• May 14, 2024, 05:44:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Have to Keep Re-Connecting to WMP  (Read 6014 times)

Bowler

• Level 1 Member
Have to Keep Re-Connecting to WMP
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »

I just got the DSM-750.  The Set up was really easy and everything seemed great.  Then, I shut it down and left for awhile and when I started it back up it said it couldn't find my Windows Media Center PC and I had to re-do the 8 digit code and the set up in my Computer.  I did it for a second time, but again when I shut it off and restarted it wanted me to redo the set up.

Can anyone help?

Kittyburgers

• Level 2 Member
Re: Have to Keep Re-Connecting to WMP
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »

Are you using Vista or Win7?  What kind of router are you using; wired or wireless connection?

Bowler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:51:18 AM »

I am using Vista Home Premium.

Wireless connection, with a D-link DIR-655.

Norton 360.

Thanks for any help.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:04:55 PM »

Its the Norton 360 I bet causing this. I was seeing this same issue on a PC with Windows Live One Care and the software seemed to be malfunctioning and was blocking stuff and stopped even prompting the user anymore. Removing Windows Live One care resolved the issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Bowler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

I really don't want to remove Norton 360 to make the DSM-750 work.  Is there a work around, such as adding a traffic rule (opening ports), etc.?

Thanks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »

Try this: Modify the Firewall Program Rules

1    Start Norton 360.

2    Click Tasks & Settings.

3    Click Change Advanced Settings.

4    Click Firewall Protection Settings.

5    On the Firewall Program Rules tab, in the Program column, scroll through the list until you find any or all of the following applications:

* ehshell.exe
        * Mcrdsvc.exe
        * Svchost.exe
        * MCXNetTw.exe
        * MCRMgr.exe
        * Ehexthost.exe

6    For each of the applications that you find, change the Access from Block or Custom to Allow.

7    Click Apply > Close.

8    Click Yes.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Bowler

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »

So I had gone through the suggestion below already and allowed all of those and it didn't work.  I had a Xbox 360 before and had nothing but problems so returned it to try the DSM-750 instead.  In trying to set up the Xbox 360 they had me do the below and it didn't work, but it was already set when I installed the DSM-750.

But, the good news is I appeared to have fixed the problem, so all my time spent messing with the Xbox 360 isn't a complete waste.  Mind you this has only worked for one night so far, so hopefully it will be a long term solution.

In case it helps anyone else, I wanted to post what I did.  For Xbox 360 they had me open ports in Norton 360 (done by creating new rules with the specific ports) as well as opening ports on the DIR-655 in the virtual server.

For the DSM-750, in the FAQ there is a question that states: "How do I configure non-Microsoft Firewalls?" - in the answer a bunch of specific UDP and TCP ports are listed.  I went through the virtual server for DIR-655 and opened each of those and in Norton 360 I created new traffic rules to allow each of those specific ports (you can use spaces between port numbers to have more then one port per rule).

For anyone who is not sure how to open ports.  When I was dealing with the xbox 360, I just searched it for Norton 360 and found the answer online, and the d-link support people were helpful for the wireless router once I had the necessary port numbers in front of me.

I don't know that one or the other would have been sufficient, as I did both at the same time, and now that it is working, I don't want to mess with it.

Anyway, the end result is everything appears to be working for now.

Thank you ECF for your help.

megamawax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »

I have a DSM-750 and Windows 7.  Currently, Windows Firewall is the only one I have installed.  However, every time I power up the extender and start Media Center mode, it prompts me to set up the extender again - it says it can't find my PC.  When I had Vista Ultimate and Norton Internet Security, I had no problems.  Has anyone else had similar issues?  Thanks.