating cable unhooked) . . . . where as soon as the cable is connected, the machine freezes with no functionality at all re: mouse, keyboard . . . only hard reboot and unhooking network cable will resolve.  Tried a number of immediate things and can't figure why this isn't working.  And I did input the MAC address of the PC into the router software to allow it to connect.

One item that may or may not be important (never used this before so unsure if I even did this right) is when I run network diagnostics/tests, the computer freezes on the final loopback test.  Now I run all the tests without any connection to the machine; uncertain if that alone caused the issue with the loopback fault.

Understand there are many layers to this, but as I've used this same m/b in 3 computers with no LAN problems, I can't even begin to think any longer as to what to check out.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Completely Stumped
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »

A router causing a hang on a PC...never seen that and probably will never see that.

Only possible....when the LAN port used is causing an electric interference/surge. This might be you NIC causing it, the fact that other network devices (modem) do not cause it may be because thet device has better shielded RJ-45 jacks.

Have you tried an other LAN port on the D655?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »

Hi,

Have you tried a different ethernet cable, or in some way proven the cable is known good ?

Can you look into the ethernet port and see if any of the little pins are crossed in some way ?

Do you have one of those USB to Ethernet dongle thingys to try another ethernet port for freezing ?

You may well have a bad ethernet controller chip....that as long as its unconnected to a cable, doesn't otherwise interfere with normal pc operation.  Might have to get a PCI or USB ethernet NIC....no biggie.  It happens

Sd1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »

Had a PC with an Asus P4C800E Deluxe m/b.  Has an Intel 82547EI  Gigabit LAN controller.  Had this running perfectly well in my home network; all working through a D55.

Rebuilt a new PC with the same m/b for my bro.  Installed all drivers (all in WinXP SP3), updated versions of all.  Tested connection with my broadband direct i.e. w/o the D55 and connection good.  However, whenever I hook up a network cable from the D55 to the PC, the entire PC freezes.  Whether at boot (i.e. with cable attached before power up) . . . where it just hangs at the initial boot screen, or in WinXP (with network icon indicating cable unhooked) . . . . where as soon as the cable is connected, the machine freezes with no functionality at all re: mouse, keyboard . . . only hard reboot and unhooking network cable will resolve.  Tried a number of immediate things and can't figure why this isn't working.  And I did input the MAC address of the PC into the router software to allow it to connect.

One item that may or may not be important (never used this before so unsure if I even did this right) is when I run network diagnostics/tests, the computer freezes on the final loopback test.  Now I run all the tests without any connection to the machine; uncertain if that alone caused the issue with the loopback fault.

Understand there are many layers to this, but as I've used this same m/b in 3 computers with no LAN problems, I can't even begin to think any longer as to what to check out.

Hi Terra3,

You need a special adapter for completing the Loopback tests. Check for pinched wires. D55? What is that? I would fully boot up the computer without connecting the Ethernet Cable during the bootup. After it completes booting up, attach the Ethernet Cable. Check operation. Make sure that the Network Filter is off.

Make sure that nothing is running to access the Internet like a Instant Messenger program.

If it is hanging, I would leave the Ethernet Cable hooked up to the Router and reformat and reinstall the operating system from scratch.

You might have picked the wrong drivers for the Ethernet port. Let Windows pick the correct drivers.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

KevTech

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »

And I did input the MAC address of the PC into the router software to allow it to connect.

This may be your problem if one of the numbers or letters were incorrect.

Reset the router to defaults (pinhole in back of router).