• March 29, 2024, 04:48:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Newbie-Identification and how to proceed!?  (Read 3221 times)

Sarvesh

• Level 2 Member
Newbie-Identification and how to proceed!?
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »

Just bought a DNS-323 from Canada and am back to mauritius. On the product is written
H/W Ver: C1
F/W Ver: 1.09

What firmware should i upgrade to for support of samsung spinpoint HDD. Someone on the forum said upgrade to 1.10b but on the download site i found : 1.11, 1.12NA. This NA(north america) is confusing me.
thanks.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Newbie-Identification and how to proceed!?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »

You do not need to upgrade the firmware, unless you need support for Advanced Format hard drives.
According to the beta sub forum, the latest version is 1.10b6 and when I asked the question about installing it in the UK I was told that it was independant of country.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Sarvesh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »

Yes.the samsung spinpoint is advance format.can somebody post a link from the forum itself how to flash firmware without bricking!?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

What firmware should i upgrade to for support of samsung spinpoint HDD. Someone on the forum said upgrade to 1.10b but on the download site i found : 1.11, 1.12NA. This NA(north america) is confusing me.
thanks.

Do you have a link to these?  As far as I'm aware D-Link's latest stable (ie non beta) firmware is 1.09.

Yes.the samsung spinpoint is advance format.can somebody post a link from the forum itself how to flash firmware without bricking!?

There is no guarantee that a firmware upgrade will happen without bricking the device, it's just a chance you'll have to take.

First download & unpack the firmware to a drive on your computer.

Connect the DNS-323 and the PC you will be running the upgrade from directly to your router, do not use wireless, power them from a UPS (to prevent a power outage from interrupting the upgrade), open a browser window to the DNS-323's admin web page, click on the tools tab and select firmware, click browse, browse to the firmware which you have previously downloaded and unpacked, click apply, and pray - follow the prompts.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

lookingforinfo

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »

If al all possible, beg, borrow or buy a small disk that is not an AF disk and play with the unit before you take on the the fun of installing beta firmware.  fordem and others give good advice, but I think a new user should become familiar with the basics first.