• March 28, 2024, 02:42:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router Connecting to Other Devices But Not Laptop  (Read 6303 times)

jstacy

• Level 1 Member
Router Connecting to Other Devices But Not Laptop
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »

Hello everyone,

I've tried to get some help with this issue on a couple of other forums, but I found this one for D-Link and as I am running a D-Link DIR-601, I thought someone here might be able to help.

This might be a bit of a longer post as I'd like to explain the issue and the steps I've taken to try to fix it. Hopefully I won't forget anything, but that is a possibility.

A few weeks ago, my laptop wasn't connecting wirelessly to the Internet. This happens very occasionally, and usually unplugging the router for a bit fixes the issue. This and other usual fixes weren't working, so I eventually decided to reset the router. I didn't want to do this as I knew it would mean setting up the network again, but I needed a connection for work and was getting desperate.

After the reset, I went to the address that allowed me to log in and set up the router again. I'd done it before using the wizard, so I didn't expect any issues.

Upon setting it up, though, the laptop "could not connect to this network."

Running the troubleshooter revealed that there was "A problem with the router or access point," although it was not one that the troubleshooter could fix by itself.

Since the troubleshooter could not help, I tried a few things to get the issue to go away.

1. I released and renewed the IP address.
2. I reset the TCP/IP stack,
3. I ensured the Wired and WLAN autoconfigs were running.
4. I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless network adapter via Device Manager
5. I attempted to restart the DHCP Client in Services although I was unable to do this even as an Administrator.
6. I used Command Prompt to do a netsh winsock reset catalog
7. I edited the registry to grant full control permissions to both DHCP and NETWORK SERVICE (this last I did on the advice of an admin on a different forum as we were running out of things to try)

None of these things have helped thus far, unfortunately, and I'm still stuck using an Ethernet cable for now.

The more mystifying issue is that Wi-Fi works for the laptop and the router still works. The laptop can connect to other networks (provided that they are open) just fine.

The router can also connect to other devices in my home just fine, and it can connect to them via my secured network, the one that I would like the laptop to connect to. So, they both seem to work fine, but they have a communication issue with each other. I am not sure what else to do. Just about the only thing I haven't tried is wiping the network again to go back in and set the security to "Open," to see if that might work. But I can't do that via the wizard and would have to do it manually, destroying the current wireless setup. I'd hate to do that without knowing if it would fix the issue--and of course I don't want to just leave my network unsecured anyway.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

This is a recent problem that probably has some communication issue at its heart, but since both devices work with other things/networks, I don't know what the issue is.

When I add a network in Windows 10, the five security types I have are:

Open
WEP
WPA2-Personal AES
WPA2-Professional AES
802.11x WEP

In the wizard for the DIR-601, just WPA is the closest one I am able to choose from the dropdown menu, and I wonder if this has something to do with it, but I am not sure. I choose WPA2-Personal in Windows 10 as it seems the closest, but since it is not exactly like my choice in the wizard, I wonder if that is causing some issue.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post, and I'd be grateful for any assistance.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Router Connecting to Other Devices But Not Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:07:35 AM »

Seems like if this one laptop is the only one having problems and seems to only connect to OPEN wifi networks, then the problem would be the wifi adapter in the laptop. The adapter should be able to connect to OPEN networks along with secured networks like WPA2 with AES mode set.

Be sure the wifi adapter drivers are up to date.

I would get with the Mfr of this laptop and ask them for help and information regarding the wifi adapter.

Also the DIR-601 is old now and EOL. I would consider getting into something newer. DIR-1360 or 1960.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jstacy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:29:51 AM »

Thanks for your response FurryNutz.

I will check to make sure drivers are up-to-date and get in touch with the laptop mfg.

I was thinking about a new router anyway since the 601 is indeed old... I just wasn't sure if that would fix the problem, so I haven't done it yet. But it seems like it would be the simplest solution for this issue.

I really hope something in the laptop isn't broken beyond repair. It is only a couple of years old and I am not in a position to replace it for now. I'm grateful Ethernet at least works.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »

Let us know what you find out.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.