• April 20, 2024, 02:06:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Motion detection to sensitive  (Read 16816 times)

TheNinthPlayer

• Level 1 Member
Motion detection to sensitive
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:41:48 AM »

My DCS-932L is emailing me every 30 seconds telling me motion was detected. I've tried lowering the sensitivity all the way to 1 and checking only one box, but I'm still getting emails constantly. I doubt its light related because it happens way to often and the fact that the checked box is a door at the end of a windowless hallway.

What could be causing this issue?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Motion detection to sensitive
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »

The algorithm for motion detection typically looks for a change in the average pixel values in the coordinate range you've selected.  A very low sensitivity (such as 1%) should require a very very large change in values to trigger an event.

Motion detection on my DCS-932L seems to stabilize at around 20%, and that's a in dynamic environment with shifting light patterns from a window casting light into the area being monitored.

I'm not sure if this will affect anything, but under Setup -> Video, did you try increasing the Resolution, FPS, and JPG Quality.  If the motion detection algorithm is executed after the image quality/FPS pre-processing, these settings may impact the results.  Also, is the camera in night or day mode when these detections are occurring?  Try testing the motion detection in "Always Day Mode" and "Always Night Mode" and see if the results vary.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:20:42 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

pykr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

I doubt its light related because it happens way to often and the fact that the checked box is a door at the end of a windowless hallway.

try reversing the blocked area.  you want the blue "checkered" squares over the area that you DON'T want motion detected. so if you want motion detection on the door, then the door should not have the blue checkered box over it.  and you can set the sensitivity to something like 30 or 40. give that a try and report back.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »

try reversing the blocked area.  you want the blue "checkered" squares over the area that you DON'T want motion detected. so if you want motion detection on the door, then the door should not have the blue checkered box over it.  and you can set the sensitivity to something like 30 or 40. give that a try and report back.

If that's the problem -- good catch! (the simplest answers are usually the correct ones)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Ken

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »

I had/have the same problem. Came home to over 450 emails one day, over 300 another time. No discernible movement in any of the pix. Also, the instruction for the selection of blocks to detect motion isn't all that clear. Since all the blocks are clear on start-up and the instructions say to "Use mouse to click the blocks where you want to monitor for motion" one would think that the checkered blocks are where motion is detected since checkered blocks come up on the clicked blocks.

The instructions should be a bit more accurate.

ken
DCS-930
DCS-932L
Netgear N Router
WPA2 Wireless Security

euphoria

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »

The instructions should be a bit more accurate.

The instruction says:

Detection Areas - The screen is divided into blocks of 5 (horizontal) x 5 (vertical). Specify the detection area by left-clicking the mouse on the blocks of preview screen. The area valid for motion detection is displayed in blue.

ehuna

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »

Ok, now I'm confused.

pykr above says: "you want the blue 'checkered' squares over the area that you DON'T want motion detected."

Then euphoria above says: "The area valid for motion detection is displayed in blue."

Which one is it?

A) The checkered square blue areas ARE NOT monitored for motion detection.
B) The checkered square blue areas ARE monitored for motion detection.

peter3629

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:10:53 PM »

The answer is B.