• April 27, 2024, 03:08:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 RevB Wireless Makes Router Reboot?  (Read 11781 times)

420Ryme

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 RevB Wireless Makes Router Reboot?
« on: August 10, 2009, 07:05:55 AM »

Hello all,

Last night I found the most strange problem with my DIR-615 RevB. I found that the router kept spontaneously rebooting every 10-15 seconds, with all of the lights on the router coming on and going solid then boom down she would go (rinse and repeat). I did the normal troubleshooting steps of hard power cycling which made no change. The next step is where I found something odd.

I used a pen to hit the reset button on the back of the router and power cycled again. This time I was able to login to the router and move around without it rebooting on me. Strange right? So I started to set things back up exactly the way they were before and had been working for years without issue. As soon as I enable the wireless with WPA security set up I get a message saying "Warning, some changes you have made may cause WI-FI security to not work correctly". Which is weird because as stated above I have used the same settings for well over a year without fail. Once the settings were saved the cycle of reboots would start all over again.

My settings :
Firmware 2.25
DHCP with 2 machines hard wired and 5 machines wireless
WAP (all default settings) other then a 53 character key using letters and numbers only
Wireless - all default settings other then a network name of GoAheadAndTry (I live in a college town so stealing wireless is a norm) Network is visable
DHCP IP reservations for my two wired machines
Admin Password set.

Now, if I reset (button in back) and leave wireless disabled I was able to brows the internet for 2+ hours via my wired machines. It's only when I enable wireless that the problem starts all over again.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting gladly accepted as I have a house full of college girls getting ready for school to start and my ass is grass if I don't get this back up today.

Thanks,
Ryme

420Ryme

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 RevB Wireless Makes Router Reboot?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »

Oh one addition, I did try to reflash the 2.25 firmware and it seemd to have worked correctly (though I was using firefox) but made no change to the original issue. When I get home from work I will try internet explorer and make sure it works correctly. Reading around the forums.. you learn stuff. lol

420Ryme

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5851.0

So exactly how does symantec endpoint protection (firewall) cause wireless reboots on D-Link routers?

*cookies for the person who can explain this to me*

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall SEP with only the anti-virus when I get home and see if it resolves the issue like it did for Whitey.

FINGERS CROSSED!

420Ryme

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »

THE FIX WORKED!!!!!

All I had to do was disable the firewall portion of SEP and I'm now good to go. With the popularity of SEP D-Link should really sticky that thread. I almost went out and spent 130$ on a new Linksys gigbit router.

Thank you so much Whitey!

echoDreamz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »

You should have bought the Linksys, I have had nothing but crap experiences with the 615 until I got the WRT160N, never looked back.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:25:47 AM »

I second the feelling that the DIR-615 (B) is a bad product.  Constant reboots when wireless radio enabled.  Poorly designed "modules" do not help either.

bc3tech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:10:27 AM »

I second the feelling that the DIR-615 (B) is a bad product.  Constant reboots when wireless radio enabled.  Poorly designed "modules" do not help either.
if the B is a bad product then there's such a thing as a recall that dlink should do if it were a proper company. I'm sorely disappointed in my B's wireless performance as of late and will probably be purchasing a new router this weekend. It won't be a dlink.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:25:13 AM »

Recalls are for "dangerous" products.  Since most routers are only used to make a network and Internet access, I would believe that a recall will never be "issued."