• April 23, 2024, 07:21:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has the DIR-855 been redesigned ?  (Read 13988 times)

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
Has the DIR-855 been redesigned ?
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:51:42 AM »

Looks like D-Link has begun distribution of the DIR-855 Router again. I lost the bid on the last one to come up for auction on EBay about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to buy one for several months at a reasonable price. Yesterday I received email stating that AntOnline had a limited number in stock. I went to their website and saw a strange looking picture of what they claim to be an 855. The picture showed the usual white case with the usual black waistband but it had 10 fancy looking LEDs on the front , 3 BLACK antennas, and NO LCD display ! The image was so small and so low res that I couldn't made out the model number on the right hand side. I couldn't match the image with anything on the D-Link website. Since it was selling at a half-way reasonable price I decided to buy it. ( Hope it's not that E-Link EIR-855 Hong Kong knock-off..LOL !) Lycan would you comment please ?

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
Re: Has the DIR-855 been redesigned ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:06:20 AM »

You bought something off of eBay claims to be a specific model but doesn't even look like it?  That is very risky.  I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't some ripoff router.  At that point you are up a creek without a paddle for support and firmware.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it and wish you the best of luck with it.

Let us know what you get.  ;D

Wesleyrpg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »

sounds like you bought yourself a DIR-825.....

arod

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »

Looks like D-Link has begun distribution of the DIR-855 Router again. I lost the bid on the last one to come up for auction on EBay about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to buy one for several months at a reasonable price. Yesterday I received email stating that AntOnline had a limited number in stock. I went to their website and saw a strange looking picture of what they claim to be an 855. The picture showed the usual white case with the usual black waistband but it had 10 fancy looking LEDs on the front , 3 BLACK antennas, and NO LCD display ! The image was so small and so low res that I couldn't made out the model number on the right hand side. I couldn't match the image with anything on the D-Link website. Since it was selling at a half-way reasonable price I decided to buy it. ( Hope it's not that E-Link EIR-855 Hong Kong knock-off..LOL !) Lycan would you comment please ?

Magnetron1 ,

LOL.. A white case with black antennas!?! That's not one of our products. :o Also 3 antennas and no LCD screen?? Would you happen to have a picture you can post of this product?

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »

Here is a link to the website which has a picture , a description , and a price. If you click on image viewer you will see a larger image. What is this thing ????

http://www.antonline.com/p_D-Link-Systems--Inc.--DIR-855--Xtreme-N-Duo-Media-Router-Qos-Dualband-Draft-802.11N-_481071.htm

arod

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »

Magnetron1,

To be honest.. Not sure what product that is.   ??? Thanks for the link. We will try to find out what this product really is. It could be possible the website posted the wrong picture. Also noticed the specs are different as well.  :-\

aleicgrant

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:14 PM »

correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt the label on the bottom of the routers clearly have the model #

arklab

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

Gee, this could be interesting!  ???
I ordered the DIR-855 from AntOnline.com (through Amazon.com).
I checked both Amazon and Antonline first (to verify that it seemed to really be in stock), and I vouch that the pictures on both sites were the same as on D-Links website.

However, since both routers are (almost) identical internally, it IS an interesting concept.

Still, my money is on photoshop.

arod

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »

Magnetron1 ,

Do you have this product in house already or is it still being shipped? Please keep us posted what you actually received by the model number.

correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt the label on the bottom of the routers clearly have the model #

aleicgrant,

True, you could look at the bottom or on the corner of the unit. But it appears Magetron1 hasn't received the unit yet and the picture provided in the link gets really distorted when you zoom in.

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »

Ru-Fi-Oh ,

I just received an email this morning from AntOnline saying that they regretted to inform me that they are unable to ship because one on their suppliers failed to meet a promised shipment date. After chastising them about selling something they didn't have, I gave them 10 days to fill the order. I'll keep you posted......

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »

I called them and questioned them about the Image on thier site, the rep couldn't comment. I've requested that, this issue be looked in to by our team.

aleicgrant

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »

model number is CLEARLY listed on the bottom for those who want to know

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »

i've seen that image before. Thats what many online stores used as the product image for the dir-855 over a year ago. Guess thier person that handles that forgot to update.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »

A Google images search for DIR-855 show a lot of sales sites using that picture in their descriptions.

arklab

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:10 AM »

Well, my DIR-855 has arrived from ANTOnline, and it is the usual and expected router with OLED display and three white antennas.

It is a hardware rev A2, with firmware 1.10.

I REALLY hope that the beta gets released soon!  (Please, Lycan - it's needed!)
Pages: [1] 2