• March 28, 2024, 03:56:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to configure Harmony remote for the DSM-312  (Read 55541 times)

holmes4

• Level 3 Member
How to configure Harmony remote for the DSM-312
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »

I am trying to configure a Harmony 880 remote for the DSM-312, but I can't even find an appropriate category for the device.  I tried "set top box" and entered D-Link and DSM-312, but it didn't know it, so I had to program each key individually.  Is there another choice that works better?

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: How to configure Harmony remote for the DSM-312
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:53:19 AM »

The DSM-312 isn't on the Harmony compatibility list, but fortunately, the DSM-310 is on the list. The DSM-310 and DSM-312 were released at the same time and appear to have the same remote. Here are the device selection parameters to track down the DSM-310 using the Logitech app:

• Device: Computer > Media Center PC
  • Manufacturer: D-Link
  • Model: DSM-310

Please post back and let us know if the DSM-310 settings work for you.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

holmes4

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »

No, it doesn't seem to work at all.  None of the buttons are recognized by the DSM-312 and the set includes buttons the DSM-312 remote doesn't have, such as number buttons.  I ended up learning all the buttons.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »

Thanks for following up.  Does the Logitech support site / community forum have a request area to add profiles for new devices?

holmes4

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

Probably - I'll go check there.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:13:09 AM »

Again, please post back and let us know if you make any progress.  ;)

holmes4

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »

The forum has no place for such requests.  I asked Logitech support to add the DSM-312.  I got back a form response which expressed sorrow that I was dissatisfied with the remote, which I never said, and otherwise took a rather defensive attitude. I do software tech support for a large company and I'd be embarrassed if I ever sent a response like that to a customer.

Apparently the way it works is that if someone manually adds codes for an unknown device, they add it to their database. Sometime between the first time I tried it and the second, it "recognized" the entry of DSM-312 but gave me complete nonsense for remote codes. I suspect someone else entered these and gave the wrong device model.

It isn't really that big a deal to add the codes manually for the small number of buttons on the remote and I have now done that. I've generally been very happy with the Harmony remotes and this is the first time it has missed as device for me, but I admit that the DSM-312 is new.

I wish that there was a more comprehensive manual for the DSM-312, but I've managed to figure out the more obscure parts (such as the Settings pages.)

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »

I've had the Harmony One for 3+ years and couldn't be happier with the device. I've also manually added button codes for a few niche devices, and agree that if Logitech is relying strictly on user input for DB entry, with no QA, then that is a recipe for disaster. If I were to guess, mainstream devices are added by Logitech, while niche devices are added by users. If the DSM-310 is in their DB, I presume the DSM-312 will be soon to follow.

As far as documentation is concerned, it looks like D-Link only published a QIG (Quick Install Guide). Hopefully a manual is forthcoming, although I haven't seen anything yet for either the DSM-310 or DSM-312

Thanks for following up.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:28:01 AM by JavaLawyer »

holmes4

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »

I have been using Harmony remotes for probably 10 years now. I have a Harmony One but my wife hates it so she uses an 880.

The database entry for the DSM-310 is just as wrong as the one for the DSM-312.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »

Based on the erroneous data, it looks as though both DSM entries were user contributions. In lieu of manual entries, we'll have to wait for Logitech to provide official device profiles.

Harmony One is great, but D-Link threw me for a loop when I got my Boxee Box.  I wasn't about to trade-up for an RF Harmony for one device.